PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Question: Card Show Etiquette

Archive
07-02-2007, 06:43 PM
Posted By: <b>Jared</b><p>Hello,<br /><br />In my attempt to get back into card collecting I'm attending my first card show since I was a kid this week. In preparation I've made a spreadsheet of cards I'm targeting and I plan on taking notes on the price/grade I observe for those cards at the show. Basically I'll be walking from table to table and writing in my notebook.<br /><br />Is this acceptable behavior at a card show? Or do I need to be more discreet?<br /><br />I don't want to offend anyone. Thanks!

Archive
07-02-2007, 06:49 PM
Posted By: <b>rob</b><p>I dont think writing down prices is a problem, but usually the prices listed are not the prices that will be accepted. Many dealers are wiiling to negotiate, and in fact, expect to negotiate. The prices listed are generally for the "suckers" who want to buy a card for their son or simply dont know what the heck they are doing. Often you can buy cards for 30-40% less than the listed price so I wouldnt take the listed price as the potential sale price, more like a starting poitn. Just my experience...Rob

Archive
07-02-2007, 07:01 PM
Posted By: <b>Jared</b><p>Wow, good tip. I expected to negotiate, but not down 30-40%.

Archive
07-02-2007, 07:12 PM
Posted By: <b>rob</b><p>Well, its not the rule, but it can be done many times...if a card is listed at $100, you try $70 as an offer and you can often end up at $80. That is probably more the norm. Perhaps I over-exagerated a bit, lets say 20% or so to be safe.

Archive
07-02-2007, 10:07 PM
Posted By: <b>Craig H</b><p>It also depends on the item and how bad you want it. I usually base my potential purchases on the price the dealer has affixed on his/her item. Some prices in the price guide are way too low or way too high. I've "overpaid" for items simply because despite the guide saying an item is cheap or common, I've never seen it and it may be unlikely I'll see it again. Some items are just so unusual and obscure, there isn't a universally accepted price for it.<br /><br />Occassionally a dealer has given me a break on an item I'm interested in purchasing. Last year, a dealer offered to knock off 30% of a Sport Kings Johnny Weissmuller card if I did the Tarzan yell. <br /><br />Craig

Archive
07-02-2007, 10:37 PM
Posted By: <b>Andrew</b><p>When I think etiquette, card show dealers don't come to mind, so I wouldn't worry about it.<br /><br />Note: of course there are some diamonds in the rough, that's why I indicated "generally."<br><br>"Take your life in your own hands and what happens? A terrible thing: no one to blame." -- Erica Jong

Archive
07-03-2007, 10:43 AM
Posted By: <b>dstudeba</b><p>I will echo Andrew's statement and add that remember you are the customer so do what you like (within reason obviously)<br /><br />

Archive
07-03-2007, 10:59 AM
Posted By: <b>MVSNYC</b><p>good question...<br /><br />writing notes? sure, why not...<br /><br />as for negotiating...as several have indicated above, absolutely negotiate. i NEVER pay full asking price for anything, i have learned to be a tuff negotiator from my dad, he is very tuff. throw them a low offer, the worst they can say is no (they should get offended, because they know it doesn't hurt to ask)...and most of the times, you'll be surprised, they will bite...or at least meet you somewhere in the middle.<br /><br /><br />good luck.<br />MS