PDA

View Full Version : Mayos

Archive
10-16-2007, 06:59 PM
Posted By: <b>Gilbert Maines</b><p>Mayo Cut Plugs have nice images which look a bit like photos, and exhibit nuances in coloration much like OJs, however they are not albumen prints. A quick scan through Lipsett's does not identify how they are made (unless I missed it). What type of process was used to create these typical sepia prints?

Archive
10-17-2007, 02:45 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>Good question...maybe one of the resident board photography experts will chime in for us....They seem to be different than Old Judges but I don't know...

Archive
10-17-2007, 02:50 PM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>They are some kind of printed photograph, but I agree that their style is unlike any other known baseball card. They are kind of a crossbreed between a real photo and a chromolithographic card, but I don't know the name of the process.

Archive
10-17-2007, 03:18 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>They are prints not photos. I've never seen one in person, but there were various kinds of photomechanical prints that could have been used, like photoengraving (standard for sports cards, though likely will have a strictly black and white appearance), collotype (used on movie lobby cards, postcards, etc and can come in various colors), photogravure (used on some old baseball prints) and others.