PDA

View Full Version : Creating a vintage website

Archive
05-27-2007, 11:45 AM
Posted By: <b>CraigD</b><p>Please assist a beginner.<br /><br />I already have a domain name. I'd like a place to post pictures of my collection and be able to do some writing (commentary, history, decriptions, etc) as well. No idea what to do next.<br /><br />I'd like to keep it simple and classy, but also low-cost and low-maintenance.<br /><br />Many of you have excellent sites and can hopefully offer some tips and guidance.<br /><br />Thanks in advance.

Archive
05-27-2007, 12:24 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>There are many free web hosting sites on the net. I have used the Geocities.com free one and it was pretty good. I now have one I pay a few dollars a month for and it's really good and is still part of Geocities...which is yahoo....You can look on our links page and click on folks personal websites to see what they use. The ones that are free will generally have some banners or ads to cover the cost to the hosting company. Free is a good way to start.....and if you feel you can get the $8-$15 a month of value, with all of the paid site extras then you can switch to that. Good luck and best regards

Archive
05-27-2007, 12:29 PM
Posted By: <b>Mark T</b><p>I have a Geocities/Yahoo web site and it is pretty easy to set up. Takes some practice but i think mine came out pretty good. Like Leon said, being free you have to put up with banner ads on the side but after a while you just don't pay attention to them.

Archive
05-27-2007, 12:40 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>My site, cycleback.com, is made using Adobe PageMill-- which you buy on CD. You can make a simple or complex web site, and beginners can learn how to use it (will need the instruction book). I have a domain name and my web hosting/space is done through my normal email provider. I've had a web site since the 1990s and have always used PageMill. Perhaps I'm out of date by now, but it works for me.<br /><br />Once you make your web page(s), it's then a matter of figuring how to upload to the pages to your domain/space-- which isn't hard.

Archive
05-27-2007, 12:46 PM
Posted By: <b>Bruce Babcock</b><p>I'm in the process of moving my stuff to imageevent.com. $24.95 a year for up to 1500 images. Seems pretty versatile and easy to use so far.

Archive
05-27-2007, 03:38 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Bretta</b><p>Bruce, you can use photobucket and load way more than 1500 images for FREE. I have a photobucket site with over 1100 images and I'm using only 15% of my allotted space.