PDA

View Full Version : Is this an error card? Snodgrass/ nodgrass

Archive
11-23-2007, 08:36 AM
Posted By: <b>FrankB22</b><p><br /> Is this just a faded letter or a known error?<br /><br /><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150183545502&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=005" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150183545502&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=005</a>

Archive
11-23-2007, 08:53 AM
Posted By: <b>JimB</b><p>There are legitimate example of this card (It is a documented variation), but I doubt this is one of them. Most real examples show the right edges of the "S". It is not a result of a fade or light print strike, but probably a broken plate. The fact that this guy hedges a bit in his description and leaves it for us to decide makes me decide against it. This card can be faked.<br />JimB

Archive
11-23-2007, 09:32 AM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>Looks bad, and the bidders agree.

Archive
11-23-2007, 10:19 AM
Posted By: <b>Anthony S.</b><p>Yeah, I noticed that auction yesterday. Looked for all the world to me like someone simply erased that "s". You can see the impression were the entire "s" used to be and the border is slightly whiter where the "s" used to be, suggesting alteration. And I gotta believe if the owner really thought he had a legitimate "nodgrass" he would have sent it off to be authenticated. Especially when you take into consideration (if you look at his feedback) that the last two vintage cards he sold before that were both slabbed by a grading company.

Archive
11-23-2007, 10:48 AM
Posted By: <b>Frank Wakefield</b><p>I do not think that to be an unaltered card. My recollection is that a slight sliver of the right edge of the "S" is visible on the "nodgrass" cards. Someone here either has one, or can post a link to one to verify that. And my recollection could be faulty...<br /><br />I'd stay away from that card.

Archive
11-24-2007, 01:00 PM
Posted By: <b>dan mckee</b><p>Frank is correct, the only legit good Nodgrass errors show a portion of the right side of the S. Do you get that Joe Orlando and PSA graders????