PDA

View Full Version : "Cut Short"

Archive
08-04-2007, 01:54 PM
Posted By: <b>Mark</b><p>I have spoken at length with Mark Macrae about D/E/T cards that were cut short; which he indicates did happen at the factory. As collector's we agree that some T cards are acceptable as cut short, but what about E's or D's.<br /><br />Also, Mark indicated that cards cut short - at the factory (time of printing) should have consistent patination throughout; especially on the reverse.<br /><br />What are your opinions?<br /><br />I am contemplating two purchases, from reputable dealers - that describe the cards as "cut short", but wonder if they could have been trimmed - even twenty or thirty years ago.<br /><br />Opinions...please?<br /><br />Thanks in Advance,<br /><br />Mark

Archive
08-04-2007, 07:46 PM
Posted By: <b>Gilbert Maines</b><p>I think that reputable dealers are an underutilized and not fully appreciated asset to the collector. And I believe that if you discuss with them the physical differences between an aftermarket cut and one made in the factory including factors which K. Saucier has pointed out, such as smoothness, color, and evenness, and perhaps other characteristics; they may be willing to take a closer look at the card for you. Particularly if you make the pot a little sweeter for them, afterall, their expertise is of value.<br /><br />And with regard to what cards collectors accept as cut short, it is my understanding that at this time the only opinions which count in this hobby are those of the grading companies. At a later date things may be different, but I would not bet on Mark being incorrect in his assessment. Afterall, why would tobbacco companies have exclusivity on inaccurate factory cuts?

Archive
08-05-2007, 05:55 AM
Posted By: <b>Mark</b><p>Thanks for your input Gil.<br /><br />That I can remember, Lipset indicated size variance on T207's.<br /><br />T205 vary and so do T206 American Beauty.<br /><br />Other Opinions?<br /><br />Mark

Archive
08-05-2007, 10:23 AM
Posted By: <b>brian</b><p>the m116 sporting life vary greatly in size also. I have a few of them in PSA slabs graded favorably that have very narrow white borders and a couple others with monstrous borders that i sent in that PSA rejected as "oversized will not fit properly within slab rails". I read an article years ago that said they were factory cut at all different sizes.

Archive
08-05-2007, 12:03 PM
Posted By: <b>JimB</b><p>It is definately the case that there were size variations in several E sets that I am most familiar with, like E93, that took place at the factory.<br />JimB

Archive
08-07-2007, 07:44 PM
Posted By: <b>Mark</b><p>come'on guys...please chime in...<br /><br />this should concern most, if not, all of us...<br /><br />Mark

Archive
08-07-2007, 08:02 PM
Posted By: <b>Ken McMillan</b><p>I have 9 T207 cards and it seems that some are cut short like at a factory. 5 different cards from 5 different sources are the same size and 4 are just slightly (only by fractions) larger. I would think that if this were trimming, the 5 cards would all be different sizes. I have sent them in for grading, so SGC will be the judge. 2 of the cards have been in my posession for 15 years. How often were cards trimmed 15 years ago? Other's thoughts?<br /><br />Ken

Archive
08-07-2007, 09:16 PM
Posted By: <b>Paul S</b><p>I concur with JimB about the original factory size variances on the E-s, in this case E90-1. I have the same several dozen beaters, since about 69-70, bought from a "reputable" dealer. I sincerely doubt they were "cut" short, since there is no prettying-up of the card on the shorter ones, they just all look the same, wear wise, regardless of size. In fact, some are long. A "correct" size would be an arbitrary decision, I'd have to take an average. Hope this helps.