PDA

View Full Version : EBAY Seller Advice

Archive
09-20-2007, 02:35 PM
Posted By: <b>Jason L</b><p>To: The All-Knowing Board<br />Re: Becoming an Ebay Seller<br /><br />If you had 1 or 2 top pieces of advice for someone who is about to start listing cards on Ebay for the first time, what would those be? I started going through all the pages that Ebay has and I was surprised at how much there is to be aware of and think about, and how many hoops to go through (if you choose to accept paypal pmnts, etc)<br /><br />(I am speaking primarily of operational choices, such as BINs, Best offers, other choices, rather than the "Don't be a fruad" sort of thing, which I have no interest in perpetrating!)<br /><br />Top Do's or Don'ts are equally appreciated!!!<br /><br />Thanks for indulging me.<br />

Archive
09-20-2007, 02:38 PM
Posted By: <b>Marc S.</b><p>1. Provide clear scans.<br /><br />2. Have reasonable shipping charges.<br /><br />3. Have &gt;100 feedback with greater than 99.8% positive feedback.<br /><br />4. Ship promptly after being paid.<br /><br />5. I would suggest being flexible in the types of payments you receive (e.g. Paypal, etc.), but I like seeing Paypal as a buyer, but now refuse to use it as a seller. So I'll leave that up to you.

Archive
09-20-2007, 02:40 PM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>There are varying opinions about how to best sell on ebay.<br /><br />First I would really recommend selling graded cards only, unless you are listing beaters. As far as whether or not to use a reserve, that is a matter of opinion. I like to start everything at $9.95 and let it ride, and generally do well, but you do get the occasional disappointment. If that doesn't work for you, set a reasonable reserve and try not to scare away bidders.<br /><br />Finally, try to include clear pictures of the front and back. Make sure bidders are able to see what they are bidding on so there are no misunderstandings.

Archive
09-20-2007, 02:42 PM
Posted By: <b>Jason L</b><p>sell graded only?<br />to thwart potential returns?<br />couldn't you just provide real good scans and say "as-is" regardless of whether or not it's graded?<br />is there a choice of picture/scan size?

Archive
09-20-2007, 02:45 PM
Posted By: <b>Vincent</b><p><br />Marc S.,<br /><br />Why the refusal to use PayPal as a seller ?<br /><br /><br />Call me naive, but it would seem to me that PayPal offers a quick, secure means of collecting payment, and therefore the opportunity to ship items out quicker. As an individual who purchases items on eBay, I love those sellers who ship quickly. Are the Paypal-imposed fees outrageous ? Or is it possible for payments to be reversed out of your account ? Your insight would be much appreciated.<br /><br /><br /><br />

Archive
09-20-2007, 02:47 PM
Posted By: <b>Jim Clarke</b><p>Do 7 day listings as an auction and have them end on Sunday night. <br /><br />Except every kind of payment except IOU's. <br /><br />Answer e-mails timely and have a personality.<br /><br />E-mails are like phone calls...<br /><br />Thanks JC

Archive
09-20-2007, 02:55 PM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>Jason- if you want to sell raw cards "as is" you certainly can, but I don't think you will get really strong prices. It might scare off a few bidders. With all the fraud that goes on ebay, it might make people nervous.

Archive
09-20-2007, 02:57 PM
Posted By: <b>Matt</b><p>I would imagine the objecting to Paypal is based on the fees - ebay takes a good chunk and you can keep the remainder via a check or money order. Personally, I'm a Paypal fan, but that's one reason not to use it as a seller.

Archive
09-20-2007, 02:59 PM
Posted By: <b>David R</b><p>How do you "break in" to eBay to start selling if you've only purchased a few items and have very little feedback? Is anyone going to give you full value for the items you are selling or are buyers going to be dubious of the low feedback and bid low? Do you start with very low-priced cards and build up feedback under the theory that people will take a chance for $20 or $30 dollars but might not for a $500 card?

Archive
09-20-2007, 03:00 PM
Posted By: <b>Marc S.</b><p>but I, in addition to numerous others, have been burned significantly by Paypal's practices. There is no need to detail my experiences -- if you Google Paypal Sucks or anything along those lines, you will hear some horror stories.

Archive
09-20-2007, 03:03 PM
Posted By: <b>Jason L</b><p>I understand your point about listing something "as is" but why did you say to sell only graded cards?<br />What is it about selling raw cards that you don't endorse?

Archive
09-20-2007, 03:09 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>Nice pics, good clear description (doesn't have to be long), clear authenticity guarantee, accept paypal (paypal is convenient for the seller too!)<br /><br />In the future, many customers will be return costumers if give them what is described and ship in a timely fashion. 99.9 percent of complaints are when the item received is different (in a bad way) than what was described and/or shipping is horrible. Most buyers are normal people and forgiving if minor innocent errors are made. Few get their girdles in a bunch if shipping takes 7 instead of the expected 4 days. Can you believe it that, as a buyer, I don't even count the days until my package arrives?<br /><br />However, note than most buyers are pleased and note when a package is shipped fast as the wind. So if you can ship fast, you will get lots of brownie points from buyers.

Archive
09-20-2007, 03:15 PM
Posted By: <b>Matt</b><p>Once you complete a successful transaction, be open to selling again to that user off ebay - maybe with the invoice you send, ask the user if he would be interested in buying from you in the future, and add the username to a list. Then, before you post on ebay, send everyone the items that you have available. Selling off ebay will save the fees, plus the time consuming task of posting and the concern of not getting the price you're looking for.

Archive
09-20-2007, 03:20 PM
Posted By: <b>nbrazil</b><p>might reiterate what others have already stated:<br /><br />-7 day auction<br />-low starting price (i start mine at .99)<br />-accept at the minimum paypal, personal check and MO<br />-I wouldnt ship to any place besides US and Canada.<br />-Clear scans. If prewar, must do the back.<br />-Low S&H. <br />-Require insurance for potentially high priced items. Otherwise, leave it as optional.<br />-Clearly establish a refund policy.<br />-Use your block buyer tool to eliminate notoriously bad ebayers (do a search on this forum or on the PSA forum to get userids)<br /><br />

Archive
09-20-2007, 03:38 PM
Posted By: <b>Jim VB</b><p>I don't sell on Ebay, but when I do...<br /><br /><br />1. Move to Arkansas or Alabama.<br /> <br />2. Forget everything you ever learned since third grade English and Math.<br /><br />3. Don't bother with a scanner. Use a cheap, digital camera, preferably one with a BIG flash.<br /><br />4. Stand far away from the item and wiggle while you take the picture. The fuzzier the better. <br /><br />5. Don't specify shipping charges. Say "Shipping calculated after the auction closes!" Then gouge them. <br /><br />6. Don't take Paypal. That's too easy. Insist on cash! (Euros, even.) Whatever makes it harder for the customer. <br /><br />7. Be vague in all descriptions except for condition. They all look "MINT!!!" to you. <br /><br />8. Put some key words in your titles (e.g.- 1952 Topps Mantle, NY Yankees, 1933 Goudey Lajoie, etc.) This way your item will be caught in more keyword searches.<br /><br />9. Never use negative words like "reprint" or "common card". <br /><br />10. Use those words made up with symbols like "L@@K!!!" and "W@W!!!" Lots of exclamation points, too!!!!<br /><br />11. Don't respond to any emails. In fact, state in the listing "I'll be out of town until the day this item closes." This discourages needless communication.<br /> <br />12. Set up several Ebay ID's. Switch when your feedback gets bad. <br /><br />13. Move often. (Physically, pick up and move to a different address. Makes it harder to find you later.)<br /><br />14. Be sure to sell your wife's, husband's, girlfriend's or boyfriend's valuable cards at a terrific discount, just because you now hate them. <br /><br /><br />I could go on forever, but I think you get the idea. <br /><br /><br />Good luck!!!!!!<br /><br /><br />Jim VB<br />

Archive
09-20-2007, 04:11 PM
Posted By: <b>jeff Prillaman (cavaliercards)</b><p>My advice <br /><br />a) anything that has value list for 10 days -- two weekends of exposure as opposed to one - other stuff plan to end on Sunday or Monday evening - Saturday is a good night in the fall because you are competing with football on Sunday and Monday-- once Thanksgiving hits avoid Sat night due to Christmas parties and such. Avoid Thusday night for the most part. <br />b) sell worldwide -- don't freeze out buyers -- just factor in shipping costs and insurance -- <br />c) accept paypal -- many buyers will only go to auctions that accept paypal because of the convenience. You will make up that fee easily in increased bidders. (You might not accept paypal on something that is several thousand dollars or in that ballpark -- but in the $50-500 range you are cheating yourself.) Research shows anywhere between 5-11%.<br />d) If an item has a firmly established price offer a BIN approximately 10-15% above what you expect to get at auction. <br />e) If you list a BIN with an opening bid of 99 cents you are wasting your money -- someone comes along and bids the minimum and messes up the BIN. For something that routinely sells in the $100 range. Start the bidding at 59.95 with a BIN like 109.95. <br />f) But don't use a BIN -- just start stuff at .99 and let it ride -- don't put a reserve on the item unless it is rare and you need x dollars -- however if that is the case just list with a Fixed price and the best offer feature (go 20-30% over what you actually want) and be prepared for stupid offers. <br />But the best way is to start at 99 cents -- it the auction online world there is tons of <br />g) clean scans - clear terms - quick shipping and Communication<br />

Archive
09-20-2007, 04:12 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>I stopped taking Paypal a few years ago. It's far too easy for the buyer to scam sellers that take PayPal. I had it happen one too many times and finally stopped taking it. The last one was when a buyer refused insurance and his package arrived crushed. It had an old Warfield Theatre concert poster in it. I refused a refund because he did not insure the package. He filed a complaint with Paypal and I had the money taken from my account. During the whole complaint process, there was a never an opportunity for me to explain what happened, they just took his word that I sent him the post the way it arrived.<br /><br />As a buyer, I love it because I am absolutely protected, but as a seller, you are screwed if your customer files a complaint.<br /><br />Jay<br><br>The richest person is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least.

Archive
09-20-2007, 05:10 PM
Posted By: <b>jeff Prillaman (cavaliercards)</b><p>Do the math<br />Assume sales of 18500 per month<br />And assuming an 8% bump in Final bid price -- that like 20.00 vs 21.60 -- pretty common - I now take in approximately 20000 instead of the 18.5<br /><br />less paypal fees of approximately 600 - I am ahead of the game 900<br /><br />and so I get scammed on a 200.00 sale -- I'm still ahead -- 700.00 <br />yes it happens -- but it is like shrinkage at any retail level -- you build it into your business model and make the proper decision. <br /><br />Assuming a 10% premium for accepting paypal -- and believe me it is there --and assuming I get scammed on $500 worth of product -- I am still ahead approximately $750<br /><br />yes it hurts when you get scammed - it happens -- but if you want to improve your bottom line - take paypal