PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any tips for buying raw T206 online?

Archive
08-08-2007, 06:09 PM
Posted By: <b>David</b><p>I'm just starting my T206 collection. I really like the SGC holders and I want my entire set in an SGC holder. That being said, it's going to make the monster that much harder if I only buy SGC graded. I don't mind buying raw and submitting; however, I'm nervous about trimming and non authentic cards.<br /><br />Does anyone have any tips for buying raw online? Obviously I should buy from respectable dealers. Is there anything in the scans I should be conscience of? Also, if anyone could suggest a dealer on eBay, that would be great.<br /><br />Thanks.

Archive
08-08-2007, 06:39 PM
Posted By: <b>identify7</b><p>The following is excerpted from David Rudd Cycleback's "Judging the Authenticity of Early Baseball Cards" which although copywrited, is posted on the internet, and therefore, I conclude is in the public domain.<br /><br />Chapter 2: Essential tips for beginning collectors<br /><br />1) Start by knowing that there are reprints, counterfeits, fakes and scams out there.<br /><br />5) Realize that novices in any area of collecting are more likely to overestimate, rather than underestimate, the value of items they own or are about to buy.<br /><br />6) Get second opinions and seek advise when needed.<br /><br />7) Find out if a card grader is reputable before you purchase the graded card.<br /><br />10) Avoid private eBay auctions.<br /><br /> <br /><br />Now clearly, the outline shown above is not the author's work in its entirety. That is because I am not as good at typing as I am at being lazy. But don't you be lazy too. Find Cycleback's writings on this subject on the internet and begin absorbing everything he states. I still am in the process of doing that.<br /><br />The following are notes from my early eBay experiences.<br /><br />At first I could not recognize a fake card on eBay. As it turned out, that was ok, because all that you have to do is recognize dangerous situations and avoid them. <br /><br />Items 7 & 10 above are two primary dangers. <br /><br />Another is a seller who either has limited experience in the sale of pre-war cards, or has had negative input on his transactions. In general, if a seller has less than a 99.5% positive rating, avoid his auctions. Similarly, if the seller almost never sells pre-war cards, he probably can not tell a real one from a fake either, and he could unknowingly sell you a fake.<br /><br />Some sellers are deliberately deceptive. Any auction in which the card is not clearly shown, and the seller has reasons why he can not provide a better scan - are auctions to avoid.<br /><br />If the seller is not certain that the card is real, believe him. Because he is certain that it is fake. And so should you be - every time.<br /><br />There is more, much more. But the basics described here are: do not attempt to identify fake cards until you have seen enough. In the interim, evaluate the situation. And if it looks risky, then avoid it. And when you inquire about a second opinion, don't ask your friend who really doesn't know much more than you do. Come here! Your question will not be an interruption of the important posting which we do. We will be more than happy to accomodate any uncertainty which you have. We have all been down this road, and really, we are all still going down it.<br />

Archive
08-08-2007, 07:12 PM
Posted By: <b>Jimmy</b><p>finding good cards on eBay can be tough at times, try dealer sites that have nice clean cards - the prices maybe a bit higher - but at least most of them have accurate grades - also groups of T206 cards from Auction Houses would be a good start. Get a wants list and post it to the B/S/T or create a website for your list<br /><br />Take Care<br /><br />Jimmy

Archive
08-08-2007, 08:27 PM
Posted By: <b>barry arnold</b><p>Much effort and thought has obviously gone into the advice given to you above.<br />I simply want to welcome you to the wonderful world of T206s.<br />You'll love the hobby and the colleagues who will help you along the way.<br />Welcome aboard.<br />And remember: The Monster will want you to quit. Don't listen to it.<br /><br />all the best,<br />barry

Archive
08-08-2007, 08:33 PM
Posted By: <b>Zach S.</b><p>I'm sure that if you had any doubts about an online purchase that any of the T206 savvy members of this forum would gladly help you. Due to the fact that it would obviously be a live auction, I would recommend that you email someone privately to avoid upsetting other potential bidders. Until you feel more comfortable judging authenticity and condition use the knowledge available right here.<br /><br />Regards and good luck, <br />Zach S.

Archive
08-08-2007, 09:16 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>If you own and look at enough T206s (including online pics), most reprints are easy to spot. If you're buying low grade commons, it's not a big deal as you're not risking much money. If the seller provides nice pics, guarantees the authenticity and has good feedback, you're probably okay. Obviously most care is needed when buying the expensive and supposedly high grade cards, as more money is involved and a seller's grading standard may not match yours or the grading companies'.<br /><br />If you buy a few cheapo cards from a seller and like the product and service, this may be a person you buy the expensive cards from later. Many favorite and trusted dealers are discovered by first buying one inexpensive card.

Archive
08-08-2007, 10:03 PM
Posted By: <b>CN</b><p> The monster will want you to quit, I wish you luck CN

Archive
08-09-2007, 07:13 AM
Posted By: <b>David</b><p>I've been on many message boards where newbies get trashed for asking basic questions. This place is a refreshing change. I've been collecting baseball cards off and on for 27 years, but the lottery aspect that's taking over the hobby the last 15 years or so has really pushed me away. <br /><br />I got the idea to pick up as many T206s as I can, and I'm enjoying the research on the set as much as anything. When you sit back and realize what has happened in the last 100 years in the world, and that the card predates it, it's really kind of cool. It's almost like each common is a piece of history in a way. Bought my first one a few weeks ago from a board member, and I'm ready for more. Thanks again!!