PDA

View Full Version : Selling cards on ebay/inheritance from relatives

Archive
04-13-2007, 12:43 PM
Posted By: <b>joe</b><p>I noticed someone had 2 groups of cards left to them by relatives. This was in a post earlier. He/she lists 1 card a week, maybe 2 cards a week on ebay. It seems like it will take forever to sell all the cards he/she has to sell. Is this a good way to sell a large group of cards? Would anyone on the board sell his cards this way? Just seems like some of us won't be collecting by the time he/she sells the last card.<br /><br />Joe<br><br>Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Archive
04-13-2007, 12:53 PM
Posted By: <b>Cat</b><p>I think it makes some sense. As you sell cards, presumably lower end cards first, you build more and more card specific feedback and this will help you reach full sales price potential. If you dump a huge volume on EBay and no one knows you and you have zero card specific feedback buyers are leery. It used to be that feedback was feedback, but unfortunately we have seen some card scammers that had several hundred feedback but had either hacked an account, been unknowingly party to a scam (consigning for a scammer), or just decided to take the scamming plunge after several hundred low end but honest transactions in order to make the big score. I think we have learned to distrust the high feedback seller unless they have card specific feedback.

Archive
04-13-2007, 01:12 PM
Posted By: <b>Mike</b><p>Also depends on what cards they are, and also, how badly they need to be sold. As in needing money. If the cards are relatively rare, and the party isn't in need of a lot of cash, it makes sense to piece meal them out. If they are relatively common cards, then it makes no sense to do it this way. Just throw them on, and get rid of them. Also if inheritance is a factor, taxes/gains may need to be taken in consideration. Also depends on how many cards there are. if there are 30, thats one thing, but if there are 5,000, then that is a different matter also. many factors to be taken into consideration. And how much time does the family or individual have, to spend time dinging around on e bay, and sending things out? Answering questions etc. etc. many many differing viewpoints. Not one solid response can be given here.

Archive
04-13-2007, 01:34 PM
Posted By: <b>joe</b><p>I guess the feedback answer would be the best reason. I guess will see how long it takes to sell everything.<br /><br />Joe<br><br>Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Archive
04-13-2007, 01:39 PM
Posted By: <b>Brett</b><p>If you sold a few cards a week, I guess you'd make a few extra bucks in shipping. If you sell a lot of t206s in poor shape, i've seen them sell for $10-$15 each and thats in really poor shape when normally selling them one a time you wouldn't get that much for them.

Archive
04-13-2007, 01:56 PM
Posted By: <b>joe</b><p>These cards are selling for $75 - 110, and free shipping.<br /><br />Joe<br><br>Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Archive
04-13-2007, 02:09 PM
Posted By: <b>Joe Drouillard</b><p>I don't know if it makes sense to the seller you mentioned, but "one or two cards at a time" is how I plan to liquidate my collection when I retire. Sell a few cards, go on vacation, have a little fun with the extra cash. I've told my wife the collection is to be enjoyed today while we have it and enjoyed in the future as extra financial flexibility. <br /><br />Of course, our main retirement income is in mutual funds, property and other investments. If we get lucky with the cards, who knows, it may be the best investment of all. If not--I've still enjoyed every minute of the hobby.<br /><br />Best wishes,<br /><br />Joe

Archive
04-13-2007, 04:04 PM
Posted By: <b>Dave</b><p>I know of the seller you speak of, and he lives about 25 miles west of me. I think he is selling the cards to maximize profits. It's obvious that he has someone helping him with the grading and desriptions of the cards also, so it could be based upon how many cards have been made ready for auction. I think the cards he has sold have been way overpriced...I think the whole inheritance story helps to boost interest and prices on this sellers lots.