PDA

View Full Version : chipping vs. paper loss

Archive
07-11-2007, 11:27 PM
Posted By: <b>Anson</b><p>Would you guys consider chipping to be limited to the borders of cards or on the back and face as well?

Archive
07-12-2007, 11:53 AM
Posted By: <b>T206Collector</b><p>...possible everywhere. It is not a "vs." issue for me. Rather, chipping is paper loss, to me, just a different kind -- a fleck of paint that either never covered the paper or was "chipped" off. Paper loss due to removal of glue/tape can also create a chipping effect. The only quetion for me is how much paper or paint is missing.

Archive
07-12-2007, 12:38 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>In normal hobby terminology, chipping applies to the edges. It's not coincidental that most chipping happens at the edges. Are there cases where there's genuine chipping to the front of a card? Probably. <br /><br />Whether it pertains to the front, back or edges, the simple question for the card description writer to ask is, "Is it chipping?"

Archive
07-12-2007, 01:00 PM
Posted By: <b>boxingcardman</b><p>I have some T cards that came from a vintage find where there must have been tobacco specks on the cards at one point because there are a few tiny chips in the cards. How they grade is always something that is open to interpretation. I have deferred to SGC in how to grade those cards, which have ranged from good to excellent per SGC.

Archive
07-12-2007, 03:55 PM
Posted By: <b>Richard Masson</b><p>I find chipping on the front very common with M116 Sporting Lifes and some of the caramel issues. <br />Paper loss I associate more with album or adhesive removal.