PDA

View Full Version : 1886 vintage paper w/ St. Louis players???

Archive
11-03-2007, 09:36 AM
Posted By: <b>George</b><p>Does anyone on the board know what this is?<br /><br /><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=110185317605" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=110185317605</a><br /><br />Something didn't seem right about the look of the players glued to the "vintage" paper. The look of the players vaguely resemble the photos on the N370 Lone Jack cards but I have not been able to find any possible connection beyond that.<br /><br /><br /><br />

Archive
11-03-2007, 09:47 AM
Posted By: <b>Phil Garry</b><p>I'm not an expert on this stuff but are those the same images used for the 1888 Scrapp's issue?

Archive
11-03-2007, 09:52 AM
Posted By: <b>dstudeba</b><p>They did remind me of the Scrapps. I just assumed they were woodcuts from some magazine that someone had pasted together and passed on it. I could very easily be wrong.

Archive
11-03-2007, 09:53 AM
Posted By: <b>George</b><p>Hi Phil,<br />That's a good observation...they do look similar to the scrapps although they are not scrapps. Maybe there's a connection there...not sure?<br /><br />George

Archive
11-03-2007, 11:52 AM
Posted By: <b>Dan Bretta</b><p>Probably cutouts from a Harper's Weekly. Leslie's or some other magazine of the day.

Archive
11-03-2007, 12:01 PM
Posted By: <b>George</b><p>Folks,<br />Thanks for all the great info! I was thinking in my one-track mind that it had to be a "traditional" card of some sort versus a cut out but after seeing some of the comments here and looking back at the photos, that would make a lot of sense.

Archive
11-03-2007, 12:16 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>I recall that there was a period St. Louis newspaper that had a woodcut of the team. I don't recall exactly what it looked like but it showed the various players.

Archive
11-03-2007, 12:21 PM
Posted By: <b>Frank Wakefield</b><p>I don't think they are Harper's woodcuts. Harper's didn't publish images for all of those players. And they are similar to Scrapps, but they aren't Scrapps.<br /><br />I think they are prints of woodcuts, either from a magazine or a St. Louis newspaper of the day, that were cut out and pasted onto a scrapbook page. I've bought similar stuff.<br /><br />Once, I saw a set of scrapbooks, there were 16. This kid made them around 1911 to 1913 in New York. He had one for each team. The books for the Highlanders, Dodgers, and Giants had the most stuff, obviously. He'd clipped stuff from newspapers, mainly images with captions, but a few stories. And he'd penciled in trade and retirement information. Really interesting stuff. These St. Louis images remind me of those little scrapbooks.

Archive
11-03-2007, 12:54 PM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>There was a little yearbook style pamphlet put out by the St. Louis Browns in about 1887. I had a couple of copies of it about ten years ago and it is quite rare. I wish my memory were better but these very well may be the pages from that book.

Archive
11-03-2007, 12:58 PM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>I just found it in my June, 1999 catalog:<br /><br />"1887 St. Louis Browns Champion Base Ball Club of the World" put out by Merrell's Penetrating Oil.<br /><br />The book measures 6" x 3 1/2" and has full page line drawings of the members of the team. That might be it.

Archive
11-03-2007, 01:04 PM
Posted By: <b>Frank Wakefield</b><p>I think Barry has it pegged...<br /><br />Depends on the size of that scrapbook page. And whoever pasted them might have trimmed them down so they'd fit better on the page.

Archive
11-03-2007, 01:22 PM
Posted By: <b>George</b><p>Folks,<br />I'm really impressed by all the feedback. It was just something I had never seen before and based on my limited knowledge wanted to get feedback from the board.<br /><br />I'm sure this will be one of many auctions that I'll second guess on and not end up bidding but great to have this resource to gain additional expertise from everyone here. Thanks!<br />