PDA

View Full Version : 100 yr. anniversary approaching for some historic sets!!

Archive
01-03-2008, 02:15 PM
Posted By: <b>marty quinn</b><p><br />hello gent's,<br /> i would like to hear some input on the 100 yr. ann. for sets most of you collect on this forum.<br /><br /> will there be a price impact as these dates approach?? (lets use the t-206 as an eg.) if so in what way?<br /> this set along with ...e-95,...e90-1....e92...e93....e98...m116s.l., and so on and so on, will the "investor"<br /> destroy the opportunity for the collector? meaning will they drive up price aready on the rise for some years now.<br /> <br /> i have been doing cardboard for about 25 years now, i have been out of baseball for about 5 years focusing mostly<br /> on vintage nonsports. i have noticed about 25% increase on avg for most of what i had (sold)and now trying to buy back<br /> i have been back for about 4 months, i have kept watch all of this time just not active, my 1950's -early 70's set run is nm<br /> (at least) but raw, and will reamin raw, but i do collect my pre-war graded, if i have to compete with big swings in the next <br /> 1-3 years i might as well wait (or not attempt at all). what do most of you think?? or will nothing at all happen.<br /><br /> it might be a little early to start talking about it, but imho it might be a good time to start watching.<br /><br /> also...here is a "nerve" pincher! will this also be a time for more (i can't believe i'm going to say it)<br /> altered cards to hit the hobby? i know scammers don't take a day off, but they might get in overtime. <br /> <br /> i appreciate all who responds.....as usaul i am sure some great input will come from this post.

Archive
01-03-2008, 03:50 PM
Posted By: <b>sean</b><p>I noticed that the price of 19th century in the 1980's is what tobacco is (approx) now and that tobacco baseball cards prices in the late 80's are about what 30's prices are now (goudey, batter up, etc)<br />anyone agree with this observation?

Archive
01-06-2008, 04:07 PM
Posted By: <b>Gilbert Maines</b><p>Headed by the highly visible t206 Wagner, and already a known entity among collectors and investors, the one hundreth anniversary of the t206 set is likely to draw additional attention to this collectible.<br /><br />However, the impact of this anniversary will be felt far less than normally would be expected due to stiff competition. Specifically, 2009 is also the 100th anniversary of the Lincoln Cent. This item is a true household name recognition collectible, which imo will steal much of the thunder from the baseball card offering. Particularly considering that no other US coin has had a hundred year production run, complimented by the fact of active discussions are underway regarding discontinuance of the cent.

Archive
01-07-2008, 08:03 AM
Posted By: <b>Jay</b><p>Hi Marty! Personally, I don't believe that the 100 year anniversary will have any noticeable impact on prices. More likely, the state of the economy this year will be the biggest driver of collectible prices. I believe that the fact that Sotheby's stock has gotten hit so hard recently bodes poorly for collectibles this year. With that in mind, I would buy cards from scarce sets on price dips. That could be caramels or old timers like Old Judge or Gypsy Queens. Welcome back!

Archive
01-09-2008, 11:05 AM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>I don't feel the 100 yr mark will have any impact on the prices of our cardboard treasures. It's all about supply and demand, not age. It never fails though.....most folks do equate age with value. Avid collectors won't share this feeling....regards