PDA

View Full Version : Confused on Card Values??

Archive
11-17-2007, 01:01 PM
Posted By: <b>Neal</b><p>I hope this is not a dumb question. But when it comes to determining values of cards I get somewhat confused. I recently bought the 2008 Standard catalog of BB and I also use the PSA SMR Online as well as past auction prices. They are all so much different in values.<br /><br />example I picked up from a fellow N54 on Ebay last night a M116 PSA4 Jimmy Walsh gray back. SMR says a PSA5 is $275 while in 2008 SC say VG-EX is $475-720 range.<br /><br />I am a true collector but I also sell some cards PT to a good friend of mine. I try not to overcharge him but just want to make sure I get good idea of values!<br /><br />Thanks All!

Archive
11-17-2007, 01:08 PM
Posted By: <b>Matt</b><p>use both of those and also see what the same card has sold for in the past, by checking ebay closed auctions or using VCP.

Archive
11-17-2007, 01:22 PM
Posted By: <b>G. Maines</b><p>Matt: in adjudicating an average SC vg/ex price of $600, with an SMR vg/ex price of $275. what exact method do you recommend for "use both of those and also see what the same card has sold for in the past"?<br /><br />I would recommend to dump the two of them in favor of the latter.

Archive
11-17-2007, 01:30 PM
Posted By: <b>Matt</b><p>Gil - I think all information on pricing is valuable. I don't have a specific formula for how to use them all. I would suggest though that taking that simply using past auctions isn't sufficient especially in cases where there are just a few sales and one anomaly could throw the whole average.

Archive
11-17-2007, 01:30 PM
Posted By: <b>Mark T</b><p>A book or PSA-SMR report can't give you an accurate price range of a card, only VCP or Ebay can gauge what market value is at any given time. The book does not differentiate between a up or down cycle in the card market.<br /><br />Its true that private deals are a good reflection of what a cards value is but most are just that, "private".<br /><br />

Archive
11-17-2007, 01:34 PM
Posted By: <b>Dave F</b><p>If your cards are graded...then VCP would I think obviously be the best method to look at unless your talking about something so scarce there hasn't been any recorded auction results.

Archive
11-17-2007, 01:38 PM
Posted By: <b>Darren</b><p>Disregard prices in price guides. It's my personal opinion that publishing a price guide that does not accurately reflect the market is irresponsible.

Archive
11-17-2007, 02:02 PM
Posted By: <b>Brian</b><p>Using a printed price guide instead of the internet (VCP and/or ebay) to get pricing is like using a horse and buggy to travel from New York City to Los Angeles instead of an airplane.

Archive
11-17-2007, 02:19 PM
Posted By: <b>barry arnold</b><p>I'm with Darren on this one.<br />The guides(in book form) are no longer helpful, not even for a ballpark idea.<br /><br />best,<br />barry

Archive
11-17-2007, 03:07 PM
Posted By: <b>George</b><p>I'm definitely an advocate of monitoring closed auctions using ebay completed listings and although I have not shelled out the minimal monthly payment for VCP, I think this is most likely the best source of card pricing information. I'll also look at the price guides as an additional source of information however would not use it as my primary source.