PDA

View Full Version : T206 O'Hara

Archive
08-13-2007, 11:38 PM
Posted By: <b>CN</b><p> Several months ago a SGC 10 sold on E-Bay for about $2350. Today one graded the same sold for $1192. Is the market for the rare T-206 cards ie.O,hara,Demmitt, Magie, and a few of the others softening or do you think this is an aberration and perhaps people were tapped out because of the national and maybe possible not spending as much in the short term with an eye towards whats happening on Wall st. It seems like cards in the 50-70 range are still skyrocketing especially HOFER's and SLers.CN

Archive
08-13-2007, 11:49 PM
Posted By: <b>John</b><p>Much rougher card, not quite as nice an eye appeal, my guess for the swing in price.

Archive
08-14-2007, 12:03 AM
Posted By: <b>Justin</b><p>I think that has something to do with it, but I also think it's a card that appears so infrequently that people don't really have a consistent track record for what to it's worth. You can use previous auctions and sales as a gauge, but with such a small sample size the fluctation in price is much greater than for a more common card.

Archive
08-14-2007, 12:50 AM
Posted By: <b>JMPKCP</b><p>It was a PSA 1 I bought for $2350, not SGC 10. And the SGC 10 that was offered would likely have graded Authentic in a PSA slab, thus the price difference.<br /><br />Joe

Archive
08-14-2007, 08:06 AM
Posted By: <b>Dave S</b><p>Not so Joe...the card was supposedly broken out of a PSA 1 holder by a previous (and honest) owner who collects raw. Blame the typical ups and downs of the hobby...this dumb-ass (think I'm allowed to call myself?) seller turned down $1525 two weeks ago on a BIN/Best Offer..

Archive
08-14-2007, 09:12 AM
Posted By: <b>CN</b><p> I know this is changing the subject slightly but why would the PSA1 likely be graded as an SGC A? Is the card not gradable by SGC standards? CN

Archive
08-14-2007, 11:48 AM
Posted By: <b>JimB</b><p>Not having seen either of the cards, I would guess the variance in price could have a lot to do with eye-appeal since PSA/SGC 1s can vary greatly in eye appeal.<br />JimB

Archive
08-14-2007, 06:34 PM
Posted By: <b>Scot Reader</b><p><br />I agree that the price differential arises from the large variability in the quality of PSA 1s.<br /><br />PSA should have distinct grades for fair and poor, which would largely remedy this problem.<br /><br />PSA could do this and still maintain the 1 - 10 scale if only they would get rid of the artificial gem mint designation.<br /><br />I'm not holding my breath.<br /><br />

Archive
08-14-2007, 06:40 PM
Posted By: <b>Eric</b><p>I think the main reason the SGC 10 yesterday went for "so little" was because the seller only accepted check or money order. Had the seller accepted paypal (with the option of paying with credit card), I think the card would have gone for a lot more. <br /><br />Most buyers don't have the cash up front to put on a card like this.

Archive
08-14-2007, 07:11 PM
Posted By: <b>Frank Wakefield</b><p>I agree with Eric's observation about Paypal. That might not be the main reason, but it is a significant one. I think Paypal auctions go for 5 to 10 per cent more, generally. And maybe more on expensive items.

Archive
08-14-2007, 10:41 PM
Posted By: <b>CN</b><p> I didn,t even realize the paypal aspect of the auction but from my own experience when I see an auction w/o paypal I either stay away or bid much lower. CN