PDA

View Full Version : Hall of Fame Level System ?

Archive
03-12-2008, 03:43 PM
Posted By: <b>Mike</b><p>There has been I think I read between 16,000-17,000 major leaguers over the years. If 1% make the Hall of Fame , that would be about 160-170 players. Currently there are 199 former players in the Hall of Fame. So if about 30-40 players were eliminated it would be about right.<br /><br />I really believe the Hall of Fame should be set up on a level system : Platinum, Gold, Silver and Bronze levels. Therefore a Cobb, Ruth, Wagner, Johnson , Mays etc would not be on the same level as Rizzuto, Sutter, Goosage etc. Maybe they should be the 1% that is included in the Hall of Fame but at the Bronze level. Still an honor but not the Platinum level.<br /><br />

Archive
03-12-2008, 03:58 PM
Posted By: <b>Jodi Birkholm</b><p>That's a fun theory, although it kinda reminds me of choosing what octane content I want in my petroleum! "Fill her up with Yaztrzemski, please, and check the oil!".

Archive
03-12-2008, 04:10 PM
Posted By: <b>Paul Carek</b><p>Interesting, Mike, but what makes you think there will be any less controversy with a tiered system? There'll still be fierce debates about who belongs where, and who gets in in the first place.

Archive
03-12-2008, 04:50 PM
Posted By: <b>Mark Lutz</b><p>The system already exists, insofar as the Baseball Writers elect the highest class and the Veteran's Committee elect the everyday, ordinary immortals.