PDA

View Full Version : Some advice needed on pursuing the Dockman set!

Archive
07-27-2007, 01:29 PM
Posted By: <b>Jonathan</b><p>I started this one a little while ago, but could you some advice: How should I go about completing it? What is the hardest to find card in the set? About how much $ should I set aside to pursue lower grade copes? Any help would be great!

Archive
07-28-2007, 12:15 PM
Posted By: <b>Brian McQueen</b><p><br />Jonathan,<br /><br />The nice thing about this set is that the cards should be relatively easy for you to pick up on the whole. The two Wagners and the Matty are exceedingly popular but should be obtainable for under a grand apiece. Fortunately, there’s no Cobb in the set so you don’t have that one to worry about. I think the Young is a bit tougher so if you can find that one or any of those others I just mentioned for a good price, go ahead and pick them up just so you have them out of the way. I’d keep a close eye on Ebay for most of the commons. You should be able to score quite a few of them that way. Maybe even as low as $15-20 a pop for raw lowgrade examples. As far as tougher cards go, it’s the Dockman set, so nothing is truly scarce I don’t believe, but I think the Young and possibly the Seigle are amongst the cards that come around a little less often than the others. <br /><br />To start off, you might want to throw a post up in our BST section that you're looking for some e92s if you haven't already. Maybe someone would have a few to get you started that you can purchase for a nice price. Whenever I start a new set, I like to have a good group right at the beginning to work with but that's just me. <br /><br />Hope that helps get you started….<br />

Archive
07-28-2007, 02:56 PM
Posted By: <b>Jonathan</b><p>Thanks alot! I have already worked out a deal for a SGC10 Matty so I think I have a pretty good start. Is the Lajoie hard to obtain?

Archive
07-28-2007, 04:18 PM
Posted By: <b>Andy Cook</b><p>When I put this set together, by far the most difficult card to find was the Cy Young. The other hofers were much easier for me in comparison.<br /><br />Andy

Archive
07-29-2007, 09:18 AM
Posted By: <b>Dan Koteles</b><p>I disagree that these will be easy .I for one like the DOckman writing on the back , but many cards will be tough to find. A couple of years back you mave have seen a few here and there. Most of any I seen recent were beat up .<br /><br />however<br />Good luck

Archive
07-29-2007, 09:58 AM
Posted By: <b>Kelly</b><p>I would also have to respectfully dissagree with the prior post that this set will be "relatively easy". Yes, they do come up on ebay relatively often, but condition is usually not good (Major creases, stains, and paper loss, etc.). If you are wanting to assemble a set in Fair-low VG , then ebay would be a great place to start. Cards in VG-EX (PSA 4, SGC 50) and up are not easy to find and when they do there is a great amount of competition to win them at auction and $15-20 as prior mentioned just won't get it. So, I guess it depends on your condition goal for assembling the set.<br /><br />I have been trying to assemble a set since 2000 when I won a lot of 20 different. Almost 8 years later I still need 2 (Wagner throwing and Lajoie). I look almost everyday on Ebay and search all major auctions for cards I need, so the incompletion of this set is not for lack of effort. I have been the under bidder on these cards several times. The cards I have found most difficult to find were Crawford, Seigle, Kleinow, and O'Hara. My set is split between SGC and PSA. They are both under the registries on each site under the set name Marathon E if you would like to see.<br /><br />Good luck with your efforts on pursuing this set, It will be time well spent. It is a great set to view and own.<br />

Archive
07-29-2007, 10:16 AM
Posted By: <b>Frank Wakefield</b><p>A Dockman set would be difficult to complete, but can be done. The cost of certain cards would be a deterrent to some collectors. Some of the cards don't appear available very often, so a collector would need a bit of patience. And condition could be a barrier, putting together "a" set would be less difficult than putting together a set that of cards in Excellent condition. <br /><br />Your goal can be accomplished. But it isn't a task that could be done in 2 months with a pile of money and access to eBay.<br /><br />Frank.

Archive
07-29-2007, 11:14 AM
Posted By: <b>Peter Thomas</b><p>Kelly, I have about 20 duplicate dockman's. I am planing to take dups to national for sale or trade. I think I have a Lajoie dup. If you want me to look before I go to national, let me know.<br /><br />Peter

Archive
07-29-2007, 11:42 AM
Posted By: <b>Kelly</b><p>Thanks peter.<br /><br />Please email me at<br />kelholt@yahoo.com<br /><br />I don't know your email.