PDA

View Full Version : Who Coined The Phrase ????????????????

Archive
05-28-2007, 10:39 PM
Posted By: <b>Brad</b><p>"There's NO crying in BASEBALL!!"????<br /><br />Here's the Tom Hanks movie "There's NO crying in BASEBALL", I just can't believe' this phrase came from this movie!<br /><br />Does any one else know any other funny phrases referring to vintage baseball? <br /><br /><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rKr8QzjixJ4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rKr8QzjixJ4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Archive
05-28-2007, 10:41 PM
Posted By: <b>MVSNYC</b><p>yes, i did know that, funny movie, hanks is great in it.<br /><br />just read up on casey stengel & yogi berra...you'll get some funny phrases out of their books...

Archive
05-29-2007, 05:03 AM
Posted By: <b>H Murphy</b><p>If I had to venture a guess, it had to be a Red Sox or possibly a Cubs fan.

Archive
05-29-2007, 06:28 AM
Posted By: <b>Brian Weisner</b><p><br /> I thought it was Leo Durocher......

Archive
05-29-2007, 08:23 AM
Posted By: <b>Peter Spaeth</b><p>I always liked the phrase "ducks on the pond" referring to men on base. I think some old time announcer came up with it but don't recall which one.

Archive
05-29-2007, 10:09 AM
Posted By: <b>Ken McMillan</b><p>"Nice Guys finish Last" Loeo durocher.<br /><br />"Bloomin Fanny"......Randy Hundley<br /><br />"Holy cow" ....Harry Carey<br /><br />"Hey Hey, it's a bellringer" .....Jack Brickhaus<br /><br />"let's play 2 today" .....Ernie Banks<br /><br />" It may be, it might be, it is, .........a foul ball" Harry Carey

Archive
05-29-2007, 10:43 AM
Posted By: <b>Ken W.</b><p>Pretty sure "Ducks on the Pond" was coined by Red Barber.

Archive
05-29-2007, 11:00 AM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>I believe Red Barber also used "he's sitting in the catbird seat", which became the inspiration for the James Thurber short story "The Catbird Seat."

Archive
05-29-2007, 11:46 AM
Posted By: <b>joe</b><p>Jimmie Foxx actually managed in the women's league, Dugan was a made up name for the movie. So Foxx?<br /><br />Joe<br><br>Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Archive
05-29-2007, 11:48 AM
Posted By: <b>MVSNYC</b><p>guys, you're missing brad's point above...he is telling us right in his first post, that hanks coined it int he movie, and he can't believe it...that's where it came from, nowhere else.

Archive
05-29-2007, 12:01 PM
Posted By: <b>Mark L</b><p>Is Tom Hanks right? Seems to me that there's been some famous crying in baseball, from Branca to a young Mantle to whoever was around on Lou Gehrig day.

Archive
05-29-2007, 12:02 PM
Posted By: <b>Peter Spaeth</b><p>Nope, not Red, just looked it up on google.<br /><br /><a href="http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/hofers_and_honorees/frick_bios/mcdonald_arch.htm" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/hofers_and_honorees/frick_bios/mcdonald_arch.htm</a>

Archive
05-29-2007, 12:30 PM
Posted By: <b>Ken W.</b><p>Wow. I think I thought the "ducks" line was from Barber because Vin Scully said that in the Ken Burns documentary. Of course, I might be mistaken about that, too! I've been wrong a lot lately.

Archive
05-29-2007, 03:12 PM
Posted By: <b>Joe Pelaez</b><p>Full of Brooks<br /><br />Red Barber

Archive
05-29-2007, 04:48 PM
Posted By: <b>Scot Reader</b><p><br />"Hit 'em where they ain't"<br /><br />--Wee Willie Keeler<br /><br />"It ain't over 'til it's over"<br /><br />--Yogi Berra<br /><br />

Archive
05-29-2007, 05:04 PM
Posted By: <b>DMcD</b><p>"Say it ain't so, Joe. (I'm afraid it is, kid)." - Kid and SJ Jackson<br />"Let the teachers teach English and I will teach baseball. There is a lot of people in the United States who say isn't, and they ain't eating."- Dizzy Dean<br />"This ain't no disco." - Elmer Smith<br />

Archive
05-29-2007, 05:23 PM
Posted By: <b>Tim James</b><p>I thought that Yogi Berra said,"Hit 'em where they ain't. Satchell Paige would be the guy I would point towards as far as "phrases" such as "Don't look back, something may be gaining on you".Also,"Avoid running at all times".The one I like to think about is Casey Stengal, when Mickey was working as a rookie in the pre-season,"Put that kid in the outfield before he hurts someone" !

Archive
05-29-2007, 05:33 PM
Posted By: <b>Bob Pomilla</b><p>Babe Ruth, on why he deserved to make a higher salary than Great Depression era president Herbert Hoover-"I had a better year than he did".

Archive
05-29-2007, 05:36 PM
Posted By: <b>Peter Spaeth</b><p>One of the great quotes of all time IMHO -- a sportswriter said of Cobb, "He would climb a mountain to punch an echo." Poetry.

Archive
05-30-2007, 11:27 AM
Posted By: <b>Andy Broome</b><p>I thought Arch McDonald coined the term "Duck on the pond". Men left on base wre "Dead ducks".<br />When Arch started out calling games for Chattanooga, he used to play "The Old Pine Tree" as his "theme song". He also coined "right down Broadway" and "there she goes Mrs. Murphy" for a home run. He is also credited coining the nickname "Yankee Clipper" for Joltin' Joe.

Archive
05-30-2007, 11:37 AM
Posted By: <b>Neal Kane</b><p>is a rather peculiar phrase for a high,lazy pop fly that is easily caught. <br /><br />I do not know who coined the phrase, but roots back to late 19th century grocers who would tip a can of corn perched high on the shelf and then catch it. <br /><br />Baseball is pretty interesting stuff.