PDA

View Full Version : E90-1 Cards are Rare In Comparison to T-206 But...

Archive
08-18-2007, 04:04 PM
Posted By: <b>peter chao</b><p>how rare are they in comparision to other E cards?<br /><br />Peter C.

Archive
08-18-2007, 04:53 PM
Posted By: <b>Ted Zanidakis</b><p>We have already had several E90-1 threads.<br />Here is one of the more recent and informative ones.....<br /><br />TED Z<br /><br /><a href="http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/message/1143057099/Let%27s+Talk+E90-1....toughest+Candy+card+set" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/message/1143057099/Let%27s+Talk+E90-1....toughest+Candy+card+set</a>+-

Archive
08-18-2007, 05:01 PM
Posted By: <b>peter chao</b><p>Ted, <br /><br />Thanks for the link.<br /><br />Peter C.

Archive
08-18-2007, 05:04 PM
Posted By: <b>Tony Andrea</b><p>Peter -<br />My opinion is, what makes this set tough to complete is the number of cards in the set.<br />Most of the other "E" sets are small in comparison with 30 to 50 cards needed for completion.<br />In the E90-1 set there's 120 cards with roughly 25% of them falling into the tough to find range,<br />especially in mid to high grade. <br /><p>Tony<br />

Archive
08-18-2007, 06:02 PM
Posted By: <b>peter chao</b><p>The E90-1 seems like too big a project to attack, I may try to obtain just a few to broaden my collection.<br /><br />Peter C.

Archive
08-19-2007, 08:42 PM
Posted By: <b>Tony Andrea</b><p>Hey Peter,<br />Ive been having problems with my email. I sent you one yesterday<br />regarding some E90-1 dupes I have. Did you receive it successfully?<br />Let me know.<br />Thanks, Tony<br />

Archive
08-20-2007, 07:56 AM
Posted By: <b>Ted Zanidakis</b><p>The E90-1 set is indeed a challenge....but, certainly no comparison to a T206 set. Just, the numbers in the size of these sets,<br /> tell us this; but, more significant are the "big 6" in the T206 set.<br /><br />This American Caramel set, in my opinion, was issued just prior to the 1st series of the T206 cards, and is a landmark issue. If <br />you want to be a set collector of a major vintage issue, this set is a fun one. Approx. 90 - 100 cards in this set are quite avail-<br />able. However, you'll have a tough time finding the cards issued in the last series....such as Clark (Pitt), Duffy, Keeler (Giants), <br />Mitchell (Cinc), Speaker, Bill Sweeney, Cy Young (Clev), etc.<br /><br /> And although Joe Jackson was issued in the 1st series, his current price has made his card almost unattainable.<br /><br />TED Z <br /><br />

Archive
08-21-2007, 11:49 AM
Posted By: <b>Bob</b><p>Although my set lacks Joe Jackson, I found the toughest card in the set to be David Shean. That is strange because I see numerous Dockmans and E101 and E102s with the identical pose, but E90-1 Sheans are scarce as hen's teeth.

Archive
08-21-2007, 12:07 PM
Posted By: <b>Tony Andrea</b><p>Hi TBob-<br />I agree. I have a Psa-2 Shean in my set and had to pay<br />through the nose through it. Definitely as difficult as <br />you state and I haven't had a chance on another since.<br />Glad I grabbed it when I did.<br /><p>Tony

Archive
08-21-2007, 12:40 PM
Posted By: <b>Dave</b><p>I agree with most that the E90-1 set is fairly difficut to complete. I also think the E92 Dockmans are a tough one to finish as well. I collected these for several years and found some of the commons to be extremely tough to find Bemis, Miller, Schlei to name some.

Archive
08-21-2007, 02:28 PM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>Ed Walsh is a real tough E90-1.

Archive
08-21-2007, 08:09 PM
Posted By: <b>Bob</b><p>I agree Barry. He seems to be tough in a lot of sets for some reason E90-1 and E98 come immediately to mind. I figure his being a HOFer might account for a little of that. I never have understood why Shean is so frigging tough. Yes, maybe he is in the short-printed group or latter year printed group, or whatever, but still he is the #1 killer in the E90-1 set. If you can find one, grab it, in any condition.

Archive
08-22-2007, 01:01 PM
Posted By: <b>Ted Zanidakis</b><p>Dave Shean was one of the last cards I acquired for my set. He is one of the cards in this set that has a double "whammy". First,<br /> being a Boston player and 2nd is the fact that he was traded later in 1909; and therefore, appeared in the last (tough) series.<br /><br />In a prior thread on this set, it was pointed out that many of the Boston players were not issued until the last series of 20-30 cards.<br />Some of the these Boston subjects that come to mind are Graham, Hall, Karger, Shean, Stahl and especially Speaker and Bill Sweeney.<br /><br />E90-1 Joe Jackson<br /><br />Onto the subject of the Joe Jax in this set. This card, in my opinion, has become one of the most overpriced cards in the hobby.<br /> It was issued in the 1st series of the E90-1 release; and therefore, quite available.. And, as recently as 12 years ago, you could buy <br />this card for about $100-200 for a nice example. Then, the hype on Joe Jax started with at least two BB movies, and combine that with<br /> the advent of ebay, the price on this card has skyrocketed beyond the reach of most true collectors and into the "investment class".<br /><br />I bought this card in Vg-Ex (or Ex) condition in the late '80s for $60. It was considered an "unrecognizable" card of Joe Jax, and there<br /> was no real interest in it.<br /><br />TED Z

Archive
08-22-2007, 01:15 PM
Posted By: <b>Dave</b><p> I agree with Ted about the Boston players listed. All the names he listed are fairly tough to find on the internet or at shows these days. I think the Sweeney card is much scarcer than most people realize also. I rarely see it for sale these days. <br /> I bought my Jackson in 1993 for $100 plus tax from the local card shop. He was so pleased when I came in and bought it.....he said he never thought he would sell the card. My brother got his on Teletrade for about $180 I think. Both would be considered VG by todays standards. I've never really understood what drives the price on this particular card either. Every collector of E cards I know in Southern Ohio has one, and some have multiple copies.