PDA

View Full Version : 2 lots ended early - is it ok to do?

Archive
11-18-2007, 09:55 AM
Posted By: <b>steve</b><p>Sorry if there have been other posts about this subject, but it now affected me directly as I was going to make strong late bids.<br /><br />A P2 pin Cobb PSA 8, and a Cobb domino disc PSA 6 both closed early by seller. Did the seller get a good offer "off the record" for these 2 items, decided to save the ebay fees, and sell early?<br /><br />Bummer, steve.

Archive
11-18-2007, 12:09 PM
Posted By: <b>Paul</b><p>No, it's not OK, but it's the way it is. As long as bidders wait until the last possible moment before entering anything that resembles what the item in question is actually worth, some sellers will panic. The paranoia over shilling and the desire to get an item at a bargain basement price is the price a bidder must sometimes pay for letting an item sit for days at a cheap level without stepping up to the plate.

Archive
11-18-2007, 12:12 PM
Posted By: <b>David Smith</b><p>Steve, <br /><br />In other threads about this topic, some people have suggested that you E mail the seller and tell them you are interested in the item/s and that you are waiting until the end to place your bid so as not to draw attention from other bidders. This will let them know that there ARE people interested who haven't bid yet. You can also ask the seller to not end the auction early.<br /><br />I hope this helps,<br /><br />David

Archive
11-18-2007, 12:13 PM
Posted By: <b>Jeff Lichtman</b><p>I can tell you that the seller made a mistake letting that Domino Disc Cobb go early.

Archive
11-18-2007, 12:14 PM
Posted By: <b>keyway</b><p>Some one just picked up a whole album of tobacco cards on ebay. The auction could not have been on more than 2 hours. I read it and then went back to write the seller for some info and it had been taken off.

Archive
11-18-2007, 12:22 PM
Posted By: <b>Jeff Williams</b><p>Keyway, can you provide a link to the auction?<br /><br />Jeff

Archive
11-18-2007, 12:25 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Bretta</b><p>In certain cases I have emailed a seller and told them that if someone made an offer to them to end the auction that I would hope they would contact me for a counteroffer first.

Archive
11-18-2007, 01:14 PM
Posted By: <b>JimCrandell</b><p>Sure--why not? Happens a lot and just another competitive tool.

Archive
11-18-2007, 07:18 PM
Posted By: <b>Larry</b><p>Bid high early and then set the snipe, otherwise the seller will get cold feet and shut down the auction.

Archive
11-18-2007, 07:37 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Bretta</b><p>Yes...another auction on my snipe list ended early today with one day to go. No bids had been placed. I emailed the seller, but they have not responded yet.

Archive
11-19-2007, 08:04 AM
Posted By: <b>keyway</b><p>Sorry Jeff, I never did get the link.

Archive
11-19-2007, 08:41 AM
Posted By: <b>Matt</b><p>Unless the listing was removed by ebay as an invalid listing, it will show up in the closed auctions.

Archive
11-19-2007, 07:16 PM
Posted By: <b>Larry</b><p>Originally, I felt that it is OK to end early since a fair offer is a guaranteed profit but as time goes on, I think so many people snipe, it is very difficult to tell what your item/lot will end up with until the very end so now I really do not think it is prudent.<br /><br />E bay could eventually offer a listing option at a fee to have a 1 minute extended time for bidders that at least put in a bid similar to major auctions but until then, I rarely end early and only if it is a lot that has one bidder or less at that time.