PDA

View Full Version : Lionel Carter's 33 goudey # 106 Lajoie...Story

Archive
04-21-2007, 08:03 PM
Posted By: <b>rand</b><p>i just read in the SGC Magazine about Lionel Carter's collection, that his # 106 Lajoie was given to him as a gift from Jefferson Burdick, Burdick had 10 of them sent to him directly from Goudey. I am an avid 33 goudey collector, and this just amazed me, i wonder what it will grade and sell for, not so much for the actual monetary gain, but for the incredible provenance. Any story i hear about 33 goudeys are special to me.

Archive
04-21-2007, 08:53 PM
Posted By: <b>Doug Allen</b><p>Actually we just got the card back from SGC. It graded NM/MT 88. As with all the cards the color is spectacular. The card will come with a letter from Lionel documenting the provenance of how Burdick got 10 of them from Goudey and sent one of them to Lionel. This card will be sold in our special live event in Cleveland. Thought it was a good candidate to add to this special event. By the way the Lionel Carter video will be completed soon and ready to distribute. It is an incredible 30 minute journey featuring my interview Lionel and Irma.<br /><br />All the best,<br />Doug

Archive
04-22-2007, 06:14 PM
Posted By: <b>Paul</b><p>The '33 Lajoie was printed on the '34 Goudey High Number sheets. Does anyone know if the Lajoie is actually rarer than your typical '34 Goudey High Number? Was Lajoie included on only some high number sheets? If so, who did Lajoie replace? And has anyone ever found a high number sheet without Lajoie?

Archive
04-22-2007, 06:39 PM
Posted By: <b>peter chao</b><p>Guys,<br /><br />Here's a '33 Lajoie question for you. As you know, the '33 Goudey's were printed on thicker stock than the '34 Goudey's. What about the '33 Lajoie, is it printed on the thicker stock or the thinner '34 Goudey cardboard. Thanks.<br /><br />Peter

Archive
04-22-2007, 06:44 PM
Posted By: <b>rand</b><p>Peter, good question...i have only held Lajoie's already graded so i do not know, but i think an email to sgc would answer it, they have graded quite a few this year. i would think its on the same stock as the 34's though.

Archive
04-22-2007, 06:48 PM
Posted By: <b>JimB</b><p>It is much tougher than regular high numbers since the Lajoie was never distributed in packs. It only went out to people who wrote to Goudey to complain that there was no #106 in their set.<br />JimB

Archive
04-22-2007, 06:52 PM
Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>But it did take the place of another card on the sheet, so one of those high numbers is a little tougher than the others. But I don't know which one.

Archive
04-22-2007, 06:52 PM
Posted By: <b>Ricky Y</b><p>I recall an old copy of SCD from the late 70's picturing a gentleman from the Minneapolis area holding his Lajoie card and explaining how he acquired it. He actually collected in the 30's and after biking all over town looking for the one missing card to complete his set and not finding any..he wrote to the Goudey company complaining that he couldn't find the missing card anywhere. He just about gave up and then in 1934 he received a letter from Goudey with the Lajoie card enclosed. ..and yeah the card he was holding after all these years looked still near mint.<br /><br /><br />Ricky

Archive
04-22-2007, 08:13 PM
Posted By: <b>rand</b><p>i think there may be an uncut sheet with the Lajoie in it, this would certainly answer the question to which cards it was printed with.

Archive
04-22-2007, 08:18 PM
Posted By: <b>jay behrens</b><p>there is a sheet with Lajoie on it, but I don't think there is one without the Lajoie.<br /><br />Jay<br><br>I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Archive
04-22-2007, 08:36 PM
Posted By: <b>peter chao</b><p>Jay,<br /><br />But then that would mean that there are as many '33 Lajoies as '34 high nos. and that can't be true. Unless some of the Lajoies were never distributed and subsequently destroyed.<br /><br />Peter

Archive
04-22-2007, 09:45 PM
Posted By: <b>Bob</b><p>Peter, I think that is exactly what happened.<br />tbob