PDA

View Full Version : Tobacco Cards

Archive
12-18-2007, 08:20 PM
Posted By: <b>Mike</b><p>I thought some of you would enjoy this. I was talking with some kids the other day at the school I work at about card collecting and mentioned I had some tobacco cards. I took in a few to show them and they were disappointed. They thought "my tobacco cards" were made out of tobacco, since I told them "tobacco cards" !!! I won't take that for granted the next time I talk with kids about card collecting. Mike

Archive
12-18-2007, 08:32 PM
Posted By: <b>Doug</b><p>I don't know why, but I swear that's the funniest thing I've heard all day!

Archive
12-18-2007, 08:48 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>I have a feeling we all hear/read something that strikes our funny bone every now and then. There are certainly some quick witted folks on the board....Oft times I sit and laugh as I read stuff....Most of the times when I tell anyone I collect baseball cards they say "oh, I have some....maybe they are worth a lot?" .....They never are, relatively speaking....Most people that collected as a kid in the 70's-90's have a shoe box of old Topps cards and think they are worth a ton. I don't know how many times I have had to be the bearer of bad news. Also, their "mint" cards are usually vg-ex, technically speaking....regahds...

Archive
12-19-2007, 03:18 PM
Posted By: <b>Paul S</b><p>That's a good one! I run into this sort of thing quite a bit with elementary school-age kids. Their thinking is still so literal. Sometimes you don't find out until much later that they'd been running around with a funny conception in their minds -- their brains don't really begin to abstract until later. You probably could have shown them a MINT Cobb and they'd have been non-plussed, since it wasn't on a tobacco leaf, nor a mint leaf...they might have imagined it being on a Tic-Tac!