PDA

View Full Version : Hobby veteran Tony Carrafiell passes away

Archive
02-13-2008, 12:07 PM
Posted By: <b>Ted Zanidakis</b><p>It is very sad to report that one of the great guys in this hobby has left us. Philly Show regulars since the early 1970's<br /> will recall how Tony and his lovely wife Rose have made us appreciate the finer aspects of this hobby. Tony was always<br /> very willing to share his extensive expertise on Vintage pre-war and post-war sportscards of all kinds. If you were look-<br />ing for a rare card (or some variation of it) and Tony didn't have it at his table, he would tell you to come back tomorrow. <br />Sure enough, the next day he had the card for you. He was an amazing guy with a tremendous BB card inventory..<br /><br />Tony was a veteran of the Philly Show from its beginning in 1975. Tony also promoted his Valley Forge Show (with Larry<br /> Shane) from the late '70s thru the 1980's.<br /><br />Our prayers are with him and his family....may God Bless his soul.

Archive
02-13-2008, 12:27 PM
Posted By: <b>Rich Klein</b><p>I will miss him<br /><br />Regards<br />Rich

Archive
02-13-2008, 03:23 PM
Posted By: <b>Larry G.</b><p>Tony was one of the hobby's nicest dealers and with Rose always there, made you feel at home. My sincerest condolences to Rose, and their two children , he will be missed by those lucky enough to know him.

Archive
02-13-2008, 03:55 PM
Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p>Whenever I attended the Willow Grove/Fort Washington shows Tony was usually one of the first dealers I would visit. His knowledge of cards was tremendous.<br />I'll miss him.<br><br>Drew

Archive
02-13-2008, 04:25 PM
Posted By: <b>ethicsprof</b><p>very sad news.<br />my deepest condolences to family and friends.<br /><br />Barry

Archive
02-13-2008, 06:27 PM
Posted By: <b>Alan</b><p>I remember talking to him frequently at the Ft. Washington shows about the 76ers. He was a nice man. My deepest condolences too.

Archive
02-13-2008, 06:31 PM
Posted By: <b>Tim Newcomb</b><p>I don't often respond to obit posts, but in this case I have to. Tony and Rose's table was always a wonderful destination for me at the Ft/ Wash/Reading show. Mike Peich and I would spend a lot of time each day just chatting with them. It will be very sad to pass their table at the next show and not see him, or them. <br /><br />Like Ted Z., Tony was an old-school collector/dealer-- he would give great deals to folks like me who he knew were hardcore collectors, if he knew we needed it for a set or a collection. I bought a bunch of my E97s from him in 2005, including Keeler and Young. It will be a nice way to remember him when I look at them. <br /><br />Tim

Archive
02-13-2008, 06:37 PM
Posted By: <b>Jim Rivera</b><p>I am sad to hear this. I have had many deals at the Philly show with Tony and his wife. He was easy to deal with. Great selection of vintage cards and many T206 HOFers with tough backs.<br />Best wishes to his wife and family.

Archive
02-13-2008, 07:18 PM
Posted By: <b>Mike Peich</b><p>I am hesitant to respond in a public way to the passing of a man I called a friend, but Tony was a very special man, and a very public man. As Tim Newcomb said earlier, Tony appreciated collectors who were as passionate about their hobby as he was. There were many times when I was looking for a card, whether as part of a set, or as a type, that Tony would tell me to buy the card at the price he was asking. "Trust me," he would say, "you won't regret it." And I never did. He was an extremely generous man who genuinely enjoyed helping others collect.<br /><br />At every Ft. Washington/Reading show, I always went straight to Tony and Rose's table because I knew that they would be happy to see me (as they were happy to see many other people), and that they would be happy to talk about our hobby, and life in general. One of Tony's endearing qualities was his genuine love of collecting baseball cards. When I was putting together a T-3 set, he would talk to me about his love of Turkey Reds, and how they were one of his most treasured collections. I could go on and on about Tony, as many others could, but suffice to say that he and Rose are two of the finest people I have known in the hobby, and I am very sad that Tony will no longer be with us.<br /><br />Part of what we do in this hobby is preserve a particular piece of history by collecting the cards that interest us. Along the way we learn the history of baseball, and we pass our passion on to others who have similar interests. Tony was a student of baseball, he had an encyclopedic knowledge of baseball cards, and he loved sharing his passion and knowledge with others. All of us who knew him will not forget him, and like the hobby/game we enjoy so much, we will keep Tony alive for those who come after us.<br /><br />In pace requiscat.<br /><br />Mike

Archive
02-13-2008, 07:33 PM
Posted By: <b>Shoebox Cards</b><p>Tony and his wife were and will always be hobby legends. They were the kindest and most caring people you will ever meet and were always together at shows. Our prayers are with him and his family.<br /><br />Wayne and Bill<br />SHOEBOX CARDS

Archive
02-13-2008, 09:38 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan P.</b><p>I first met Tony in 1979. We had been friends ever since. He will be missed.

Archive
02-13-2008, 10:59 PM
Posted By: <b>Fred C</b><p>Wow, this is sad. I met him at a National a few years back, we talked for a long time about collecting. He seemed like a very passionate "old school" collector/dealer. I ended up buying a McCarthy OJ from him. He left a lasting impression.

Archive
02-14-2008, 08:59 AM
Posted By: <b>Peck</b><p>Very sad to hear. Tony was such a super person and so much fun to be around. I felt very privileged to have tables next to him at Willow Grove in the 1980's. Seeing Tony always seemed more important to me than the show. Thank you for the post. Our prayers go out to family and friends. <br /><br />Peck

Archive
02-15-2008, 09:36 AM
Posted By: <b>shane Leonard</b><p>Tony and Rose were a great team. As many people have said, they were so kind to all. They really had a love for each other and a love for the hobby. Not very many people were created like these two. I would like to send Rose something but all I have is her phone number and P.O. Box. If anyone has a physical address where I can send flowers, would you mind sending me a private email (shaneleo@aol.com)?<br /><br />Regards,<br />Shane

Archive
02-15-2008, 10:46 AM
Posted By: <b>Lance</b><p>Tony and Rose were 2 of the first people I met in the hobby. As stated above, he was an absolute attribute to the hobby and and a wonderful person to talk with. I spoke with him 10 or so days ago and had planned a trip to see him in the spring. I personally will miss his vast knowledge and will hold onto the little time I had spent with him close to my heart. My prayers will be with Rose and the rest of the Carafiell family.<br /><br />Lance

Archive
02-16-2008, 07:48 AM
Posted By: <b>Ted Zanidakis</b><p>If anyone would like to express their condolences directly to the Carrafiell family, you can email me for his mailing address.<br /><br />TED Z

Archive
02-16-2008, 07:48 AM
Posted By: <b>Ted Zanidakis</b><p>There are many great experiences and conversations with Tony many of us could share with everyone.<br /> I'd like to share these four.<br /><br />Tony's Valley Forge Show in Nov 1983 featured Reggie Jackson. Hundreds of Reggie fans lined up for his <br />autograph. Two guys in line started fighting over their spot. Reggie jumped off the stage and broke up<br /> the fight. A tremendous round of applause followed for Reggie. Tony was astonished.<br /><br />Tony always featured some of the best ballplayers at his Show. One I will never forget is Ernie Banks.<br /> Ernie is one of the most gracious players you could meet. When he entered the Show, he went around<br /> to every dealer table, shook our hands and talked with us. After, his signing session, he came around<br /> again looking for items for his collection and being the most friendly guy you could meet.<br /><br />At one of Tony's shows in 1985 a big guy came to my table looking for 1949-1951 Bowman Phillies cards.<br /> I had quite a few of these cards for him and gave him a nice deal. He shook my hand and thanked me. I<br /> have never felt such a huge, firm, bone-crushing handshake. Later that day, Tony came over to me and<br /> informed me that this big fellow was Chris Short. The next day Chris Short came back to my table with<br />another wantlist. I was thrilled, and I told him to sit down behind my table and I gave him two boxes of<br /> Phillies cards to sort thru. We spent hours talking BaseBall (I did not bring up the 1964 season).<br /><br />And, I will always remember when Tony had Ted Williams at his show. I was thinking of writing an article<br /> on Ted's cards and I asked Tony if I could get an interview with Ted after the signing session. Tony ar-<br />ranged this with Ted; and, I started the conversation with Ted by showing him his 1954 Bowman card.<br />He alluded to his contract with Topps in 1954. Then Ted, with a big smile, started recalling the "bidding<br /> war" between Topps and Fleer in early 1959 over the "Rights" to portray him in their BB card sets. I can<br />not fully describe to you the enthusiasm in Ted's voice relating this story to me. Ted could not believe<br /> that Fleer outbid Topps and payed him $5000 to produce an 80-card set of him. What I thought would<br />be a short interview, lasted 45 minutes.....just "Talking Base Ball cards", with the great Ted.<br /><br />Tony made events like these happen. I will always have fond memories of Tony....GOD BLESS you Tony<br /> and your Family.<br /><br />TED Z

Archive
02-16-2008, 01:51 PM
Posted By: <b>Bob Lemke</b><p>You know, as much as Tony knew about cards, he also had the extensive (back to the 1970s) knowledge about the hobby, the hobbyists and the ballplayers with whom he'd dealt. I always looked forward to the wee hours of the morning in the hospitality rooms (remember those?) at the major shows when Tony would "talk shop."

Archive
02-16-2008, 02:29 PM
Posted By: <b>dan mckee</b><p>Well stated Bob Lemeke! I fully agree. Tony was a great friend and a true old timer in the hobby. He will be greatly missed. Dan and Dan Mckee's

Archive
02-17-2008, 06:30 AM
Posted By: <b>Mike Peich</b><p>Sadly, I paid last respects to Tony, and shared some time with Rose and her family, yesterday at the viewing. There was a large crowd present to honor Tony and his memory, not surprising for a man of his stature and good will.<br />I did ask Rose if she wanted folks to contact her, and she said by all means. Their telephone number is: 610.356.2958. If you wish to write, their mailing address is: P.O. Box 273 / Broomall, PA 19008. I know Rose would enjoy hearing from many of the people who have known them over the years.<br />Regards, Mike

Archive
02-18-2008, 06:09 PM
Posted By: <b>jay wolt</b><p>Horrible news!<br />Tony will be missed

Archive
02-19-2008, 06:36 PM
Posted By: <b>Adam</b><p>On Behalf the family we would like to extend our deepest appreciation to everyone for their prayers, thoughts, and kind words in your postings. This has meant a lot us and we are all grateful for your support and friendship!<br /><br />Adam<br /> (Son-in-Law)

Archive
02-20-2008, 01:09 PM
Posted By: <b>Kevin Savage</b><p>Tony was a great hobbyist- who was always quick with a smile and a hello when I'd see him at a show. He will be missed. My sincere sympthies to Rose and the family.<br /><br />Tony's passing is a wake up call for all of us to enjoy and cherish our current relationships with our hobby friends. We are all here on short term contracts with no guarantees......<br />