PDA

View Full Version : eBay advice - how long do you wait?

Archive
10-10-2007, 09:16 AM
Posted By: <b>Kyle</b><p>Here's the scenario I am facing.<br /><br />List high dollar item (several thousand dollars) for fixed price auction last week. Buyer purchases it for fixed price on Saturday. Emailed eBay invoice through their immediately, as well as an email asking for a response letting me know what form of payment was being sent. No response so far. Sent follow up email yesterday, still nothing. <br /><br />How long does one wait until calling the person, and eventually (but hopefully not) filing a report through ebay?<br /><br />Buyer has low feedback (sub 50), but has bought from some of the bigger vintage buyers on eBay this year, nothing recent.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Kyle<br />

Archive
10-10-2007, 09:28 AM
Posted By: <b>Joe D.</b><p>Kyle,<br /><br />I've been there before and it stinks.<br /><br />I am not sure the time frame you should wait...but I can share some advice for future auctions -<br /><br />I would advise anyone who puts a fixed price 'buy it now' -<br />to select the option of "immediate payment required".<br /><br />This requires a person actually pays - otherwise the auction keeps going.<br /><br />I have had people click my 'buy it nows' just to screw around - thus closing the auction. Then its a pain from there to either re-list / get your eBay fees back, etc. Always put the 'immediate payment required' on fixed price auctions.<br /><br /><br />jmho.

Archive
10-10-2007, 09:30 AM
Posted By: <b>Mark T</b><p>You should be ok. I sold my 51' Bowman Mantle a few months ago to a guy with 4 feedback. I was worried after 4 days of no response. He ended up being away and got home to notice i took his offer. He sent a check and we were all set.<br /><br />Give it a few more days.

Archive
10-10-2007, 09:31 AM
Posted By: <b>Kyle</b><p>Thanks, Joe. This is the second time its happened. First time the buyer claimed someone hacked his computer to make an offer, which I accepted, only to have the buyer deny the purchase. Not wanting to deal with it, I said fine - I got my money back from eBay eventually.<br /><br />At least I have the item. I can argue back with eBay, but I agree... it sure stinks.<br /><br />I'll likely wait until 7 days have passed.

Archive
10-10-2007, 09:33 AM
Posted By: <b>Dave F</b><p>Hindsight is 20/20 but I think the best thing to do when setting up these BIN auctions are to put in the auction your time frame for payment...something like if paying by paypal please do so in 48 hours, if paying by check or money order please advice so in 24 or 48 hours...then you have more grounds to stand on when needing to eventually file with ebay. <br /><br />Joe, <br />As far as requiring immediate payment, the problem is that limits to only getting a buyer that will pay through paypal...when many it seem don't like that and would rather send a check. <br /><br /><br />

Archive
10-10-2007, 09:34 AM
Posted By: <b>Neal</b><p>Yes one of the biggest disappointments is when your waiting and waiting for any kind of reply from winning buyer! I have waited as long as 10 days before a reply. Give it until end of week or so. I have been emailed finally only to be told guy was on vacation,etc...<br /><br />Patience can be tough! Good Luck!

Archive
10-10-2007, 09:41 AM
Posted By: <b>Kyle</b><p>One reason I actually don't request immediate payment is that I offer free shipping when a bidder pays with a check or money order, saving me paypal fees.<br /><br />I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Archive
10-10-2007, 12:41 PM
Posted By: <b>boxingcardman</b><p>24 hours? 48 hours? For something ending over a weekend...come on, not everyone sits at the computer all weekend and then slams their payment in the moment an invoice comes across. Some people, myself included, send out one paypal or snail mail payment group a week. And sellers who pepper me with "how are you paying, when are you paying" emails within a day or two of the auction ending tick me off to the point where I blacklist them because dealing with them is too much of a pain in the keister. I think a week to receive payment before you start pestering the buyer or otherwise raising alarm bells is appropriate.

Archive
10-10-2007, 02:56 PM
Posted By: <b>dennis</b><p>i think 10 days is fair. if buyer bought on sat. banks & post office were closed on monday(holiday). if it's a high priced item funds might have to be taken from savings to checking. some people work 9-5 so that makes it difficult to do. i'd say you are really being very demanding,after only 1 business day. <br /><br />

Archive
10-10-2007, 04:23 PM
Posted By: <b>Kyle</b><p>I'm not asking for payment, just for acknowledgment of emails. A simple 10 second email response is all thats needed.<br /><br />I agree with the weekend things, some are on their computers a lot, some are not.<br /><br />Thanks for the input!<br />-Kyle<br />

Archive
10-13-2007, 02:58 PM
Posted By: <b>Kyle</b><p>As you guys predicted, nothing to worry about, yet. Received the check today, let's hope it clears. Still never one email back from the buyer. Maybe all the emails go to the spam folder?<br /><br />Have a great weekend,<br />Kyle<br /><br />

Archive
10-13-2007, 05:24 PM
Posted By: <b>martindl</b><p><br /><br />A few things - less so for you Kyle given that you got your check but for others. <br />If you sell items, use your My Ebay to look to see if the person has use the checkout on the item and then go check the details of it. I sell quite a bit, not sportscards, and often people use the checkout feature to state they're sending a MO or Check/Cheque. I never get an email or Ebay message from them, but at least I know something is in the works.<br /><br />I'm surprised at the numbers of people who have zero contact and then a week or two later something shows up in the mail. Personally, I think its rude, but perhaps thats just me. I think if you can sit at your computer and take the time to hunt for items, then you can take 15 seconds to send a quick email.

Archive
10-13-2007, 06:01 PM
Posted By: <b>Kyle</b><p>Exactly, it takes all of 15 second to say, yep - check is in the mail! I admit to be over anxious and concerned, but it was a lot of money, the most single dollar item I have sold on eBay. Hopefully the check clears with no problems. I was asking the bank teller how long I should wait, and they seemed to misinterpret what I was asking and I think they think I am a fraud man.<br /><br />