PDA

View Full Version : T206 Dopner variation?

Archive
07-17-2007, 07:44 AM
Posted By: <b>Pete Miller</b><p><br />Does anyone has this Dopner variation in your collection? Was that GAI grade Dopner really one of a kind? There are Nodgrass, Shappe, Murr'y and we have a Dopner to add onto the list.<br /><br /><br /><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/GAI-T206-Gus-Dorner-ERROR-card-uncatalogued-GEM-PBear_W0QQitemZ280129577253QQihZ018QQcategoryZ1061 78QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://cgi.ebay.com/GAI-T206-Gus-Dorner-ERROR-card-uncatalogued-GEM-PBear_W0QQitemZ280129577253QQihZ018QQcategoryZ1061 78QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem</a><br /><br />PM<br /><br />

Archive
07-17-2007, 07:59 AM
Posted By: <b>MVSNYC</b><p>i used to own a PSA 3 Nodgrass & i currently own an SGC 1.5 Shappe, (and obviously i know about the Murr'y) BUT i have never heard of this other variation...

Archive
07-17-2007, 10:54 AM
Posted By: <b>barry arnold</b><p>I noticed this card earlier on ebay, took a magnifying glass to it as best<br />I could, and it appears to me that the part of the R missing which produces<br />the P possibly involves alteration.<br />I must admit that I was worried when I read the narrative regarding the card<br />on ebay with statements like 'GAI, the undisputed leader among knowledgeable<br />collectors.' I also notice that the seller contends that GAI states that<br />the card is in 'unaltered original condition' and a 'legitimate printing error'. I don't see this language on the card from GAI as presented to us.<br />Why did GAI designate it as authentic---did it have to do with alteration?<br /><br />I just ask these questions so that others may continue to do the research on this item.<br />I, for one, would be most pleased to see a Dopner.<br />This one presently looks problematic to me. I am open to further discussion.<br /><br />all the best,<br />Barry<br /><br />

Archive
07-17-2007, 11:41 AM
Posted By: <b>Pete</b><p><br />I think the auction description says "The card has not been assigned a numeric grade, because it is not cataloged".<br /><br />Anyways, I don't think it worth $6k for BIN. That's way too high.

Archive
07-17-2007, 12:22 PM
Posted By: <b>T206Collector</b><p>...collecting Nodgrass and Murr'y and Shappe and Dopner and Colb and Mathewso and Jolson and Oung and Laioi....<br /><br />I find it silly.

Archive
07-17-2007, 12:31 PM
Posted By: <b>Trae R.</b><p>I agree, Paul.

Archive
07-17-2007, 12:31 PM
Posted By: <b>Bob</b><p>I have to agree.<br />Also I think the reason GAI graded it as authentic doesn't have anything to do with it being an uncatalogued variation but rather that it has a wavy right border and apparently trimmed top edge, in my view, thus an altered (but original) card.

Archive
07-17-2007, 12:35 PM
Posted By: <b>T206Collector</b><p>...P.B. Dopner means something to someone other than the card is authentic. I think they were legitimatizing this as a "P"rinter's "B"-something.<br /><br />It is one thing when the printer actually changes Magie to Magee. It is another thing when a fleck of crap on the screen keeps the brown ink from printing the tail of an R. <br /><br />

Archive
07-17-2007, 01:00 PM
Posted By: <b>MVSNYC</b><p>paul, trae, bob...<br /><br />i actually tend to agree with you guys...BUT, with my Nodgrass, i got it raw for $40 years ago (noticed the missing "S"), sent it in to PSA with a letter describing the variation (they had not yet graded one at this point, 9 years ago)...it was slabbed a PSA 3, then i sold it thru Leland's for $3000...not too shabby.<br /><br />there is someone out there for everything.

Archive
07-17-2007, 02:54 PM
Posted By: <b>barry arnold</b><p>Paul,<br />I was thinking the P.B. stood for Polar Bear!<br /><br />best,<br /><br />barry