PDA

View Full Version : M101-x backs

Archive
02-02-2008, 10:42 AM
Posted By: <b>Fred C</b><p>Does anyone have a listing of M101-x backs (in order of scarcity)?<br /><br />

Archive
02-02-2008, 11:07 AM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>Here's a start but it's very debatable....<br /><br />most common to least common backs...<br /><br />1.blank<br />2.sporting news<br />3.famous-barr<br />4.standard biscuit<br />5.the globe<br />6.the tribune<br />7.wares<br />8.weil<br />9.herpolsheimer<br />10.indianapolis brewing<br />11.gimbels- italic print<br />12.burgess nash<br />13.block and kuhl<br />14.gimbels- large block print<br />15.green joyce<br />16.successful farming<br />17.morehouse baking<br />18.mall theater<br />19.holmes to homes<br />20.everybodys<br />21.gimbels- small block print<br /><br />*22.noon-day cafeteria (only seen a xerox copy

Archive
02-02-2008, 11:22 AM
Posted By: <b>Jerry Rucker</b><p>I wonder if there is any complete sets of Cards with backs other than Blank & Sporting news backs. Does anybody have or know of a complete set of Famous & Barr Backs.

Archive
02-02-2008, 12:16 PM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>Leon- that list needs to be added to the archive section.

Archive
02-02-2008, 12:47 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>We could debate this list till the cows come home (we have several cows next door and one night one got out and wandered over and I had to call the sheriff for help but that's another story) and we would never come to an exact agreement on scarcity.....Let's see how the thread goes and we can talk about it. I want to be careful about archiving information that is so subjective.....regards

Archive
02-02-2008, 04:57 PM
Posted By: <b>Jay</b><p>Leon--I pretty much agree with your list except I might slide Burgess Nash down to 16 or 17. Until that one find I never saw that back.

Archive
02-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Posted By: <b>dan mckee</b><p>A Baltimore Lawyer friend of mine has this set complete as a full sheet and framed. I am not sure if he knows what the backs are. Great piece though! Dan.

Archive
02-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>I don't think the list needs to be that precise. Everybody could have a slightly different opinion, but you are correctly grouping the common, the not so common, the scarce, and the rare. I think that is all anybody needs to know. Who cares whether 10 or 11 should be reversed?

Archive
02-03-2008, 08:28 AM
Posted By: <b>Tim Newcomb</b><p>Here's more or less what Todd and I have come up with. Fuller details in a future 2008 issue of Old Cardboard. Blank spaces between groups indicate a significant jump in the degree of scarcity.<br /><br />blank<br /><br />sporting news<br />famous-barr (M101-5 only)<br /><br />standard biscuit<br />the globe<br />weil<br /><br />indianapolis brewing<br />gimbels- italic print<br /><br />famous-barr (M101-4)<br />the tribune<br />gimbels- large block print<br />wares<br />morehouse baking<br />herpolsheimer<br />burgess nash<br />block and kuhl<br /><br />successful farming<br />everybodys<br />mall theater<br />gimbels- small block print<br />holmes to homes<br />green joyce<br /><br />These last five (six if you care about the Gimbels printing variants) are definitely tougher than the rest. We had Everybody's as THE toughest back until the group of about 25 recently auctioned by Heritage, I think it was. With that little group it jumped past Mall Theater, Holmes to Homes, and Green-Joyce. This tells you how small the samples are on the tough backs.

Archive
02-03-2008, 08:35 AM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>Very nicely done.....I think I am in agreement. The list I cut and pasted above was from a few years ago. Let me ask you a question. With the grouping of 25 Everybodys that were just auctioned off, and the 3-4 we had seen before that, don't you think that Block and Kuhl could be more scarce now? I don't think I have seen 30 Block and Kuhls in total....I am looking forward to the article...best regards

Archive
02-03-2008, 01:07 PM
Posted By: <b>Tim Newcomb</b><p>Leon, you may be right. I do think Block and Kuhl is the scarcest one in that group-- maybe it does belong in the toughest batch of backs. I doubt there are many more than 30 of the B&Ks circulating in the hobby.

Archive
02-03-2008, 01:54 PM
Posted By: <b>Richard</b><p>I would move Weil to the 3rd group, Gimbels Italic to the 2nd and Herpo to the 2nd as well.<br /><br />

Archive
02-03-2008, 03:15 PM
Posted By: <b>Paul</b><p>Tim, have you been able to determine how the checklists vary from back to back? Are there just a few outliers, like Bobby Wallace and Beals Becker, who appear on only one or two backs? Or are there lots of these characters?

Archive
02-03-2008, 03:42 PM
Posted By: <b>Tim Newcomb</b><p>I don't want to anticipate too much of the info that will be in the article, but the brief answer is no, there aren't many checklist variations. You have named two of the main ones; the others are less dramatic--<br /><br />Tim

Archive
02-05-2008, 01:47 PM
Posted By: <b>Todd Schultz</b><p>there will be some tweaking to the list, especially as it appears yet another 40 or so Everybody's have surfaced. With many of these scarcer backs, the pops are so small that it doesn't take much to change rankings. One major auction and wham, the leader board changes. <br /><br />Dan, please ask your friend with an entire framed set whether there is advertising along the front top and bottom, as is found with Bucyrus or Furniture City Brewing. While complete sheets were available from the publisher, I have not seen but three, and all had this advertising. The backs should be blank, unless someone walked off with an advertiser's sheet before it was cut.