PDA

View Full Version : SGC Grade of A (Authentic) ?

Archive
12-08-2007, 11:09 AM
Posted By: <b>Frank B</b><p><br /> Would like to know more about this grade and how a card<br />with this grade is perceived/valued. SGC states they <br />consider it a "5" for set registry averaging purposes.<br />I'm not too familiar with it other than the basics.<br />Any and all info appreciated. Thanks.

Archive
12-08-2007, 11:14 AM
Posted By: <b>Matt</b><p>The "authentic" grade can be given for any number of things and therefore the value of the card can also vary as much. A recolored card, a trimmed card and a card that is held together with tape all get an A grade but clearly are value differently based on desirability.

Archive
12-08-2007, 11:16 AM
Posted By: <b>Scott S</b><p>It could mean one of two things:<br /><br />1.) The card is in such poor condition, it doesn't even warrant a grade of 10 (1) to be considered poor.<br /><br />2.) The cards has been altered (trimmed, colored, etc.) and can't be given a numerical grade, but has been slabbed to note its authenticity.<br /><br />I would think giving it a registry weight of being equivalent to a 5 - assuming that means less than poor - makes sense. If it means 5 in terms of on a 1 to 10 scale, then that is overvaluing the card.

Archive
12-08-2007, 11:54 AM
Posted By: <b>Steve Murray</b><p>The 5 is on a 10 to 100 scale.

Archive
12-08-2007, 12:06 PM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>That's a good question, and I think it's really subjective.<br /><br />A very rare card that grades Authentic is still desirable and will receive quite a bit of interest. If a card is common, most collectors would probably prefer a Good or a Very Good even if it didn't have the eye appeal.<br /><br />Different collectors will have a different perception of the Authentic grade.

Archive
12-08-2007, 12:10 PM
Posted By: <b>peter chao</b><p>If a re-colored card would fall into the authentic category, then how about other restored cards? Will SGC grade them authentic or refuse to grade them?<br /><br />Peter C.

Archive
12-08-2007, 12:16 PM
Posted By: <b>Joe D.</b><p>I could be wrong, but I think that I have seen a post here of a restored card in an SGC A holder<br /><br />(where the border of an actress card was used for a trimmed baseball player, a Just So card? my memory is fuzzy - I could be way off)<br />

Archive
12-08-2007, 12:25 PM
Posted By: <b>MVSNYC</b><p>scott pretty much hit the nail on the head...those are the 2 reasons why they would give a card an "A" grade. it just depends on what the card is and/or the condition...<br /><br />i have a T206 Broad Leaf 460 in a PSA "AUTHENTIC" holder. it is very clean, just has a slight hand-cut look to it, but it is still a very tuff and desirable card.

Archive
12-08-2007, 12:25 PM
Posted By: <b>G. Maines</b><p>If we can have Authentic cards rated for registry purposes as 5 on a 10 - 100 scale, then cards which are too poor to grade a SGC10, but are unaltered, can (theoretically) be graded a SGC09, 08, 07, 06. All of which are unaltered and worse than poor.

Archive
12-08-2007, 12:33 PM
Posted By: <b>Phil Garry</b><p>Joe D:<br /><br />I think you are referring to the Jesse Burkett Just So which I believe is currently in a PSA "Authentic" holder.

Archive
12-08-2007, 12:35 PM
Posted By: <b>Joe D.</b><p>that is the card.<br /><br />thanks.

Archive
12-09-2007, 12:13 PM
Posted By: <b>peter chao</b><p>Was the Jesse Burkett Just So restored?<br /><br />Peter C.

Archive
12-09-2007, 12:21 PM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>The Burkett was very restored.<br /><br />It was assembled using pieces from two different Just So's melded together by a paper conservator.

Archive
12-09-2007, 12:28 PM
Posted By: <b>Brad</b><p>Well worth the restoration: <br /><br /><a href="http://www.geocities.com/mostly_rookies" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.geocities.com/mostly_rookies</a>

Archive
12-09-2007, 05:53 PM
Posted By: <b>Marty Kohler</b><p>I`ve posted this story before and no one really responded to it so here goes again........... In Cleveland this year at the National I had with me a 1915 CJ common that I got back from SGC that was marked "pressed" and it was UNslabed. After I more closely inspected the card I saw what they we refuring to and understood, but why not grade it Authentic? I went to their booth and they would not slab it calling it ungradable, no further explanation. Then I took it to the PSA booth and they said, sure we`ll slab it Authentic for you. I just assume that any card no matter the alteration could or should be graded Authentic if it`s an authentic card? Right ? Wrong? Have the grading companies come out with more specific info explaining this grade?..............I continue to enjoy this forum......<br /> <br /> Marty<br><br>GO YARD

Archive
12-09-2007, 06:16 PM
Posted By: <b>Fred C</b><p>AUTH - IMO this is what all grading services should designate an unaltered card. Regardless of what they feel the condition might be. Also, they should disclose creases or other defects.<br /><br />AUTH-ALT - This should be what the grading services provide to cards that are authentic but altered (trimmed, etc - any card that was hand cut from panels or had a coupon removed, etc.)<br /><br />RESTORED - This pretty much speaks for itself. The Just So Burkett is a good example, so is that Ward card from a recent auction out of Colorado.<br /><br />