PDA

View Full Version : Removing Flour Paste Residue

Archive
05-01-2007, 09:23 PM
Posted By: <b>Dave Hornish</b><p>OK-I just picked up a 1941 Play Ball Reese with 4 samll to medium spots of fairly transparent glue residue on back; it's possible to read all the text through the spots. I am fairly certain it's a basic flour paste and was wondering if distilled water by the drop carefully applied with a q-tip will remove same without damaging the back. I have read on the board that this method works on T206 cards but this is a whole different animal and I have to assume the card stock is not nearly as good as what was used in 1909-11.<br /><br />Does anyone have an idea if this method will work for this card?

Archive
05-02-2007, 12:58 PM
Posted By: <b>leon</b><p>'41 Playballs are a little new for me but I have done what you said with many other pre-war cards and always with good results. The main thing to remember is be gentle and DON'T rub hard at all....Rub lightly and slowly....be gentle....and I doubt you will have a problem....again, I have never tried it on a Playball and not sure how good (or bad) their stock is under pressure.....good luck and let us know how it turns out if you try it...regards

Archive
05-02-2007, 03:31 PM
Posted By: <b>Frank Wakefield</b><p>I've not soaked a Playball. Find someone who has.<br /><br />Or, find an old raggedy Playball and put him in a glass of water. Wait a few hours. Blot him with a dishcloth. Then with paper towels. Then I'd let him lay loose until almost dry, then maybe blot him between copy paper and books... If the raggedy Playball separates, don't soak the Reese.<br /><br />If it doesn't separate, you can soak him. I suspect if you do the eye dropper method it will take a long time, and you'll get water spots. If you soak him whole, no spots or water marks. I think distilled water is overkill, unless you have crap tap water.<br /><br />Seriously, the old guys would buy scrapbooks of T206s, lay the pages in a bathtub and fill it with water. The cards would float off. Lots of those cards are in collections today. Realistically, most of the cards with good corners were saved by the scrapbook. The loose cards got the rounded corners.

Archive
05-02-2007, 04:00 PM
Posted By: <b>Kevin Saucier</b><p>Whatever you do, don't use water drops...it will cause "halo" water stains.<br /><br />It's a leap of faith, the entire card needs to be immersed in a single plunge. If you have never done this before practice on a beater first.<br /><br /><br />Kevin