PDA

View Full Version : Standard Catalog Now on DVD (with a Catch)

Archive
11-06-2007, 04:21 PM
Posted By: <b>Dave Hornish</b><p>Latest issue of SCD (yes, I still subscribe-27 years and counting)contains a promo for the Standard Catalog on DVD-but only from 1981 to present. To quote Charlie Brown: Aarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!! <br /><br />Why would they only include the modern era?! This would be ideal for having a copy with me on my laptop.

Archive
11-06-2007, 04:33 PM
Posted By: <b>Matt</b><p>The probably only include the modern era since that's the part most of us tear off and throw away.

Archive
11-06-2007, 05:37 PM
Posted By: <b>Paul S</b><p>.05, .10, $1.50...etc. What else would you need to know about the modern era?

Archive
11-06-2007, 06:46 PM
Posted By: <b>CN</b><p> I am just curious is SCD down to 50 pages per issue yet and do 2 seperate issues arrive on the same day. What a shame this once fine publication has been run into the ground. CN

Archive
11-07-2007, 09:59 AM
Posted By: <b>Ted Holden</b><p>With Bob Lemke now gone from SCD and Rich Klein gone from Beckett many years of experience have been lost in the editing of the annual price guides produced by those companies. While price guides are used by few as the actual worth of any card, I personally find them helpful in providing <br /><br />I also use the guides as a benchmark, which, with the application of a percentage factor based on grade, provides a value I use in determining opening bids in the auctions I list on ebay. Does anybody else use these in a similar fashion.<br /><br />Does anybody have any thoughts about expectations going forward with these two resources? My guess is that Bob and Rich may well not want to comment publicly, but some thoughts via e-mail would be appreciated.<br /><br />I agree that the DVD is of no value to most of us, but older cards in such a format could be useful.<br><br>Texas Ted<br />

Archive
11-07-2007, 10:10 AM
Posted By: <b>Jay</b><p>Eventually I think SCD will be 27 pages, 24 pages of Coaches Corner Auction ads, a Mr Mint ad, one page of classifieds and one article on whatever happened to Rip Repulski.

Archive
11-07-2007, 12:15 PM
Posted By: <b>Bob</b><p>Not having read SCD in many years I am curious, do any of the collectors here ever find nice prewar cards at nice prices which aren't offered elsewhere or has ebay pretty much ended that?

Archive
11-07-2007, 12:17 PM
Posted By: <b>Tom Boblitt</b><p>no but you can get a Josh Gibson autographed baseball for like $400 from a Coach's Corner auction...........<br />

Archive
11-07-2007, 03:18 PM
Posted By: <b>Dave Hornish</b><p>Very little prewar in SCD these days. I mainly read it for the occasional article of interest and to check ads for Topps test stuff. We'll see if it makes it to my subscription expiry of October 2009. It is averaging about 56 pages and a number of articles are written by advertisers now.

Archive
11-07-2007, 03:21 PM
Posted By: <b>Rick McQuillan</b><p>I still subscribe, and I enjoy the magazine. Mark Smith still advertises, and I have bought some Goudeys and Diamond Stars from his ads, and Kevin Savage has been running auctions with vintage cards.<br /><br />Speaking as a Postal worker, don't blame SCD when two separate issues arrive on the same day. A couple of years ago the Postal Service initiated a new "streamlined" system for periodicals. The system seems to work well for the big publishers, such as Newsweek, Time, etc, but for the smaller mailers the problems are still there. <br /><br />I would love to see the vintage card section of the Standard Catalog on DVD. I could take it with me when I travel rather than lug the catalog around. Maybe the checklists could be interactive and allow the user to keep track of cards on the DVD. <br /><br />Take care,<br />Rick

Archive
11-07-2007, 08:09 PM
Posted By: <b>Bruce Babcock</b><p>I loved Rip Repulski!! But not enough to subscribe again to SCD . . .