PDA

View Full Version : Saw this on the SABR deadball digest

Archive
09-05-2007, 05:37 AM
Posted By: <b>Rich Klein</b><p>Please note this is not my research<br /><br />After corresponding with a few people on this, it was suggested that there may be enough interest in this to merit posting it.<br /><br />The 1911 T205 card labeled "Wilbur Goode" (sic) was clearly made from the Paul Thompson photo in the 1911 Spalding guide, page 77, there labeled only as "Goode", no first name given. Comparison with any of several accessible Wilbur Good photos (including contemporary newspaper photos) shows that this is definitely not Wilbur Good. Comparison between the Thompson photo and a June 1910 Boston Globe photo of Ralph Good yields an obvious match. Hence the T205 card is Ralph Good, not Wilbur Good (both members of 1910 Bos NL).<br /><br />Regards<br />Rich<br /><br />Edited to change spelling

Archive
09-05-2007, 06:31 AM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>I just flipped through my 1911 Spalding Guide and it appears that dozens of the T205's were drawn from those images. The players were probably photographed sometime during the 1910 season, and those portraits were the models the T205 artists used to make the cards. If you have a 1911 guide, take a look.

Archive
09-05-2007, 07:25 AM
Posted By: <b>Frank Wakefield</b><p>Good stuff, guys. Those old guides are invaluable!