PDA

View Full Version : Net54 account set up question

Archive
10-31-2007, 01:28 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>I have a friend (yes I still have one) setting up a Net54 account and he got an email back asking to post a link Net54 sent to him, in order to verify his email address. Since I haven't registered in about 6 yrs is this what they do now? thanks much....

Archive
10-31-2007, 01:31 PM
Posted By: <b>Sean BH</b><p>That sounds right; many sites now want you to confirm your e-mail and follow a link they send you via e-mail to confirm...keeps the spammers and people who set-up accounts with fake e-mail addresses.<br /><br />sdbh

Archive
10-31-2007, 01:36 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>That's what I thought to and told this person the exact same thing...I didn't think it was any big deal since he instigated the email.....thanks much

Archive
10-31-2007, 01:36 PM
Posted By: <b>James Feagin</b><p>Leon,<br /><br />Off-topic question but I'd like to know how to make a "picture signature" above my name? I checked the forum rules and I guess I missed it.

Archive
10-31-2007, 01:39 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>No worries about OT in this thread....it can be an operational general question thread.....but to answer you, I am sorry I don't know....if someone else doesn't chime in I will find out for you....regards

Archive
10-31-2007, 01:39 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>It's probably like when your bank or eBay asks you to type in those strange letters or numbers in a picture. Those pics of weird words is to prevent robo computers from signing up accounts. This demonstrates one way that a humans is superior to computers. A human can perceive letters and numbers in those warped, often interupted figures, while a computer can't. <br /><br />An elementary example is if you take the letter 'G' and cut it in half so there is a small space between the two halves. A human still perceives it as the letter G, but a computer doesn't. The computer defines G as a single object, so two objects isn't recognized as the letter. In this case, the computer is literally correct and the human literally incorrect, and the human is using its imagination. When eBay asks the user to translate the figures and designs loosely resembling letters and numbers, it is determining if the user has a human imagination, something a computer doesn't have. A computer is like someone who's very smart, but takes everything literally. It can do your accounting but won't get your jokes.

Archive
10-31-2007, 01:40 PM
Posted By: <b>Derek Granger</b><p>Hi there,<br /><br />I got the same verification message when I signed up (about 3 weeks ago). I didn't have a problem logging in even without verifying the e-mail address (for about 2 weeks), so I'm not sure if it's necessary to verify, but I did anyway. I always follow the rules =)<br /><br />~Derek

Archive
10-31-2007, 01:41 PM
Posted By: <b>Sean BH</b><p>James,<br />Do you mean the avitar above your login name?<br /><br />sdbh

Archive
10-31-2007, 01:44 PM
Posted By: <b>Marty Ogelvie</b><p><P>YES.&nbsp; It's only been about 6 months since I joined and they sent me a link via email to click on to verify my email.&nbsp; </P><P>Its legit!</P><br><br>martyOgelvie<br />nyyankeecards.com

Archive
10-31-2007, 01:46 PM
Posted By: <b>dennis</b><p>james on the main page go to my account and then to personnel photo and the rest is like posting a pic.<br />edited to add---you will have to login to make the my account appear.

Archive
10-31-2007, 01:49 PM
Posted By: <b>James Feagin</b><p>Thanks so much! I will do that when I get home tonight.<br /><br />James