PDA

View Full Version : Save on shipping

Archive
11-11-2007, 01:20 PM
Posted By: <b>Dwight Davis</b><p>I just realized a new way to save on shipping the cards you sell... Charge a reasonable price for shipping $2 - $5, but only put a 39 cent stamp on the envelope. That way, when the card arrives the buyer has to pay the reminder of the postage.<br />A card I bought arrived in this manner yesterday. I ponied up 72 cents for postage due. I had no problem with the card, except it was mailed with no protection aside from the top loader in which it was placed. <br />Won't buy from this guy again.<br />Sorry, had to vent.

Archive
11-11-2007, 02:17 PM
Posted By: <b>Steve Dawson</b><p>If it was from ebay, I hope you gave him a negative...that kind of "service" is bullsh!t!!!<br /><br /><br /><br />Steve

Archive
11-11-2007, 02:40 PM
Posted By: <b>Dwight Davis</b><p>It was from Ebay. I didn't give him a negative for fear he may contrive a reason to give me one. I don't plan to post any feedback.

Archive
11-11-2007, 04:30 PM
Posted By: <b>Matt</b><p>Dwight - while I understand the fear for negative feedback retaliation, wouldn't you have appreciated it if someone who he did this to before had given him the neg so you could have seen before you bought? My feedback looks horrible because I give negs when deserved (and get the retaliation) and I would hope others would as well. If you are a seller, then consider getting a second ebay ID just for buying so a low feedback won't impact your income.

Archive
11-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Posted By: <b>howard</b><p>Give the guy a chance to make good. Tell him what happened and ask him to deposit the amount you laid out into your paypal account. It could have been an honest mistake.<br /><br />Howard

Archive
11-11-2007, 05:11 PM
Posted By: <b>Matt</b><p>"it was mailed with no protection aside from the top loader in which it was placed."<br /><br />How could that be a mistake?

Archive
11-11-2007, 05:18 PM
Posted By: <b>howard</b><p>True, I missed that part. I was just thinking of the postage. The guy doesn't sound too bright.

Archive
11-11-2007, 05:23 PM
Posted By: <b>Dwight Davis</b><p>The postage thing could have been a mistake. I thought about that. I don't care at all about the 72 cents. But not protecting the card any better was pretty careless. I was put off by the combination of the two. It was only a T206 common and less than $30, but still.. You're right, though. I think I should contact him before I post a neg. Maybe there is a good explanation.

Archive
11-11-2007, 05:27 PM
Posted By: <b>Matt</b><p>I got a $150 card in a penny sleeve in a white plain envelope after paying the seller $5 for shipping. When I contacted the seller, I was responded to with the most vile profanity laced email I have seen in a while. Needless to say, there was a neg (and of course the ridiculous retaliatory neg calling me a liar).

Archive
11-11-2007, 06:58 PM
Posted By: <b>David Goff</b><p>You could complain to your local PO. I was overcharged $13 on a non-baseball (it was a Maker's Mark bottle)item. I went up to my post office and talked to the post master about how I was over charged for shipping and she said it could constitute a postal fraud and I could file a complaint with them against the seller. I know for just a couple of bucks, it might not be worth it, but for future reference.

Archive
11-11-2007, 07:12 PM
Posted By: <b>Bob</b><p>What's funny is I send everything out priority mail with a delivery confirmation and cgarge a flat $4.50 (which is actually less than the actual cost). Sometimes I have had to pay as much as $6 extra but just ate it since I charged a flat $4.50. When I went to the new ebay seller star system, everything was perfect except the column for shippping being reasonable which was the top star but only half filled (sellers will know what I mean). I have never made a penny on shipping so I figure WTF. I guess people think shipping should be $2.00 or $2.50 no matter if you use first class, media or priority.

Archive
11-11-2007, 07:22 PM
Posted By: <b>Eric B</b><p>I agree. Most people do think shipping should be $2.00 to $2.50 and that paying $4.50 for a service (priority) which saves maybe a day off delivery is not worth it. <br /><br />But I guess that's what the feedback shipping line of stars is for - those who charge a lot.

Archive
11-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Posted By: <b>Matt</b><p>Why not then just give the buyer the option? Then they're the one making the decision to pay more, not you.

Archive
11-11-2007, 07:33 PM
Posted By: <b>Bob</b><p>Matt- probably a good point but if you tell someone ahead of time the priority mail shipping is $4.50 and includes a free delivery confirmation, then I would assume 99% of the buyers are fine with it. I really don't care, if someone asks me to slip it in a top loader and send it in a plain envelope for 41 cents and they take the responsbility for loss or damage, I will. I just like the idea of sending a card in a hard holder surrounded by thick cardboard inside an envelope inside a priority mailer with delivery confirmation and think $4.50 is fine. To each his own I guess...

Archive
11-11-2007, 07:42 PM
Posted By: <b>Matt</b><p>Bob - I agree with your preferred method of shipping, but if you're bothered by the low star rating on the shipping, as it seems you are, the solution is what I suggested since then the buyer can't feel like you overcharged them on shipping if they choose to pay extra for the better shipping.