PDA

View Full Version : Bonds Guilty?

Archive
08-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Posted By: <b>Bobby Binder</b><p>We all assume that Bonds is guilty as well as the Commisioner. Everyone is waiting for conclusive evidence to put the hammer down on him. Once this happens and it is only a question of time. What happens next, do they just strike all of his statistics from the record books as if he never existed? Like track and field did to Ben Johnson from Canada. Or do they put a notation by his name like they did to Roger Maris for so many years.

Archive
08-10-2007, 05:09 PM
Posted By: <b>Justin</b><p>I don't think anything happens, and I have serious doubts that anything is forthcoming in regards to "hard" evidence. If read Game of Shadows it becomes clear that he did steroids, but I don't see any lasting punishment coming from it, because he already spoke in front of a grand jury, and Bud Selig really doesn't have the sack to ban him or punish him.<br /><br />The only potential consequence is he probably won't get in the hall of fame right away or maybe not at all. But Barry won't face any legal repurcussions, and really what would be the point of banning him after the record is broken.<br /><br />

Archive
08-10-2007, 05:17 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Bretta</b><p>There was never officially an asterisk next to Maris' name in the record books...there were just two records. One for a 162 game season and one for a 154 game season. The only problem with that was they didn't separate the other statistical records in the book. I think it was Fay Vincent who changed it so there was only one record.

Archive
08-10-2007, 05:32 PM
Posted By: <b>Jeff Lichtman</b><p>Bonds's cheating will not result in the erasing of his records; after all, plenty of guys cheated.