PDA

View Full Version : Wagner T206 Pack

Archive
03-13-2008, 08:01 PM
Posted By: <b>mike</b><p>What do you think the investment in this was?<br /><br /><br /><a href="http://tinyurl.com/2un5rw" target="_new">http://tinyurl.com/2un5rw</a>

Archive
03-13-2008, 08:04 PM
Posted By: <b>Anthony S.</b><p>He won it in a pool game.

Archive
03-13-2008, 08:19 PM
Posted By: <b>Steve</b><p>I'm confused. Can someone explain this?<br /><br /><br />Steve

Archive
03-13-2008, 08:33 PM
Posted By: <b>Jim VB</b><p>Steve,<br /><br />C'mon! Get with it! <br /><br />Almost 100 years ago Sweet Cap packaged some cigs. They put a baseball card in each pack (or maybe, sometimes, two!). But sometimes, maybe they didn't put any in. <br /><br />In this case they may have put in one real card (or maybe not.) AND a reprint of the most famous card ever. <br /><br />This guy is the proud owner, and soon to be seller, of this pack which has been graded a GAI 8, except that the Wagner hasn't been graded so he's selling that one as a "reprint" but only because of "Ebay's rules"<br /><br />I mean, how much clearer could he make it?

Archive
03-13-2008, 08:46 PM
Posted By: <b>Steve</b><p>lol

Archive
03-13-2008, 09:55 PM
Posted By: <b>Elm</b><p>I'm not a graded card guy. Is GAI one of the garbage grading companies? If not, how did this idiot get them to grade an obvious fraud?

Archive
03-14-2008, 06:01 AM
Posted By: <b>Ralph</b><p>Looking at the pack in it's slab I can't make out what the year states.It looks like 1909-1919.Is the last numbers 10 or 19?

Archive
03-14-2008, 06:35 AM
Posted By: <b>Brian</b><p>

Archive
03-14-2008, 06:43 AM
Posted By: <b>Fred</b><p>The letter states the cert # is: 10043898 with a grade of 5.<br /><br />Now the seller states a number different then the letter: 10045031<br /><br />So what number is it?<br /><br />This card has been graded and authenticated by Global's team of experts.<br />It is authentic as long as it stays encapsulated within the Global Card Holder.<br /> <br />Manufacturer 0 1909-19 Sweet Caporal N/A <br />Player TOBACCO PACK<br />Sport Baseball<br />Cert Number 10043898<br />Grade 5<br /> <br />Manufacturer 0 1909-19 Sweet Caporal N/A <br />Player TOBACCO PACK<br />Sport Baseball<br />Cert Number 10045031<br />Grade 8<br /><br />

Archive
03-14-2008, 08:49 AM
Posted By: <b>Jodi Birkholm</b><p>I did a player search on baseball-reference.com and retrosheet.org for somebody named "Tobacco Pack", but came up empty-handed. Was he a Southern Leaguer? Perhaps somebody with access to SABR's minor league database could settle my curiosity once and for all.

Archive
03-14-2008, 09:22 AM
Posted By: <b>Steve</b><p>Wasn't he the second cousin of the Tabasco Kid?

Archive
03-14-2008, 12:20 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>The seller says he has to sell the card as a reprint, as he can't authenticate it because it's in the holder.<br /><br />Needless to say, this is one of the dumbest things I've seen on eBay, and I'm sure GAI didn't encapsulate that card with the pack.<br /><br />There are more holes in this seller's story than in swiss cheese. For example, he tells how the order of packaging (box then insert cigs then insert card) was out of order, thus the card was accidentally packaged on the outside. Even if this made any sense (which it doesn't), how would the card stick to the outside of the pack? There was no glue on the card or the outside of the box. The card would have fallen off the box 99 years ago-- in other words 1 second after it was "factory packaged" to the box.<br /><br />And, of course, it makes perfect sense when you have a $500,000 card affixed to a $60 pack of cigarettes to have the pack professionally authenticated and graded but not the card. That's like bringing in your Rolls Royce to have the box of kleenex in the glove compartment appraised.<br /><br />Though being packaged on the outside of the box would explain why the T206 Wagners are almost always in low grade.

Archive
03-14-2008, 01:45 PM
Posted By: <b>Steve</b><p>This is not the first scam that this guy has been involved with.<br /><br />Last yr. I remember a CU thread about him.<br /><br /><br />Steve

Archive
03-14-2008, 04:18 PM
Posted By: <b>Corey</b><p>I began collecting t206 only last year and am not nearly as experienced most of the members of this board. I find this really pathetic and sad. His ebay name should be Sketchy666.

Archive
03-16-2008, 02:35 PM
Posted By: <b>Adam</b><p>Looks like Fast Eddy is pulling in at least 2k. I have no idea why someone would pay that for this.

Archive
03-17-2008, 01:15 AM
Posted By: <b>jamie</b><p>why would you ever trust a fast eddie.. this guy is listing the card as a reprint... but if you read into his answers to buyers questions all he does is try to explain how the card is probably real and just hasnt been authenticated... who is more retarded.. the seller or the authentication company that put this pack in a capsule... or is even that a fake... I think I saw fast eddie before dealing 3-card-monte on the corner of 42nd street

Archive
03-17-2008, 01:27 PM
Posted By: <b>Steve</b><p>darn, it's dead