PDA

View Full Version : SO I think my dream is over..but please confirm..

Archive
12-14-2007, 08:44 PM
Posted By: <b>bagger</b><p>I thought I had the only 1956 Bowman Mickey mantle..but it seems my dream has faded into the night...especially after seeing the front of the 1956 Baseball card magazine rendition...however..before the dream is completely obliterated ..does anyone know why the back is not stamped with a reprint message from baseball card magazine??

Archive
12-15-2007, 06:06 AM
Posted By: <b>Todd Schultz</b><p>you can't reprint what was never printed in the first place. Similarly, it's not a counterfeit because there is no genuine. It's a fantasy piece.<br /><br />EDITED TO ADD: I didn't mean to come across as flippant. I know there were a couple of players for whom Bowman made '56 prototypes, but they were commons--Koshorek and Shuba. I have never heard of a Mantle prototype--does yours resemble one of the styles contemplated by Bowman? I hope you didn't get burned too bad on the price. This is probably one of those "if it sounds too good to be true" scenarios.

Archive
12-15-2007, 02:41 PM
Posted By: <b>dennis</b><p> 1956 bowman: here is an interesting item from the REA archive w/pictures of the cards that never were.<br /><a href="http://robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2005/373.html" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2005/373.html</a>

Archive
12-15-2007, 04:31 PM
Posted By: <b>Bob</b><p>Thanks for posting that Dennis, it was really interesting. This is one of the reasons this board is so great, the uncovering of unique items and dissemination of card information not available other places.

Archive
12-20-2007, 09:12 AM
Posted By: <b>John</b><p>Thanks for the responses..I didn't get burned as a whole...I was just dreaming it was a 56 bowman from '56..that would of been really cool to discover...I did a lot of reading on the 56 prototypes and I received the card from Beacon, NY just north of NYC and Philly, I was hoping the owner bought them at a garage sale....so the dream has faded, but another dream will come..