PDA

View Full Version : T206 reprint set values?

Archive
05-14-2007, 10:51 PM
Posted By: <b>Nick</b><p>Is there any value to the T206 reprint sets ? I recently purchased a Monster set off ebay that has the wood color box. Does anyone know what year this was reprinted and who the company was that reprinted it?<br /><br /><br />Thanks for the info.<br /><br /><br />Nickhttp://www.network54.com/Realm/tmp/1179118285.JPG

Archive
05-14-2007, 10:55 PM
Posted By: <b>Lee</b><p>If i remember coorecly, "The Monster" Reprints were done in the 1980's. I don't know what company did them, maybe Renata Galasso INC? I'd say the complete reprint set is worth about $50-$75.<br /><br />Regards,<br />Lee

Archive
05-15-2007, 08:26 AM
Posted By: <b>Larry</b><p>They're pretty much worthless as an investment.

Archive
05-15-2007, 10:34 AM
Posted By: <b>Bruce Babcock</b><p>I think the set in the simulated wood box was printed by a company called Capitol. I paid $10 for mine.

Archive
05-15-2007, 12:45 PM
Posted By: <b>John H.</b><p>Reprint sets are indeed worthless as an investment but they are wonderful from the perspective of being able to look at near exact duplicates of historical cards. I buy them because, for the most part, I am a set completionist and I choose not to spend thousands of dollars and countless hours on building original sets, that I know I will never complete, when I can purchase reprint sets for peanuts in one fell swoop. <br /><br />Having said that, I certainly have the utmost respect and admiration for the people on this board who are willing, able and driven enough to make the effort to build the original sets.<br /><br />John

Archive
05-15-2007, 12:56 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>Not everything has to be an investment.<br /><br />As a kid I bought a 1941 Play Ball reprint set from the Larry Frisch catalog, and have fond memories of those reprints.

Archive
05-15-2007, 02:04 PM
Posted By: <b>Frank Wakefield</b><p>Nick, I don't think the responses above have done justice to your enquiry...<br /><br />First, no reprint set is good as an investment. No baseball card is, either. Invest in mutual funds... or a home. Buying 6 or 8 acres of land and planting hardwood trees, then waiting 25 to 30 years to cut them, that is a fine investment. A studied purchase of real estate is an investment. Paying for a kid's college education is an excellent investment. A hobby shouldn't be your investment.<br /><br />Second, in 1983 Topps issued a reprint of their 1952 cards. That reprint set now sells for close to $200. An increase in value, maybe. Still not an investment. But an affordable way to see what the cards were like, read the backs, send off for autographs...<br /><br />Finally, getting a reprint set of T206s is fine for that very purpose. They are neat to look at. The idea that their value might not grow in leaps and bounds shouldn't deter you from acquiring a reprint set. I bought reprints of the Cracker Jack and T205 cards... not for appreciation in value, but so I could read what was on the backs of all of the cards. Money well spent for me. But not spent as an investment. But it has true value to me.<br /><br />Frank

Archive
05-18-2007, 03:27 AM
Posted By: <b>Nick</b><p>Thanks for the posts guys. I am sure I will get some entertainment out of my reprint set purchase. I have seen these reprint sets going close to or over $100 on ebay.... is it just because people dont know where to get them cheaper ??<br /><br /><br />