PDA

View Full Version : cdv Facsmile?

Archive
09-27-2007, 09:46 PM
Posted By: <b>Denny Walsh</b><p>Greetings Ladies & Gentlemen,<br /> I'd like to Post this question towards the c1900 collecting folks & those who have any knowledge in this area!<br /><br />"Were Facsmiles Signatures at all a process to go along with a Famous Individuals or Team Photos?"<br /><br />Any & All help will be very much appreciated.....<br /><br />I'm goin to venture off to Mr. Cyclebacks site to see what I can find myself, then continue to research this matter elsewhere....<br /><br />I'll then check back tomorrow....<br /><br />Life's Grand,<br />Denny Walsh

Archive
09-27-2007, 09:58 PM
Posted By: <b>Jimmy Leiderman</b><p>Not sure if I understand your question, but it was somewhat popular for late 1880's photographers to sell famous people images with facsimile signatures.<br /><br /> <br /><br />

Archive
09-27-2007, 10:22 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>Commercially sold 1800s-1900s CDVs of celebrities sometimes had a machine printed faux signature of the celebrity below the image. Sometimes included a salutation ala 'Yours Truly.' This was most common practice for single person CDVs, not team portraits. It may have been done, but I can't offhand recall an example of machine printed signatures of all the players on a team CDV.<br /><br />So, if you have a 1860s CDV of Abe Lincoln or Robert E. Lee with printed autographs on the bottom, they could be genuine and from the 1860s.

Archive
09-29-2007, 03:44 PM
Posted By: <b>Denny Walsh</b><p>It's what it's all about in this wonderful wacky world of cards! Thank you both for your input.... <br /><br />Mr. Cycleback, <br /> I really enjoy your site. It takes me to a world that I'm very intrigued by. Thank you for your efforts to educate us by making such info available!<br /><br />Life's Grand,<br />Denny Walsh