PDA

View Full Version : o/t - ahh, baseball & great catches

Archive
03-08-2008, 11:20 AM
Posted By: <b>steve</b><p>What do you folks appreciate most about baseball?<br /><br />With coffee this morning, espn had a top 30 greatest catches - WOW! Absolutly incredible acrobatics to make these catches!<br /><br />They showed Ichiro with a web gem - almost brought tears to my eyes - I saw him last summer (with my dad) single handedly beat the Angels with couple RBI's - clutch.<br /><br />My wife wanted me to get ready, but I put my foot down and told her, "after these replays." I think she understood. After every replay, out came a loud, "Oh my gosh, did you see that!" <br /><br />I am a competitive masters swimmer 42 yrs old, and because of my athletic background, I truly appreciate what these players can do.<br /><br />Giver me a web gem over a HR anyday, steve.

Archive
03-08-2008, 11:32 AM
Posted By: <b>Addie_Joss</b><p>In his prime jim edmonds could do some amazing things in the outfield.

Archive
03-08-2008, 11:39 AM
Posted By: <b>Brian Weisner</b><p><br /> I have seen Andruw Jones make so many unbelievable catches that's it's impossible to choose the best. He also has the uncanny ability to make a spectacular play seem ordinary. He was born to play Center field...<br /><br /> Be well Brian<br /><br />PS Atlanta will miss his defense.

Archive
03-08-2008, 12:03 PM
Posted By: <b>Frank Wakefield</b><p>A great catch to read about is mentioned in Baseball When the Grass was Real, by Donald Honig. It is in a part of the book about Spud Chandler. Honig's well written book is at its best when describing the catch, and it isn't Willie's 1954 catch.<br /><br />I'd tell you guys about it, but it wouldn't do it justice. Get the book and at least read the bit about Spud Chandler.

Archive
03-08-2008, 12:32 PM
Posted By: <b>Jim Dale</b><p>Would like to have seen that and can't find reference to it on their web site...bummer. I remember the Joe Rudi catch against the wall from one of the early 70's world series - one my favorites.

Archive
03-08-2008, 01:29 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>1954 World Series.....Running full on at the outfield fence, making the catch, and turning and holding a runner to one base...<br /><br />The Catch refers to a memorable defensive baseball play by Willie Mays on September 29, 1954, during Game 1 of the 1954 World Series between the New York Giants and the Cleveland Indians at the Polo Grounds in New York. The score was tied 2-2 in the top of the eighth inning. Starting pitcher Sal Maglie walked Larry Doby and gave up a single to Al Rosen. So, with runners on first and second, Giants manager Leo Durocher summoned left-handed relief pitcher Don Liddle to replace Maglie and pitch to Cleveland's Vic Wertz, also a left-hander.<br /><br />Wertz worked the count to two balls and a strike, before crushing Liddle's fourth pitch to deep center field. Some reports say the ball traveled 450 feet, which is an exaggeration, but in many stadiums the shot would have been a home run and given the Indians a 5-2 lead. However, this was the spacious Polo Grounds, and Giants center fielder Willie Mays, who was playing in shallow center field, made an on-the-run over-the-shoulder catch (looking like a wide receiver) to make the out. Having caught the ball, he immediately spun and threw the ball, losing his hat in characteristic style. Doby, the runner on second, might have been able to score the go-ahead run had he tagged at the moment the ball was caught; but as it was, he ran when the ball was hit, and then had to scramble back to retag and only got as far as third base. Liddle was then relieved by Marv Grissom, to whom he supposedly remarked "Well, I got my man!"<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dK6zPbkFnE" target="_new">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dK6zPbkFnE</a>

Archive
03-08-2008, 01:36 PM
Posted By: <b>howard</b><p>You Yankee fans should remember a catch that occurred in a great but forgotten pennant race.<br /><br />In 1985 the Jays came into New York for a season ending three game series leading the Yankees by two games. In the top of the ninth of the first game Griffey, Sr. made an astonishing running and leaping catch to rob Toronto of a HR. In the bottom of the inning Butch Wynegar hit a walk off homer. Unfortunately the Yanks lost the next day. If they had won Phil Niekro would have gone for his 300th win in the division deciding game. As it turned out Niekro became the only man to win his 300th game with a complete game shutout. <br /><br />At the time in New York you could hardly turn on your TV without seeing a replay of Griffey's catch. He leaped so high that his backside looked like it was resting on top of the wall. Had New York won the pennant The catch would likely be part of Yankee lore.<br /><br />

Archive
03-08-2008, 01:55 PM
Posted By: <b>Aaron Patton</b><p>...I'll echo Frank's sentiments; Donald Honig is just about as good as it gets.<br /><br />I am biased...I'd take Omar Vizquel & Grady Sizemore over just about anybody.<br /><br />mmmm...can't wait to get the season started!<br /><br />Go Tribe.<br /><br />Best,<br /><br />[edited for spelling]

Archive
03-08-2008, 02:25 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Bretta</b><p>In a minor league game Dick Stuart stood out in Rightfield with his glove under his arm eating a bag of peanuts. He was the anti-Mays.

Archive
03-08-2008, 02:35 PM
Posted By: <b>Anthony S.</b><p>Pretty sure everyone remembers Rodney McCray's catch, if not his name (I didn't). And unlike Bump Bailey, he lived...<br /><br /><br /><a href="http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/video/index.ssf?SP_11BLOO113" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/video/index.ssf?SP_11BLOO113</a>

Archive
03-08-2008, 02:39 PM
Posted By: <b>steve</b><p>Anthony - could take the cake, thanks for the link<br /><br />steve<br /><br />looking at it, he didn't catch the ball - still incredible

Archive
03-08-2008, 03:01 PM
Posted By: <b>Ted Zanidakis</b><p>To decide which catch in Baseball is considered to be really great, one has to take into account<br /> the situation when it occurred. I'm old enough to have seen the 1954 World Series (WS) catch by<br /> Willie Mays. It was great; but, what was even greater about that moment was Willie's tremendous<br /> throw to the cut-off man to quell a Cleveland rally.<br /><br />In my opinion Mickey Mantle's catch in the 5th game of the 1956 WS, Don Larsen's perfect game,<br /> was even greater than Willie's catch.<br />I saw Larsen's game in it's entirety (I played hooky from school that day). When Gil Hodges hit a <br />tremendous drive to left-center field heading for the old monuments (450 feet from homeplate),<br /> I was sure that the no-hitter was broken. Mantle ran a "country-mile" and caught it by those mon-<br />uments (just in front of the 461 foot marker on the outfield wall). Absolutely, the greatest catch.<br /><br />I haven't seen many other great catches in BB to match these two. And, I'm sure there are many<br /> more that were executed just as well as Mickey's and Willie's.....but, when you see great catches<br /> like these made in these very critical situations, you never, ever forget them.<br /><br />TED Z

Archive
03-08-2008, 03:58 PM
Posted By: <b>ItsOnlyGil</b><p>Its not just the catch, but the throw.<br />And even if Mickey made a good throw, he still didn't lose his cap.

Archive
03-08-2008, 05:04 PM
Posted By: <b>Ted Zanidakis</b><p>I posted Willie's and Mickey's catches, not only because they were great....but, I knew it would prompt you to post.<br /><br />My friend, refresh my memory.....when Willie spun around and made his tremendous throw into the infield.....he pre-<br />vented a Cleveland rally. However, I am vague as to the details. Please elaborate ?<br /><br />TED Z

Archive
03-08-2008, 06:12 PM
Posted By: <b>Frank Wakefield</b><p>Lary Doby was at second, Al Rosen at first, tie game 2-2 in the top of the 8th.<br /><br />Vic Wertz hit the ball to center. Not to the deepest part at the offset where it was 483 feet, but just to the right of the offset, 420 is more realistic. Mays turns, runs without looking, makes the over the head catch, spins and throws the ball back in... Doby tagged and went to third, Rosen held at first. The Indians' golden opportunity for runs was quelled.<br /><br />But one more little highlight. Durocher came in to relieve Don Liddle after Wertz' long fly. Sal Maglie had started the game and began the 8th, but after Doby and Rosen reached base Liddle had relieved. Durocher waved in Marv Grissom. Liddle had retired only 1 batter, Wertz. The story goes that as Grissom got to the mound Liddle handed him the ball, and said, "I got my man, you get yours." <br /><br /><br /><br />And in person I've seen Ozzie catches, Edmonds and Jones catches; watched Willie McGee's catches in the 1982 World Series, watched Willie's 1954 catch again and again... trust me, you have to read Donald Honig's section about Spud Chandler, when he describes the best catch he ever saw.

Archive
03-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Posted By: <b>T206Collector</b><p>I was at the game when Derek Jeter ran into the outfield to catch a ball and then dove head first into the stands -- July 1, 2004. Also happened to be the best regular season game I've ever been to. <br /><br />As described on one website:<br /><br />In the top of the 12th inning, with the score tied 3-3, Boston had runners on second and third with 2 outs. Trot Nixon then hit a pop fly down the left field line, and it looked like the ball would drop in for a two-run single. But Jeter sprinted from his shortstop position and made an incredible over-the-shoulder catch on a full run. Because he could not stop his forward momentum, he dived head first into the seats to avoid a collision with the wall. For a moment, it seemed that Jeter was severely injured, as he lay amongst the Yankee faithful three rows deep in the stands. But the fans picked him up and Jeter climbed back onto baseball's biggest stage, horsehide in hand. The inning was over. It didn't seem to matter to Derek Jeter that he was bleeding and spitting out teeth as he emerged from the stands. He stayed in the game and the Yankees prevailed in a 13 inning classic. <br /><br />The Dive was awarded the Play of the Year in the 2001 Baseball awards competition.<br /><br /><br><br>_ <u> </u> _ <u> </u> _ <u> </u> _ <u> </u> _ <u> </u> _ <u> </u> _ _ <br /><br />Visit <a href="http://www.t206collector.com" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.t206collector.com</a> for my blog, interviews, articles, card galleries and more!<br /><br />

Archive
03-08-2008, 06:35 PM
Posted By: <b>Al C.risafulli</b><p>I agree that there's nothing like a great defensive play. I grew up a Nettles fan.<br /><br />I've heard about, read about, and seen many great plays. I watched Nettles in the '78 series, I've seen or read accounts of Willie Mays, Sandy Amoros, Brooks Robinson, Billy Cox, etc.<br /><br />But I can't imagine I'll see anything like Ozzie Smith's dive over the middle, when the ball kicked up off a pebble and changed direction - in mid-dive, Ozzie reached up and snared the ball with his bare hand. <br /><br />Unfortunately it seems like MLB has removed the clip from YouTube, but if anyone could find it online anywhere it would be a pleasure to watch again.<br /><br />-Al

Archive
03-08-2008, 06:53 PM
Posted By: <b>Frank Wakefield</b><p>Al you mention a fine play. 4-20-78 (I looked that up), Jeff Burroughs (I knew that) hit the ball up the middle.... <br /><br />I don't know of a link to the video, but then I'm not a whiz at that stuff.

Archive
03-08-2008, 06:54 PM
Posted By: <b>Ted Zanidakis</b><p>Thanks for the details on the Willie Mays great catch and throw in the 1954 World Series.<br /><br />TED Z

Archive
03-08-2008, 06:58 PM
Posted By: <b>Al C.risafulli</b><p>Here's a heck of a nice one.<br /><br /><object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/l-KZyO3t_uI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/l-KZyO3t_uI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Archive
03-08-2008, 07:58 PM
Posted By: <b>Rawn Hill</b><p>Dwight Evans off of a hit by Joe Morgan 1975 World Series, still the best in my eyes.