PDA

View Full Version : SGC vs PSA - T206

Archive
07-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Posted By: <b>Dave Hornish</b><p>I was just tooling around the VCP site and based on a small random sample, it appears SGC slabs are slowly taking over equivalent PSA's by about 10% in value. I generally bust out my slabbed cards but buy enough of them that this is potentially interesting news. Anyone else notice this?

Archive
07-01-2007, 01:19 PM
Posted By: <b>bigfish</b><p>deleted.....

Archive
07-01-2007, 02:01 PM
Posted By: <b>MikeU</b><p>This simply is not true. No matter how concrete your date is, I release the following statement of which one and likely several more, are without doubt true: <br /><br />The data must be completely distorted, miscontrued, manipulated, too small of a sample size, examples of mid to low grade cards which do not count, various time frames to garner no good, different auction formats to invlaidate the data, better sellers for SGC cards to invalidate the data and schill biders for SGC cards to invalidate the data. <br /><br />This makes your statement an outright lie or a least fales data and everyone should console themsleves that the original statement holds no merit and nothing has or is changing. Also, SGC deserves better than someone simply stating these misleading statements. <br />

Archive
07-01-2007, 02:37 PM
Posted By: <b>Scot Reader</b><p>Dave,<br /><br />I have not compared prices lately but between 2003 and 2006 PSA slabs outperformed SGC slabs in the T206 space by 10-20%. More than anything, I think this was attributable to strong PSA set registry participation. T206 PSA 6-8 common prices have retrenched in the last several months due to some noteworthy PSA registry participants having completed or neared completion of their sets. This may account for any recent narrowing of the price gap (although I am skeptical that SGC has "taken the lead" in T206 pricing).<br /><br />The issues to watch in the near term are (a) whether these PSA registry folks will hold onto their inventory and (b) whether more fresh PSA registry blood will come into the market. If the answer to (a) and (b) is "yes" then look for the price gap, if it has narrowed, to re-widen.<br /><br />Bias Disclaimer: I like PSA and SGC and have slabs from both companies; however, the ratio is about 90% PSA and 10% SGC.

Archive
07-01-2007, 02:42 PM
Posted By: <b>peter chao</b><p>My rule of thumb has always been buy SGC and sell PSA. If SGC prices are going up that will make it simpler, I'll just buy SGC and sell SGC.<br /><br />Peter

Archive
07-01-2007, 03:02 PM
Posted By: <b>joe brennan</b><p>Peter, If you buy SGC and sell PSA. Where did you get the PSA to sell? <br><br>In Rememberance of James W. Brennan Sr. 1924-1982. Dad, thanks for everything you did for me.

Archive
07-01-2007, 03:06 PM
Posted By: <b>peter chao</b><p>My guess is that PSA still controls 2/3 of the market. Some very desirable cards can only be found in PSA holders, so there are times when you simply have to buy PSA. Also, if you see a really nice card in a SGC holder, you can take a chance and open the slab and resubmit to PSA.<br /><br />Peter

Archive
07-01-2007, 03:17 PM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>I sell lots of vintage cards and neither company jumps out at me as being able to get higher prices. Accurately graded cards that are in high demand will do great in a PSA or SGC holder.<br /><br />However, since SGC is a little stricter, I think there may be a little higher level of confidence. But I'm happy to sell cards graded by either company.

Archive
07-04-2007, 12:00 AM
Posted By: <b>WP</b><p>Mike,<br /> Why do you question what is being said early on in the thread? Do you think PSA cards sell for more money that their SGC counterparts?

Archive
07-05-2007, 09:54 AM
Posted By: <b>scott fandango</b><p>for T201, i know there are drastic differences in SGC and PSA...<br />i have been following this issue for about 2 years and its very easy to buy "cheap" SGC cards and cross them over to PSA in same grade, and the card jumps in value...<br /><br />just check recent completed auction on ebay under T201 and see for yourself...<br /><br />edited--i cant say for sure about the T206's though