PDA

View Full Version : Can An Off-Register Card or a Card With a Printer's Flaw Be Considered NrMt.?

Archive
10-22-2007, 12:45 PM
Posted By: <b>peter chao</b><p>We've all seen them a gorgeous vintage card, however, there's a slight blurring of the image (off-register). Or there might be a stray printer's mark on the face of the card. Can this type of card be considered NrMt.?<br /><br />Peter C.

Archive
10-22-2007, 01:18 PM
Posted By: <b>ItsOnlyGil</b><p>It will depend on your definition of "mint".<br />My definition of "mint" is a card as it came from the manufacturing facility with all of its attributes, good and bad.<br />So off center, poor registration, printing flaws, miscut, colors missing, and other manufacturing defects only serve to define the range of quality control tolerances of an issue.<br />This is an aspect of a set.<br /><br />But to some, the manufacturing process should be "graded" as well as the state of preservation of the card. To me, if that is wanted, a seperate grade should be utilized for manufacturing defects; resulting in a dual grade.

Archive
10-23-2007, 10:46 AM
Posted By: <b>Scott</b><p>From a pure grading perspective there is typically a notation (e.g. PD for Print Defect) included on these cards. At least for newer cards like 1980s Jordans I've received a PSA9 PD qualifier. I'm pretty sure they would consider applying these qualifiers to vintage cards as well.