PDA

View Full Version : A bit upset about this one...

Archive
05-22-2007, 02:40 PM
Posted By: <b>Dylan</b><p>So I recently won a 1910 W-UNC strip issue Donnie Bush SGC 10 that originated from "The Rivals" notebook cover. So the seller told me he shipped it off should arrive in one to two days. A couple weeks later i said i still hadnt received it he said he'd look into it and get the insurance info. Few more days pass, no insurance info so i start dispute process with paypal. Very next day he "finds" the card and ships it out and i received it today. A bit of a pain but its not what im upset about. I receive the card and realize that the pupils had been filled in with a pencil and there also is a small pencil mark about 3/8 inch following his hair line. This seller mentioned none of this. I see many auctions where sellers list their graded cards and say nothing of the condition. As if the grade is all that needs to be said. Now I realize it was graded an sgc 10, but thats important information left out on purpose in my opinion so bids are higher. If a defect isnt apparent, or difficult to see in the scan it should be mentioned! I always mention defects, whether its slabbed or not. He DID write that it was in great condition and that its the second highest graded by sgc and all about how rare it is and what its measurements were and blah blah blah, but conviently left out a very blatent defect and that pisses me off! So are my feelings of frusteration justified or should sellers be able to keep this stuff secret with their graded cards and i should just deal?<br />Here's a link to it<br /><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=230117202786&rd=1&rd=1" target="_new" rel="nofollow">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=230117202786&rd=1&rd=1</a>

Archive
05-22-2007, 02:47 PM
Posted By: <b>Frank Wakefield</b><p>Well the image in the listing is a bit out of focus.... still, the eyes don't look right in that image. The line you mention isn't obvious in the scan. I suspect that you saw the card was in a graded holder so you didn't look at the card with as much diligence as you might have had it been not graded. Such is the downside of buying a graded card.<br /><br />The card is graded poor. I don't think the seller has to mention that the card's top left corner is missing a tiny bit when the card is graded poor. Something has to be wrong with it if it has a 10/poor... <br /><br />Have you contacted him about returning the card, less shipping? Maybe you burned the bridge to that possibility with the dispute filing.<br /><br />Good luck with it.<br /><br />Frank.

Archive
05-22-2007, 02:51 PM
Posted By: <b>Steve Murray</b><p>Me likey the card. Be happy to take it off your hands. email me.<br /><br />Now with an analysis.<br /><br />It is a 10. I'm not real sure that each minicule defect has to be disclosed.<br /><br />It was a notebook cover so I presume that some kid probably owned it and may had done some doodling. Adds a litttle flavor to it in my book.<br /><br />

Archive
05-22-2007, 02:51 PM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>He should mention a flaw but is it possible he missed it? You might want to ask him. Also, why not just see if he will take it back. It went pretty cheap, and it seems like you could get your money out of it if you had to sell it. All in all, not the worst thing in the world. Most sellers are reasonable and will listen if you are unhappy.

Archive
05-22-2007, 02:52 PM
Posted By: <b>Steve f</b><p>I would be disappointed. He didn't offer to disclose, but he is a big gun. (I'm surprised he offered Larger photos.)<br /><br />If you could only find that little brat that defaced your Bush! Ask for a refund, he seems like a decent enough seller, albeit sloppy with the shipping.

Archive
05-22-2007, 04:33 PM
Posted By: <b>dstudeba</b><p>I would be annoyed, and sell it to Steve.

Archive
05-22-2007, 04:45 PM
Posted By: <b>Jimmy</b><p>I always try to grade the card in a holder or not, in my eBay auctions I explain if there are creases, wear, pencil marks, staining etc. - glad you did get the card after all that. I just think some sellers already know the grade and do not take time to explain the card, but I think that should be there choice when it comes to a graded card.<br /><br />Take Care Jimmy<br />

Archive
05-22-2007, 04:50 PM
Posted By: <b>Joey Settle</b><p>Dylan,<br /><br />I am friends with the seller of these cards. He had the cards on consignment for someone else. I just spoke with him on the phone. He is more than willing to make this right so shoot him an email. Steve is a good guy and wouldn't try to mislead or deceive anyone. Although I am still suprised that SGC assigns these a numerical grade, the card is graded a 10 and to me, that pretty much speaks for itself. I purchased the SGC 40 Carrigan from him and was pleased with it. Sorry you weren't happy with the card but he promised me that he would take care of the problem. <br /><br />Joey<br />

Archive
05-22-2007, 08:15 PM
Posted By: <b>Prewarsports</b><p>Just be happy it is in an SGC holder since these are not baseball cards. Now that it is known that these are small cutout pieces from a notebook that was never intended to be cut up, I dont understand why they have any more value than the Spalding guides that are ripped up and sold on ebay as cards.

Archive
05-22-2007, 09:05 PM
Posted By: <b>Fred C</b><p>So let me see... SGC and AAA are now on par with each other? JK

Archive
05-22-2007, 09:22 PM
Posted By: <b>joe brennan</b><p>If you weren't so busy making useless comments on other peoples BST posts you may have used the time more wisely and e-mailed the seller and asked him useful questions about the card and it's conditon. <br><br>In Rememberance of James W. Brennan Sr. 1924-1982. Dad, thanks for everything you did for me.

Archive
05-22-2007, 09:28 PM
Posted By: <b>Dave F</b><p>It may not even be pencil marks on the eyes. It is possible these are "ghost images"...or "wet sheet" transfers as also referred to. I have several of these.

Archive
05-22-2007, 10:02 PM
Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p>I never said I was looking to return or sell the card, just to get some opinions on whether you think the card decription was appropriate or not. And to answer one question, yes the moment i pulled the card out of the package the eyes shined from the pencil, it is most obvious. When i showed it to my mom it was the first thing she noticed as well(i didnt tell her about it either), so i know the seller could not have not known about it. I knew that a few of you would jump on my back and say "you shoulda looked harder" or like Joe saying something to the effect "instead of making all your useless comments here you should email the seller about its condition" but really i wanted to know about how you guys feel about sellers highlighting a cards positive aspects and not mentioning the negative ones. Now if there was no info at all written for the card i wouldnt be upset, although i do think sellers should list something that isnt noticable(like the pencil mark that is on his head, perhaps the eyes are noticable I dont refer to them) in a scan. But when you take the time to highlight a cards positives it seems that you should also mention any glaring defects, especially if you write the card is in "great condition." Just my opinion, even if the card is in a sgc 10 holder.

Archive
05-22-2007, 10:30 PM
Posted By: <b>Bob Pomilla</b><p>"but really i wanted to know about how you guys feel about sellers highlighting a cards positive aspects and not mentioning the negative ones."<br /><br />Think it can safely be assumed most would be against it.

Archive
05-23-2007, 12:53 AM
Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p>NM