PDA

View Full Version : Grading -- corner dings

Archive
09-05-2007, 06:43 PM
Posted By: <b>David R</b><p>Any opinions on whether the major grading companies differ in how they treat corner dings? (I know for example that SGC is very tough on any paper loss.) With cards I've sent to SGC that are crease-free and have three sharp corners but a ding on the fourth corner, they usually knock them down to a 30 or 40. But I've seen other cards with four symetrically worn and rounded corners get the same or sometimes better grades. I've often thought (tongue in check): why not just sand off all the corners symetrically, that would get rid of the one ding and may get me a higher grade - it certainly doesn't seem to hurt the grade although it seems like it should. <br /><br />David R.

Archive
09-06-2007, 09:14 AM
Posted By: <b>T206Collector</b><p>If you show me an SGC 40 (let alone a 30) with a corner ding, I'd bet that there is a wrinkle, spot of paper loss or glue that you're missing. Corner dings and rounded corners are, in my experience, treated similarly by SGC. <br /><br />Now, if your definition of "ding" includes a corner crease, that would be another explanation.<br />

Archive
09-07-2007, 06:13 PM
Posted By: <b>Gilbert Maines</b><p>Stick with PSA or SGC, they are easiest to crack out.