PDA

View Full Version : Jim Beck, AJ's cardshop owner, died this morning

Archive
01-13-2008, 05:26 PM
Posted By: <b>Pete Z.</b><p>Jim was a old-time dealer here in Northern Virginia in all types of cards--sports, non-sports, vintage and modern for over 30 years. He touched many lives, some on this board I know. I spend so much time there jawing with him and others about cards that I have the shop's phone number on my fridge for my wife to contact in case of an emergency. He will be missed.

Archive
01-13-2008, 05:29 PM
Posted By: <b>Brian</b><p>RIP

Archive
01-13-2008, 05:37 PM
Posted By: <b>Harry Wallace (HW)</b><p>Horrible, horrible news. He will be greatly missed. My thoughts and prayers are with his friends and family.

Archive
01-13-2008, 05:39 PM
Posted By: <b>Eric B</b><p>I remember about 20 years ago mentioning to Jim that I bought a 1952 Bowman Mantle from another place. He asked to see it and immediately showed me why it was a fake. I didn't know they had fakes before them (yes, I was naive). He told me that if i wanted vintage cards I should buy from him and be guaranteed that they would be real. And they were.<br /><br />He always had vintage items. He also was a big proponent of the rule to buy N172's for the picture, not the sharp corners.

Archive
01-13-2008, 05:40 PM
Posted By: <b>Andy Cook</b><p>I've been going to his store for more than a dozen years. A great guy, I'll miss him.<br /><br />Andy

Archive
01-13-2008, 05:52 PM
Posted By: <b>Mark Evans</b><p>My sympathies as well. A nice guy with a friendly shop. Mark

Archive
01-13-2008, 06:56 PM
Posted By: <b>Alan</b><p>I'm also sorry to hear that. I enjoyed going to his shop in Vienna. The cards/memorabilia were well organized, even though the shop was somewhat cluttered. He will be missed.<br /><br />Alan

Archive
01-13-2008, 08:16 PM
Posted By: <b>Brian Collie</b><p>I can't begin to describe how upsetting it is to hear this news. I grew up in Vienna and my love for this hobby began at AJs. I practically lived there during the summer and made multiple trips a month during the school year. I recognized at an early age how lucky I was to have a true vintage shop in town and not just a place that sold the latest packs of Donruss. All of my collection's highlights came from Mr. Beck - my orange PSA 5 Cobb, my PSA 7 Mathewson, my PSA 6 T3 Crawford, and many more. He used to always let me take cards home with just a dollar down and each week I would trek in with my latest checks from mowing the lawns and sign them over to him.<br /><br />Mr. Beck was an extremely friendly and caring man who operated with the highest degree of integrity. He loved all things baseball and truly touched many lives. He will be missed.

Archive
01-13-2008, 10:42 PM
Posted By: <b>Lyman</b><p>So sorry to hear this news. More than any other collector or dealer, Jim was the person who introduced Brett and me to the vintage baseball card hobby. He was Brett's first employer (Brett worked at AJs card shop for several years while in high school). Jim was also the source for my very first vintage baseball cards (a 1950 Bowman Warren Spahn and an N28 Allen & Ginter Joseph Mulvey). I still have both cards.<br /><br />We did a full-column write-up about Jim in Issue #8 (Summer 2006) in the Collector's Dugout section of <i>Old Cardboard</i> magazine. The article goes into some detail about Jim's career in youth and men's league baseball and his Vienna, VA card shop.<br /><br />May Jim Rest in Peace,<br />Lyman

Archive
01-13-2008, 11:41 PM
Posted By: <b>barry arnold</b><p>Very sad news.<br />My deepest condolences to friends and family<br /><br />Barry

Archive
01-14-2008, 04:04 PM
Posted By: <b>Brian Collie</b><p>Do any of you know where we can send our condolences? Also, any ideas as to what is going to happen to AJs? I know Mr. Beck has been sick for sometime and I hope he had a succession plan worked out. AJs is one of the last true vintage brick n mortar shops and I would hate to see it close.

Archive
01-15-2008, 11:44 AM
Posted By: <b>dan mckee</b><p>I am very sorry to hear this and will pass it on to pop.

Archive
01-15-2008, 12:42 PM
Posted By: <b>Brian Collie</b><p>BECK JAMES M. BECK "Jim" (Age 62) Of Fairfax, VA, on Saturday, January 12, 2008, at Fairfax Hospital. Beloved husband of Lynda Beck; father of Karen Beck, Kristin Beck, James Beck, Ted, Monica Beck and Walter Beck; brother of David Beck, Robert Beck, Nancy Crews and the late Ellen Beck. He is also survived by eight granchildren, his close friend, Daisy, many nieces and nephews. Mr. Beck was the owner of A.J. Sports Stop in Vienna, VA, a member of the Vienna Rotary and was a baseball coach for Falls Church High School. Family and friends are invited to Jim's Life Celebration at MONEY AND KING FUNERAL HOME, 171 W. Maple Ave., Vienna, VA, on Tuesday, January 15 from 6 to 8 p.m. Funeral services will be held at Vienna Baptist Church, 541 Marshall Rd., SW Vienna, VA, on Wednesday, January 16 at 11 a.m. Interment National Memorial Park. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Falls Church High School Baseball Program or the Men's Senior Baseball League, 255 W. Maple Ave., Vienna, VA, 22180. Please view and sign the family guest book at: www.moneyandking.com

Archive
01-15-2008, 12:49 PM
Posted By: <b>Jason L</b><p>That is way too early.<br />From what everyone has written, I am sorry I never had a chance to meet him or visit his store.<br /><br />very sad.<br />my condolences.<br />

Archive
01-15-2008, 01:26 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>Jim Beck sounds like he was a true gentleman. His loved ones and the hobby will miss him. RIP Jim.<br /><br /><br />I went to a funeral of a friend this last Friday. He was 63. ......When it's all said and done no one will speak highly of what you amassed only of what you did. Life is short so please be nice...warm regards

Archive
01-15-2008, 01:36 PM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>I too did not know Jim, but I looked at the picture of him in the OC and he seemed like a gentle soul.