PDA

View Full Version : 1929 world series home video cubs/a's

Archive
07-20-2007, 04:35 AM
Posted By: <b>dennis</b><p><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U63LW6wV3no" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U63LW6wV3no</a>

Archive
07-20-2007, 06:28 AM
Posted By: <b>Mark Lutz</b><p>That's fantastic. Isn't that Howard Ehmke (throwing sidearmed) pitching for the A's? Historical footage! You can see Hornsby playing second. Great.

Archive
07-20-2007, 07:46 AM
Posted By: <b>Mike</b><p>If only these people knew what was headed their way in about 3 weeks...yikes. Dontcha' wish you could back and tell some of them. They would have thought you were nuts....But the US was flying high ....what goes up, must come down. Beautiful shot of Old Chicago. I love the street scenes.

Archive
07-20-2007, 08:09 AM
Posted By: <b>Mark L</b><p>I also think that the public address announcer is cool.

Archive
07-20-2007, 10:37 AM
Posted By: <b>Ken W.</b><p>Hey Guys,<br />I saw this video a few weeks ago, and found this analysis of it on some YouTube watch website. Apparently, this film is a splice from films of TWO games: The 1929 series AND a game on Flag Day in 1930. See below:<br /><br />The video, which was shot on a home movie camera, is amazing -check it out. The big black circle English is referring to isn't easy to spot, but you can see it as a dark splotch on the backs of some jerseys at the 2:49, 3:09, and 3:14 marks of the video.<br /><br />I didn't know what to make of this, so I consulted longtime Uni Watch comrade-in-arms Tom Shieber, who curates the Hall of Fame's Dressed to the Nines online exhibit. He solved the mystery in relatively short order. Here's his analysis:<br /><br />This was a fun one to research. I wasn't aware of this video but really enjoyed watching it. The 1929 World Series' billing, however, is incomplete. The park is definitely Wrigley Field, but not all of this footage is from the 1929 World Series.<br /><br />Here's my research: In 1929, the Cub's wishbone C had an image of a bear cub inside it. In 1930, however, they used UBS inside the wishbone C to fashion the word CUBS. The footage from 00:30 to 00:43 fairly clearly shows the Cubs wearing the 1930 design. This was the first clue to me that the video showed more than just 1929 World Series.<br /><br />From about 1:05 to 1:42 or so, you can see the Cubs carrying a flag and, right behind them, a club that definitely has something on the back of their jerseys. The next clip, from 1:43 to 2:05, shows that what the players had been carrying was a Champions / National League / 1929 pennant, and its being raised on the flagpole next to the scoreboard. Note that at the top of the scoreboard, it shows that the CUBS are playing BOSTON. Also, New York is at Pittsburgh (game in progress around the 6th inning or so), Brooklyn is at Cincinnati, and Philadelphia is at St. Louis.<br /><br />Put everything together and its clear that this footage is from Flag Day (June 21) in 1930. The Cubs paraded toward centerfield with the 1929 NL pennant, followed by the visiting club, the Boston Braves, who in 1929 and 1930 wore their Indian head logo on the back of their jerseys [remember, most teams weren't yet wearing uni numbers at this point]. Indeed, a quick check of Retrosheet shows that on June 21, 1930, the clubs noted above all played one another. Indeed, the partial linescore for the Giants/Pirates game even matches up. [?]<br /><br />From 2:06 to 2:37, the two teams then parade back to the infield, the Cubs on the third base side, and the Braves on the first base side. From 2:38 to 3:14 or so is various action from that days doubleheader. You can even see Cubs southpaw pitcher Bud Teachout deliver a pitch from 3:11 to 3:14.<br /><br />Soon afterward, the footage switches to pregame and game action from the 1929 World Series. Note that at 3:29, the bunting you'd expect to see at the World Series [which was absent at the 3:07 mark] is clearly visible. The rest of the film appears to indeed be from the 1929 World Series at Wrigley Field, though I am not sure if its Game One (October 8) or Game Two (October 9).<br /><br />So the big black circle was actually the Braves rear-jersey Indian head logo. That's another one of those uniform details that I had only seen depicted in illustration templates, never in an actual photograph. In fact, if not for the Dressed to the Nines templates, I probably wouldn't even be aware of the Indian head (its not shown in the Marc Okkonen book on which the Dressed to the Nines templates are based). When I mentioned this to Tom, he pointed me toward this photo. Thus endeth the lesson, at least for today.<br />

Archive
07-20-2007, 12:13 PM
Posted By: <b>S Gross</b><p>Not 100% sure it's Ehmke, but he is certainly one of my favorite players.<br />Fifteen years (starting with Buf Feds) of mediocrity, a 167-166 life time record, 3.75 era.<br />Then, in basically his last game he ever pitched, he becomes a national hero, by striking out 13 men.*<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />*Who's World Series strike out record of 12 did Ehmke beat?<br />Who beat Ehmke's World Series strike out record of 13?

Archive
07-20-2007, 02:32 PM
Posted By: <b>DMcD</b><p>Also very cool . .<br /><br /><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/P9x8aSglPIg"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P9x8aSglPIg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>