PDA

View Full Version : T-206 O'Hara/Demmitt and Drum question (revisited)

Archive
08-03-2007, 07:50 PM
Posted By: <b>Mike (18colt)</b><p>Good evening, all.<br /><br />Back in late October 2003, I posted an inquiry regarding the desirability of a T-206 O'Hara or Demmitt vs. a Drum back common T-206.<br /><br />Original Post: <a href="http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/message/1067370943/" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/message/1067370943/</a><br /><br />Anyway, here is my question:<br /><br />If you had the choice, today (not in 2003), considering all we may have learned here on the board in the last 4 years, which would you choose, assuming that you could acquire one and only one of these, and you could not eliminate an option because you already owned one:<br /><br />[a] T-206 Demmitt, St. Louis<br /><br />[b] T-206 O'Hara, St. Louis<br /><br />[c] T-206 common player with Drum reverse<br /><br />For the purposes of this question, all cards are in the same condition (all raw or all graded by the same company in the same grade), same eye appeal, etc., only thing being different being the person on the front and the brand on the reverse. In fact, let's say that they'd all be in beater condition raw or "A" from SGC/PSA or even a PSA 1/SGC 10 (assume the PSA 1 would cross to an SGC 10, meaning the "Fair-Poor" grade is in the "Poor" range and not the "Fair" range).<br /><br />Also curious if we think the counts considered in the original post by those who responded are still accurate today.<br /><br />Thanks in advance.<br /><br />Mike (18colt)<br /><br />Disclaimer: I am not selling or looking to buy these cards at this time. In 2003, at the time of my post, I was almost able to make a trade whereby I could acquire one of the 3 options above in exchange for one of the other 3 options above. The trade fell through, and one of those 3 options is still missing from my collection of T-206s today.

Archive
08-03-2007, 08:18 PM
Posted By: <b>MVSNYC</b><p>well, i think the pricing would all be pretty similiar for poor condition examples ($1300-1600)...<br /><br />i used to own a PSA 3 demmitt & PSA 2 o'hara...<br /><br />and i currently have a PSA 4 DRUM.<br /><br />my preference the DRUM...so tuff.

Archive
08-03-2007, 08:19 PM
Posted By: <b>Marc S.</b><p>in a heartbeat. The other two are easy enough to obtain if you are willing to shell out the cash. Although they are significant T-206 rarities, there is a half dozen or more of each that transact each year.<br /><br />Drums -- much harder to find overall.<br />

Archive
08-03-2007, 08:22 PM
Posted By: <b>peter ullman</b><p>I've owned the o'hara and a drum...never the demmitt. I'd choose the drum!<br /><br />pete ullman

Archive
08-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Posted By: <b>Ray Piskadlo</b><p>Drum!

Archive
08-03-2007, 08:26 PM
Posted By: <b>MVSNYC</b><p>good comparision actually, because they all jump up exponentially in price, as you go up each grade...1,2,3,4, etc...once you start climbing in condition, the prices get crazy for ALL 3 of them.

Archive
08-03-2007, 08:30 PM
Posted By: <b>T206Collector</b><p>Big deal.<br /><br />I'd take Demmitt or O'Hara any day (and I have, did and still do).<br /><br />Many more people collect T206 fronts than backs. And you need the Demmitt and O'Hara.<br /><br />

Archive
08-03-2007, 08:30 PM
Posted By: <b>Scot Reader</b><p><br />This is an interesting question. On the one hand, the Drum is much scarcer. On the other hand, it is a back rarity whereas the Demmitt and O'Hara are front rarities--and T206 fronts are collected more than backs. I would probably go against the grain here and take the Demmitt or O'Hara.

Archive
08-03-2007, 08:31 PM
Posted By: <b>Scot Reader</b><p><br />Paul, I guess you beat me to the ENTER key by a few seconds. Scot

Archive
08-03-2007, 08:41 PM
Posted By: <b>Dave F</b><p>Drum.

Archive
08-03-2007, 08:43 PM
Posted By: <b>peter ullman</b><p>the demmitt and o'hara may be fronts...but they're little itty bitty variations whereas the drum back is an island!<br /><br />pete ullman

Archive
08-03-2007, 08:44 PM
Posted By: <b>Joe Jones</b><p>I would take the drum, especially if it was a Detroiter.

Archive
08-04-2007, 12:11 AM
Posted By: <b>John</b><p>“Although they are significant T-206 rarities, there is a half dozen or more of each that transact each year. Drums -- much harder to find overall.”<br /><br /><br />I would disagree somewhat, while they are traded many are the same few cards that change hands. And while Drum is very hard, Demmitt and O’Hara will always be more sought after by collectors in the long run IMO. Plus the cards of Demmitt and O'Hara appeal to a wider spectrum of collectors set collectors and rarity collectors both. I would also add that high grade examples of Demmitt and O’Hara (4, 5, 6 etc.) would be much more valuable than that of a high grade Drum example with a common front and harder to find IMO. I’ve seen a few very nice clean Drum cards over the past few years but haven’t seen to many really nice Demmitt and O’Hara’s short of the usual 1's, 2's and the occasional 3's.<br /><br />Just my 2 cents….<br /><br />

Archive
08-04-2007, 05:30 AM
Posted By: <b>MVSNYC</b><p>John-<br /><br />haven't heard from you, call me to catch-up.<br /><br />MS

Archive
08-04-2007, 06:57 AM
Posted By: <b>John</b><p>Mike,<br /><br />Will do, been running around like crazy! Talk with you this week or over the weekend.<br /><br />John

Archive
08-04-2007, 09:31 AM
Posted By: <b>andy becker</b><p>it was me.....<br />the o'hara that mike and i discussed was very well worn, but a whole card.<br />the drums that i was offered (i had my choice of two) were both tacked to a wall at some point and instead of just having a pinhole, they were "yanked" off the wall creating a "divot".....whereas about 10% of the cards were missing. <br />actually, i do regret not picking up one of the drums.....<br />mike, i do have a demmitt stl that i would trade for one of the drums if that is still out there. need demmitt?

Archive
08-04-2007, 11:37 AM
Posted By: <b>JimB</b><p>Great question. To me it is about a toss-up. It would depend on which I need/want at the time. There are probably roughly equal numbers of each around.<br />JimB

Archive
08-04-2007, 12:19 PM
Posted By: <b>Darren</b><p>the drum.

Archive
08-04-2007, 01:55 PM
Posted By: <b>paulstratton</b><p>If it was between a "common" drum and either the O'hara/Demmitt, I would choose the O'Hara/Demmitt. If it was a HOF'er with a Drum, I would take the Drum.