PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Larry Fritsch passes away

Archive
12-11-2007, 09:23 AM
Posted By: <b>Bob Ivanjack</b><p>I just read in SCD Trade Fax that Larry Fritsch passed away on Saturday. I do not know if anyone else posted a similar thread but thought that the community would be interested in the news.

Archive
12-11-2007, 09:29 AM
Posted By: <b>Scott S</b><p>I hadn't heard that at all. <br /><br />I wonder if that means we'll be seeing more of his extensive collection hitting the market in the near future. There are obviously many items in his collection which haven't hit the market in decades, so this will be most interesting to monitor....

Archive
12-11-2007, 09:30 AM
Posted By: <b>dstudeba</b><p>Wow, that is a shame. A giant in our hobby. Condolences to the family.

Archive
12-11-2007, 09:31 AM
Posted By: <b>Jay</b><p>Larry was a hobby great. My condolences go out to his family and friends.

Archive
12-11-2007, 09:34 AM
Posted By: <b>MVSNYC</b><p>i just googled it...from a wisconsin newspaper...<br /><br />Larry Fritsch, 71, of Stevens Point died Saturday, Dec. 8, 2007, at the Aspirus Wausau Hospital. <br /><br />Funeral arrangements are pending at Pisarski/Dzikoski Funeral Home in Stevens Point. A complete obituary will appear in Tuesday's Stevens Point Journal. <br /><br /><br />

Archive
12-11-2007, 09:38 AM
Posted By: <b>Mark Macrae</b><p>Bob,<br />Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Larry's contributions to the hobby are countless over the past several decades. He was always a pleasure to talk with and a fountain of knowledge. To the jackass above who is already talking about the cannibalizing of his collection before Larry is laid to rest, I'd suggest a quick (or detailed) study of what morals are all about... A sad loss for his wife, his children & grandchildren and for the many friends he made over the years, of which I was proud to consider myself one...

Archive
12-11-2007, 09:43 AM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>Larry was just an acquaintance but I have known him for a number of years. He was always a gentleman when we spoke.<br /><br />My condolences to his entire family.

Archive
12-11-2007, 09:51 AM
Posted By: <b>Fred C</b><p>It's a sad day for the hobby and an even more sad day for his family. Condolances to the hobby in general and to his family.

Archive
12-11-2007, 09:52 AM
Posted By: <b>TONY Galovich</b><p>This is a large loss for our hobby<br /><br />But what is sad is all the knowledge he took with him<br />Can you imagine if Larry wrote books about some of his areas of expertise?<br /><br />That would be priceless<br /><br />Rest In peace

Archive
12-11-2007, 09:54 AM
Posted By: <b>Bob Ivanjack</b><p>Mark:<br />I guess it is possible that the person who posted the comment that can be construed as offensive was, in the words of Bill Mastro, "pushing the widow down a flight of stairs to get to the collection." I'd like to think (during the Holiday Season) that the message reflected an awe and reverence of what Mr. Fritsch was able to accomplish and a natural curiosity in the true collector sense that there possibly are many cards/issues that we have only heard about. Call me a glass half-full type of guy.<br />Bob

Archive
12-11-2007, 09:54 AM
Posted By: <b>Todd Schultz</b><p>I can only echo what others have said, it's a sad day for the hobby. My condolences to his family and friends. Apart from his fabulous collection, what a wealth of information the man possessed.

Archive
12-11-2007, 09:55 AM
Posted By: <b>Brian C.</b><p>Larry was a good guy, a hobby icon, and someone with whom I always enjoyed talking. Let's remember him as someone who had a real passion for this hobby, both personally and professionally, and who made genuine and lasting contributions to it.

Archive
12-11-2007, 09:55 AM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>I only had the pleasure of speaking with Larry a few times but he was most generous to a newbie and took time to answer any questions I had. I know his importance to the hobby he loved will never be able to be replaced. He was truly a gentleman and one of the "old guard". Every time an old guard passes away we are left a bit more empty. My condolences to his entire family. leon<br />

Archive
12-11-2007, 09:58 AM
Posted By: <b>Ken McMillan</b><p>Wow!!! I met him once and he seemed like a nice man. Actually went to his shop if that's what you want to call it in the mid 90's. Interesting place.<br /><br />Ken

Archive
12-11-2007, 09:58 AM
Posted By: <b>Scott S</b><p>Wow, give me a chance please.<br /><br />I meant nothing other than to pose a thought regarding what would happen to his collection. Sorry I didn't start my post with "my condolences" which was implied.<br /><br />But no need to jump down my throat for posing a thought. <br /><br />Now let's drop it and keep the thread on point to honor the person, as it should have been from the start.

Archive
12-11-2007, 10:08 AM
Posted By: <b>J Levine</b><p>Larry will be missed by many, myself included. I first ordered from Larry in the late '80s as a teenager. In the mid-'90s he was a great source of knowledge and help with the Phillies monster list I was researching (esp. with oddball and regional issues). I only met him once in person but he was very nice and a wonderful source of knowledge. His son has been a pleasure to deal with as well. My thoughts go out to his entire extended family and our community. <br /><br />Joshua

Archive
12-11-2007, 10:21 AM
Posted By: <b>Dan Bretta</b><p>Rest in peace Larry.<br /><br />I always enjoyed scouring his catalogs that came in the mail.

Archive
12-11-2007, 10:21 AM
Posted By: <b>Brian McQueen</b><p><br />I have purchased many, many cards from Larry the past few years and every time I did so, he and his associates were a pleasure to deal with. I still receive his catalog on a semi-regular basis. Everytime it arrives, I go tearing through it looking for cards that may be of interest. I will certainly miss having the opportunity to work with him in the future. I had the chance to speak with him a couple times on the phone as well. Just a terrific guy to speak with and learn from.<br /><br />As a sidenote, whenever I'd buy cards from him, he'd always write me a note personally thanking me for the cards and wishing me well. It was a very "old school" touch to our transactions that I always appreciated.<br /><br />My sincerest condolences go out to his friends and family.<br /><br />-Brian McQueen

Archive
12-11-2007, 10:31 AM
Posted By: <b>Wil Jordan</b><p><br />A sad say for all of us in the hobby when we lose a giant like Larry. I have had the privilage to talk with him over the years. His knowledge was 2nd to none. My condolences to his family.

Archive
12-11-2007, 10:35 AM
Posted By: <b>Paul S</b><p>My condolences to the family. He certainly had an influence on my collection when I was very young, as I bought some things from him. Still have one of his envelopes. Rest in Peace.

Archive
12-11-2007, 10:45 AM
Posted By: <b>Marc S.</b><p>A hobby legend passes...

Archive
12-11-2007, 10:49 AM
Posted By: <b>Ricky Y</b><p>Wow sorry to hear this too. My condolences to the Fritsch family. I first bought from Larry back in 1973 as a kid when I was trying to complete my 1973 Topps BB set and got the entire 4th and 5th series. I can still recall the thrill of opening that package...and I still have those cards in my collection too. They still have that crispness and the vendor box bend to em! <br /><br />Thanks to him for providing me with such wonderful memories during my childhood. <br /><br />Ricky Y <br /><br />

Archive
12-11-2007, 11:13 AM
Posted By: <b>barry arnold</b><p>A very sad day.<br />my deepest sympathy to family and friends,<br /><br />Barry Arnold

Archive
12-11-2007, 11:13 AM
Posted By: <b>Rich Klein</b><p> Larry was truly a legend in the hobby and will be missed by all concerned. <br /><br /> Regards<br /> Rich<br />

Archive
12-11-2007, 11:16 AM
Posted By: <b>Brian</b><p>RIP

Archive
12-11-2007, 11:34 AM
Posted By: <b>James Feagin</b><p>My condolences to a hobby icon.

Archive
12-11-2007, 11:43 AM
Posted By: <b>Bob</b><p>It is a very sad day indeed. I am glad I had the opportunity to have a long conversation with him many months ago in which we discussed Zeenut cards he was selling and then branched off in to cards, dealers, buyers, collectors and the hobby in general. <br />I echo the sentiments of a previous poster that we have lost someone who kept the hobby alive during earlier times when the hobby was still growing and had not reached the heights it is at today. As men like Larry, Lionel Carter, Lew Lipset, Gar Miller and others reach their "golden years" we need to pause and acknowledge their contributions. It's one thing to collect cards because they are great investments it is something else to collect, even if you know you might make a profit down the road, because you truly love cards and the hobby.<br />RIP Larry and condolences to the family.

Archive
12-11-2007, 12:42 PM
Posted By: <b>Steve</b><p>RIP Larry, you were a true gentleman.<br /><br /><br />Steve

Archive
12-11-2007, 01:00 PM
Posted By: <b>John S</b><p>I purchased my first vintage baseball cards from Larry years ago and have dealt with him and his family/associates ever since. A significant portion of my Colgan's collection came from Larry. Larry was a wealth of knowledge and a true pioneer of the hobby. He will be missed. My condolences to his family and friends.

Archive
12-11-2007, 01:20 PM
Posted By: <b>Jimmy</b><p>Larry was a very knowledgeable man and very recognized in our hobby<br /><br />he will be missed<br /><br />Jimmy<br />

Archive
12-11-2007, 01:24 PM
Posted By: <b>peter ullman</b><p>my condolences to the fritsch family...may larry be in a better place. I too will miss his catalogs and his contributions to the hobby.<br /><br />peter ullman

Archive
12-11-2007, 01:52 PM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>Larry was a very large man and sadly that takes a toll on one's health. It's a pity.

Archive
12-11-2007, 02:31 PM
Posted By: <b>Bob Lemke</b><p>Much of Larry's contribution to the hobby in the past 25+ years went largely unrecognized because it was in the form of voluminous and generous sharing of his hobby knowledge through his unselfish contributions to the Standard Catalog.<br /><br />Krause had no greater supporter in its early days in the baseball card magazine/catalog business than Larry.<br /><br />We had often talked about collaborating on a book, but between his business interests and mine it never got done. By the time we had the time, the hobby had passed us by and we realized that such a book would never find a viable audience in the contemporary hobby.

Archive
12-11-2007, 03:14 PM
Posted By: <b>Dave Hornish</b><p>I was sorry to hear of this. I never dealt with Larry but enjoyed his somewhat infrequent commentaries in SCD over the years. I also remember trying to visit his card museum in Cooperstown only to learn it had just closed down. RIP Larry.

Archive
12-11-2007, 03:27 PM
Posted By: <b>Frank Wakefield</b><p>I had not heard this, until just now...<br /><br />Condolences to his family, and friends.<br /><br /><br />About the 2nd or 3rd time I ordered a card from him, he was on the phone. He took my order, then asked why I was after the card. A long, expensive long distance call ensued. And I enjoyed it. We talked cards for 3/4s of an hour. About 10 minutes in I asked him if he was Mr. Fritsch, and he admitted as much. We talked about twice more about old cards. He really knew old cards. The hobby will miss him. I wish his family well.<br /><br />Frank W.

Archive
12-11-2007, 03:38 PM
Posted By: <b>Daryle</b><p>Sad news. His family will be remembered in my prayers. Only spoke with him a couple of times and he was always a top notch guy. Some of my first vintage cards were bought from him (my 1st T206s were bought from him---1985) and he was always very nice to a then a 12-13 year-old kid who didn't know much about vintage and asked a lot of questions. REST IN PEACE LARRY........

Archive
12-11-2007, 03:52 PM
Posted By: <b>Patrick McMenemy</b><p>First of all, I would like to offer my condolences to the Fritsch family. <br /><br />Larry was a true hobby pioneer! Many of my first cards were purchased from Larry. I also purchased quite a few 1911 Zeenuts and 1911 Obaks from him a few years back.<br /><br />He will truly be missed.<br /><br />Patrick

Archive
12-11-2007, 03:59 PM
Posted By: <b>Art M.</b><p>Larry Fritsch was a good friend and helped me with my T206 collection since the late 1970's. We talked often and just exchanged letters in October of this year. I will miss him greatly.<br />Keith Olbermann will mention Larry Fritsch on his MSNBC television program later tonite.<br />My condolences to the entire Fritsch family.<br />Art Martineau

Archive
12-11-2007, 04:20 PM
Posted By: <b>Kevin Savage</b><p>I was fortunate enough to have many dealings with Mr. Fritsch over the years.<br /><br />Our first transaction was rocky(early 8o's when I was a new punk in the hobby)- but over the years I found him to be very friendly and a wealth of vintage information. He was a pioneer who blazed a trail for all of us guys who started as dealers in the late 70's and early 80's and have been able to make this hobby our livelihood. I knew him as a man who had a vision many of us did not- and a guy who had a true love of collecting. <br /><br />It is always a sad day when another hobby pioneer passes on. It makes me think about how short this life is- and how the people in this hobby (both collectors and dealers) and our relationships with each other and how we treat each other- is ultimately so much more important than "the latest find". <br /><br />I will miss Larry Fritsch. <br /><br />Kevin Savage

Archive
12-11-2007, 05:37 PM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>Keith just did his spot on Larry. He said he bought cards from him when he was eleven years old. That's a very long time ago.

Archive
12-11-2007, 05:41 PM
Posted By: <b>Neal</b><p>God Bless Larry Fritsch may he rest in peace!<br /><br />I too have bought some cards from him over the years and he was great to deal with!<br /><br />My sincere condolences go out to his family and loved ones!<br /><br />God Bless!

Archive
12-11-2007, 06:00 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Koteles</b><p>I wish I could have met him. The best to his family sincerely.

Archive
12-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Posted By: <b>RC</b><p>Condolences to the Fritsch family. <br /><br />As I have read the many kind remarks on this board it makes me wonder how many of us have purchased cards from Larry. It seems that almost everyone on this board has done so at some time through the years.<br /><br />RC<br /><br />

Archive
12-11-2007, 07:16 PM
Posted By: <b>john/z28jd</b><p> Definitely sad news. I bought my first t206,t205,t204 and old judge card off him and long before ebay i used to go thru his catalog underlining every card i wanted. I met him briefly when he had a card store in Cooperstown. That t206 Bresnahan portrait in gd/vg condition I bought that day off him is a card I wouldnt trade for anything

Archive
12-11-2007, 07:35 PM
Posted By: <b>Randy Trierweiler</b><p>Wow, I just saw this thread and was shocked. <br /><br />Larry Fritsch was a Baseball Card Legend in every sense of the word. <br /><br />I remember buying the impossible Topps 6th series from him in 1972. <br /><br />He was the first full-time dealer beginning in 1970. <br /><br />He was also a COLLECTOR first and foremost. <br /><br />RIP Larry

Archive
12-11-2007, 07:51 PM
Posted By: <b>Bob</b><p>If one of you guys who has the computer know-how could post the link to Keith O's tribute to Larry, it would be great.

Archive
12-11-2007, 08:21 PM
Posted By: <b>Wayne Varner</b><p>Larry was one of the orginial pioneers of this great hobby. We all owe a great deal to Larry and the other pioneers of this great hobby. Thanks Larry for all you gave back to the hobby and may you rest in peace.

Archive
12-12-2007, 05:52 AM
Posted By: <b>Bob Lemke</b><p>To give you a better picture of the hobby legend, here's the obituary run in the local paper.<br /><br />Larry Fritsch, 71, prominent Stevens Point businessman, died Saturday, Dec. 8, 2007, at the Aspirus Wausau Hospital with his loving family at his side, following a brief illness. <br /><br />Larry was born Oct. 15, 1936, in Spencer. He was the son of the late Larry and Cecelia (Kotecki) Fritsch. He graduated from Spencer High School in 1954. He then attended the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point, graduating in 1963 with a Bachelor of Science degree in history and political science. Larry was a train baggage man for the Soo Line Railroad from 1955 to 1965. He then worked for the Legislative Fiscal Bureau in Madison for a year doing tax research. He also worked for the Whiting Plover Paper Co. from 1966 to 1967, and then worked for CAP Agency until 1970. <br /><br />On May 1, 1970, he established Larry Fritsch Cards, a mail order company selling baseball, sports cards and other related products. He was the first person in the world to sell sports cards on a full-time basis. As a result of his business, he has been featured in hundreds of newspaper and magazine articles. He also appeared on many radio and television programs, including PM magazine and The Tomorrow Show. Larry was considered an expert on baseball/sports cards, their history and value. In 1987, he ventured out to Cooperstown, N.Y., to open a Baseball Card Museum. Because of distance and travel time, the museum closed in 1992. Larry continued to be involved in his business until the time of his death. <br /><br />In addition to his business, Larry also found time to be involved with the Stevens Point Youth Baseball Association from 1967 until 1983 as a manager, coach, league vice president and board member. He also was a coach and board member with the Stevens Point American Legion Program from 1978 to 1990. Larry also did service work outside of sports. He was the town of Hull assessor from 1969 to 1973, served as town supervisor from 1973 to 1981 in addition to serving on the town of Hull planning and zoning committees. He was a charter member of the Portage County Landfill Committee, and served on the Board of Adjustments and Portage County Smart Growth Committee. <br /><br />Larry was married to Ardy (Molle) Hendrickson on Feb. 8, 1958. The couple divorced in 1985. Larry enjoyed spending time with his family, baseball cards, collecting and operating model trains, doing jigsaw puzzles and reading. Larry loved trees and was also an avid Packers fan (his Uncle Ted Fritsch played on the team from 1942 to 1950) and a Cubs fan. In lieu of flowers, memorials are being established in his name for Stevens Point Youth Baseball Association, Youth Area Football, and the American Cancer Society. <br /><br />Survivors include one son, Jeff (Sue) Fritsch, Stevens Point; one daughter, Jane (Jeff) Gavin, Stevens Point; dear friend and love, Janet Wolle, Stevens Point; two brothers, Donald Fritsch, Spencer and Raymond (Elizabeth) Fritsch, Galesville; six grandchildren, Jeremy Fritsch (UW-La Crosse), Jaycie Fritsch (UW-Oshkosh), and Allison Fritsch of Stevens Point, and Jesse, Jadee and Jakob Gavin all of Stevens Point; and several nieces and nephews; along with Janet's children, Jim (Nancy) Wolle, Marc (Melinda) Wolle, and Susan (Duane) Vandre; and Janet's four grandchildren, Michael and Kristine Wolle and Tyler and Justin Vandre. He was preceded in death by one sister, Priscilla Keene. <br /><br />The funeral Mass will be at 10:30 a.m. Thursday at St. Stephen's Catholic Church with the Rev. Dezaraj officiating. Burial will be at a later date. Family and friends may call from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Wednesday at the Pisarski/Dzikoski Funeral home and from 9:30 a.m. until the time of Mass on Thursday at the church. A parish rosary will be at 7 p.m. Wednesday evening at the Funeral Home. Online condolences can be made at www.pisarskifuneralhome.com &lt;<a href="http://www.pisarskifuneralhome.com/&gt" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.pisarskifuneralhome.com/&gt</a>; . <br />

Archive
12-12-2007, 10:01 AM
Posted By: <b>brian p</b><p>My first mail order vintage bb cards were from Larry--I imagine many long-time (for me early 1980's) and even some newer collectors can say the same. Their catalogues were always an incredibly wonderful surprise in the mail...I usually spent hours pouring over it and narrowing down the choices, figuring out what I could afford. Even though I never actually met Larry, I definitely could feel that he was a true old-school collector at heart. And from what I have read on here it seems like this was indeed the case.<br /><br />Brian

Archive
12-12-2007, 10:11 AM
Posted By: <b>Jason L</b><p>Mr. Fritsch lived a very full life, from the sound of it. Enjoying so many interests, serving several organizations, having a large family, developing so many relationships - we all hope to be so lucky.<br /><br />A good day that his suffering ended, and a sad day for the rest of us. Obits are really tough read, aren't they?<br /><br />RIP...

Archive
12-12-2007, 10:46 AM
Posted By: <b>JimB</b><p>Condolences to his loved ones. A true hobby legend.<br />JimB

Archive
12-13-2007, 06:40 PM
Posted By: <b>Art M.</b><p>Here is the transcript from Keith Olbermann's MSNBC Countdown show on Monday night regarding his tribute to Larry Fritsch:<br /><br />'Countdown with Keith Olbermann' for Dec. 10<br /><br />These stories ahead: it‘s time to count our best three persons in the world Number three, best collector: Larry Fritsch died Saturday in Wisconsin. He was one of the giants of baseball card-collecting. One of the first people to make a living off of it in 1970 which was when I first got to know him. One of the nice things about him is he never stopped being more interested in the cards than the money, and he never changed. Whether I was an 11-year-old kid or an ESPN sportscaster, he always treated me the same, as an equal, as just another collector. Larry Fritsch was 71 years old. Good-bye.

Archive
12-14-2007, 06:27 AM
Posted By: <b>Preece1</b><p>As a 8 year old collector in 1973, the Larry Fritsch catalog was like one of the department store Christmas catalogs. So many great things. My first purchase was a group of 1971 Topps singles to complete my set. As people have said before, he treated collectors of all ages with respect. I also remember the 1957 Topps Elvis set for $4.95. It was a great deal of money for an 8 year old and I was never able to buy it, but always remembered that one set.<br /><br />Does anyone have a catalog from the 1970s to share with the group?<br /><br />

Archive
12-14-2007, 09:12 AM
Posted By: <b>Rick Giddings</b><p>Larry Fritsch,was a true icon,our condolences go out to his family and friends.I can remember the days where Larry,would come out of the back room,to sell me and my brother a card.My dad,owned land in KNOWLTON/MOSINEE area of Wisconsin,very close to Larrys warehouse.Anyways,that was the days when you would ask for a 1956 Roberto Clemente,and Larry would come out of the back room,with a stack of over a 100 of them,amazing.He told my brother,here kiddo,pick one out at this price,as our jaws dropped to the ground.All of us from the great midwest will miss this hobbyist/dealer,he is a legend still to this day,in the sportscard industry.The knowledge that Larry takes with him has to be like a local library or your modern day dictionary.Anyway,MAY GOD BLESS THE FRITSCH FAMILY,and thank you Larry for keeping our hobby solid.<br />Rick Giddings/Gizmo's Sportscards and family.<br /><br />You will never be forgotten.