PDA

View Full Version : Now let me see if I get this straight

Archive
05-22-2007, 03:37 PM
Posted By: <b>Bob</b><p>SGC will grade "cards" which are handcut from notebook covers and assign grades, they will grade Zeenut candy cards which have the bottoms ripped off or cut off and assign grades, but still won't grade the frameless backed 1909 Obaks (90% of which are handcut)?????<br />Does this make sense to anyone?

Archive
05-22-2007, 03:53 PM
Posted By: <b>Dan Bretta</b><p>I think they will eventually get added to the list of things that SGC will grade...I was surprised to see that they will encapsulate just about any postcard. They also at one time would not encapsulate skinned N172's, but I have now seen a few of them in SGC holders. I'd ask again Bob, maybe this time they'll say yes.

Archive
05-22-2007, 03:58 PM
Posted By: <b>Peter Thomas</b><p>Bob - I have 11 no frame 1909's graded by SGC 5 are (aut.) 3 are (1), 1 is (1.5), 1 is (2) and 1 is (3). With the exception of one of the (aut.) they all look about the same to me.

Archive
05-22-2007, 04:37 PM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>Leon and I were discussing the notebook cover thing, and we don't get it either. The cards aren't even getting an AUTH grade; they are actually getting a numerical grade. They need to explain their policy on these.

Archive
05-22-2007, 08:39 PM
Posted By: <b>E, Daniel</b><p>Doesn't it make as much sense as other cut-outs? Orange borders, J=K, Darby's, etc...<br />Do we know for a fact that these other packaging cards were meant to be cut out? We assume so because they have borders that allow for some scissors to trace a reasonably recognizable shape.<br />I think looking at the Notebook, you'll find exactly the same design going on. The player images could simply 'float' on the cover if that was all they intended, but similarly the players are within card type borders that encourage cropping out and certainly demonstrate the look of baseball cards of the times.<br />With the number of notebooks supplied around the country to kids at the time, I wouldn't be surprised to imagine a large number of them ended as souveniers.<br /><br />Sounds like baseball cards to me.<br /><br /><br /><br />Daniel

Archive
05-22-2007, 08:52 PM
Posted By: <b>Brian</b><p>I share your frustration Bob.