PDA

View Full Version : Red Sun tobacco cards

Archive
05-08-2007, 12:53 PM
Posted By: <b>Frank Bennett</b><p>I recently acquired a small group of Red Sun boxer cards. Unfortunately they are glued into a scrap book. Any suggestions on how to get them out or recommendations of professional services that do that sort of thing would be appreciated. Thanks

Archive
05-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Posted By: <b>Steve Murray</b><p>I think that Red Sun is an issue that would hold up well to soaking.<br /><br />If you cut the cards off of the scrapbook page leaving maybe a half inch or so of page around them and then soak them in distilled water you may have success. <br /><br />Disclaimer:<br /><br />Nothing contained herein shall be construed as an endorsement of "soaking".

Archive
05-08-2007, 01:00 PM
Posted By: <b>Frank Wakefield</b><p>Whatever holds them down to the paper should be water soluble. <br /><br />If you've never done this, you'll be reluctant to try it...<br /><br />With scissors, cut out a card, with a margin of scrapbook paper. Run tap water in a glass. Run tap water on your card, then put the card in the glass. After 2 or 3 hours, or so, check on it, to see if the card is loosening. Once it floats off, gently wash it under tap water to remove residual glue, GENTLY rub with your finger. Lay on a paper towel and blot. Let air dry for half an hour or so, then you can put it between a few sheets of paper and under some phone books or encyclopedias.<br /><br />In the old days, guys would tear the scrapbook sheets out, put them in the bathtub, and float them off overnight.<br /><br />Try it with one card to remove your anxiety.<br /><br />If you're super paranoid you could hire someone. (Hire me!) Or, you could used distilled water. But truthfully, that is a waste of money and effort. Tap water will work fine.

Archive
05-08-2007, 02:13 PM
Posted By: <b>boxingcardman</b><p>If it is not, no amount of soaking will work. If it is water-based, you will know it in a few minutes, not hours. <br /><br />I've never tried to soak a Red Sun before. They do have a glossy surface that is crack prone, so I am not sure how it would work. <br /><br />If you are going to experiment, try it with a common player; collectors will not care as much about paper on a star. If you don't know who the stars were, please email me with a list of who you have and I will help you.

Archive
05-09-2007, 06:28 PM
Posted By: <b>Rob</b><p>what you could try with glossy cards is a stamp remover fluid, which appears to be a chlorinated solvent mixture or dry cleaner fluid. Just apply to the paper backing (assuming cards are not stuck back to back). Word of warning: this method could result in paper loss on the back, in which case PSA can hammer a nrmt appearing card down to a good even with the tiniest loss.

Archive
05-09-2007, 06:38 PM
Posted By: <b>Steve Murray</b><p>rather than paste (water soluble)has anyone tried a hair dryer to melt the glue?

Archive
05-10-2007, 11:36 AM
Posted By: <b>mr. moses</b><p>Distilled water. Room temperature. DO NOT RUB THE SURFACE gently or otherwise. Be MOST careful NOT to soak too long. I like to CHANGE the water every 15 minutes or so that the cards don't re-absorb whatever matter is soaking out. If not working WARM the water and try again. Animal based glue will not soak in your lifetime. SOME cards are made with fibers and or inks that will cause the cards to separate, fade, bleed, and whatever. Try ONE card. Be VERY careful when the cards are wet as they will crease or lose surface if not handled with care while they are wet (especially when you are trying to remove them from the water). Dry card BETWEEN 4/5 sheets of computer or typing paper with significant weight to keep the cards flat (I use a large book that exceeds the size of the paper and then put some serious weight on top of that). CHANGE the paper every 15-20 minutes for the first hour or two and then once or twice the first day. I keep the cards pressed for 2/3 DAYS. Exercise caution and move slowly. Do NOT think that because the card LOOKS dry that the whole card is. Stop too early and card may stain, curl, or wrinkle. Best of luck.........