PDA

View Full Version : Popular set, but... WHY!?

Archive
10-09-2007, 08:02 PM
Posted By: <b>Jason L</b><p>I thought this might be an interesting bookend post to Milford Mark's current one on "Best" set to collect.<br /><br />What set or sets are out there that just totally escape you as to why anyone would collect them? <br /><br />Everyone seems to love many of the same sets, and I was curious to know whether the negative sentiment is just as focused.<br /><br />I hope this thread does not turn into alot of fighting or whatever, (and perhaps I am in a bit of a negative mood because my Cubs just rolled over again, in very embarrassing fashion), but I would like to hear which sets strike people as just unappealing, or even worse: uncollectable!<br /><br />My vote:<br />Overall: any strip card issue<br />Popular, but doesn't do anything fo me: 1952 Topps<br /><br />Honestly, no offense meant to anyone's collecting interests, and I hope we can stay away from personal attacks...just wondering what a poll on the opposite would yield

Archive
10-09-2007, 08:20 PM
Posted By: <b>Josh</b><p>I am curious why you mentioned any strip card ? I see some have sold for a few grand in different auction houses. In the new graded card investor magazine by beckett they even put in 1921 w551 set and a few others. I personally like them but I have no clue to why a lot of people don't like them.. Why is that? I am really curious to hear feedback on the strip cards....

Archive
10-09-2007, 08:23 PM
Posted By: <b>Jason L</b><p>well, I am generalizing, I freely admit that. And I am no expert, nor have I seen all the issues, I am sure, but having said all that...when I hear "strip card" I think of little cartoonish pictures that rarely look like the player being depicted, cut roughly by hand at odd angles, and in these weird families of color tones...none of which appeals to me.<br /><br />My exception is the black and white photographic issues, which can look fairly decent...

Archive
10-09-2007, 08:54 PM
Posted By: <b>steve yawitz</b><p>I'm with you on strip cards: I don't get 'em. I don't think D304's are real appealing either since most of them look like glorified strip cards. <br /><br />Then again, others would say T206's are hopelessly pedestrian. They would, of course, be wrong, but to each his (or her) own.<br><br><a href="http://imageevent.com/yawie99" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://imageevent.com/yawie99</a>

Archive
10-09-2007, 11:07 PM
Posted By: <b>barry arnold</b><p>Certainly not pedestrian, Yawie ole buddy!<br />Following your kindness, i might be willing to say primus inter pares.<br /><br />all the best,<br /><br />barry