PDA

View Full Version : John McGraw Autographed Photo

Archive
05-02-2007, 09:40 PM
Posted By: <b>Lobert Collector</b><p>Does anyone have any idea what a John McGraw autographed photo is worth? Specifically the one from REA lot 1013? May need to sell it and having trouble finding any previous sales. Thanks, Bob

Archive
05-02-2007, 10:15 PM
Posted By: <b>DJ</b><p>It's tough to decipher a value on such a unique item because the photo itself (if I read the description correctly) isn't signed, but the matting along with several other players. <br /><br />It would be hard to make a "cut" of this item without ruining the piece in general. Recently a cut signature clipped from a check affixed to a three by five card sold for $1,200 and I'm sure there will be more of a premium ($$$) for something as unique as something that came from a former player's estate with iron-clad provenance like the REA catalog. Estimate: $2,000+.<br /><br />Hope that helps.<br /><br />DJ<br /><br />edit: spelling

Archive
05-02-2007, 10:29 PM
Posted By: <b>Bob B.</b><p>DJ- That's about what I was thinking value-wise. It was a weird lot to bid on for me. The stuff I was interested in accounted for less than half the lot value. Not that the photo isn't a very nice item. Thanks for the input.

Archive
05-02-2007, 11:28 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>The value seems high to me-- though Mcgraw's signature is scarce (died 1934) and the Lobert/Halper provenance will increase value.

Archive
05-03-2007, 03:58 AM
Posted By: <b>Dave F</b><p>I think the value would be right on...with a certified McGraw auto. It's been over 70 years since he was alive...can't be the number of autos that a Rube Marquard would have out...and his auto's are "cheap". <br /><br />I would think James and Paul could chime in here with some more knowledge..they both collect the auto's.

Archive
05-03-2007, 06:45 AM
Posted By: <b>T206Collector</b><p>I really only collect autographed T206 cards, and I doubt McGraw signed many if any of those. Most of the signed T206 cards were signed later than the 1950's, longer than McGraw survived. <br /><br />Anyway, never been in the market for autographed photos of anyone, so I really have no idea.<br /><br />Paul

Archive
05-03-2007, 08:22 AM
Posted By: <b>Mike</b><p>McGraws auto's are a bit harder to find than people realize, even though he was usually a willing signer. Even though he made it to about 60 years of age, they can be a challenge to locate. As others have said, it is rather an odd item, due to the photo itself, not being signed. I'd say the 2 grand range is fair. Not much higher than that though. In my humble opinion.

Archive
05-03-2007, 09:02 AM
Posted By: <b>Sean Coe</b><p>The fact that it is not precisely a signed photo hurts the value a little. I'd estimate 1,500-1800 would be fair.