PDA

View Full Version : Something seems weird about this auction...

Archive
08-24-2007, 07:07 AM
Posted By: <b>Harrison</b><p>Was looking for T206's on ebay and came across this lot..<br /><br /><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/tobacco-topps-bubble-gum-cards-t206-mickey-mantle-lot_W0QQitemZ190143782408QQihZ009QQcategoryZ636QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://cgi.ebay.com/tobacco-topps-bubble-gum-cards-t206-mickey-mantle-lot_W0QQitemZ190143782408QQihZ009QQcategoryZ636QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem</a><br /><br />The seller just joined ebay in July and sold one item. Now the odd part is that he is from WI, the buyer is also from WI...but I found it a bit fishy that his first item sold was to someone in his own state. I checked out his other items for sale right now, they don't seem like they are anything that would bring in a lot of money like this auction could.<br /><br />Thanks for the help.<br /><br />-Harrison

Archive
08-24-2007, 07:42 AM
Posted By: <b>T206Collector</b><p>Just for clarity purposes, I sign in as T206Collector -- you signed in as T-206Collector. I just wanted to be clear that I'm a different person...<br /><br />Second, you should be careful to out pending auctions. Any hope that you may have had getting a good deal on a lot like this evaporates when you post a link to it on this board. If you find something that you think may be great but posted poorly, you ought not to out the auction here. It will also annoy anyone else who may have also found it.<br /><br />Third, looks shady in terms of feedback and how the cards were photographed/listed. You just never know with something like this. <br /><br />

Archive
08-24-2007, 07:50 AM
Posted By: <b>Harrison</b><p>Last time I didn't show the auction, people told me that I might as well show it because everyone knows about the regulary listed auctions on this site. Also, it wasn't poorly listed so I thought everyone would know about it. Also...if I annoyed anyone by posting this listing, I am sincerely sorry.<br /><br />Thanks for the help.<br /><br />-Harrison

Archive
08-24-2007, 11:51 AM
Posted By: <b>T206Collector</b><p>I just think that a post like this can't actually help you because:<br /><br />a) People chime in that they think this auction is the real deal, thus encouraging you to bid but also driving up prices for you; or<br /><br />b) People chime in that they think the auction is a scam, thus encouraging you not to bid.<br /><br />When you make a post like this, and uncover support for the real deal that makes you want to bid, you have to be comfortable with the rise in price that will come along with the interest generated by your post.<br /><br />In my opinion, these kinds of auctions are a test of your own threshold to bid against the warning signs here (of which there are a few).<br /><br />In most cases on ebay, if it's too good to be true, it is. And, unfortunately, it is those few cases -- lottery-like-odds few -- that keep people bidding on what turns out to be a scam.<br />

Archive
08-24-2007, 11:52 AM
Posted By: <b>T206Collector</b><p>But it appears that the seller ended his listing early to sell his cards off-line.<br /><br />So we may never know, unless that seller was someone who read your initial post and who cares to share with us whether he got good cards here and for what price.

Archive
08-24-2007, 01:51 PM
Posted By: <b>dennis</b><p>also when posting an active auction ,you may be the seller just trying to get free add space,but i do not think this is the case here.

Archive
08-24-2007, 02:03 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>I assure that is my first thought on every single post like this. Just like the '52 "find" recently they are judgement calls. I would rather let something go than censor it....to a point. All regular board members know the rules and I am less lenient with us than a new person....I agree with you on this one....

Archive
08-24-2007, 02:25 PM
Posted By: <b>Harrison</b><p>that isnt my ebay account...my ebay account is cardmen22.