PDA

View Full Version : Novice question: PSA "Authentic"

Archive
03-26-2007, 10:51 AM
Posted By: <b>Ed</b><p>Why are cards submitted for "Authentic" label without grading.<br />Can it be assumed that all PSA graded cards ARE indeed authentic?

Archive
03-26-2007, 10:53 AM
Posted By: <b>dennis</b><p>if they are labled aut they may be handcut/trimmed/recolored etc....if they grade a reprint it will be labeled reprint<br />

Archive
03-26-2007, 10:53 AM
Posted By: <b>Bobby Binder</b><p>Authentic is usually put on a card that is real but has been altered in some shape or form. There could be a number of things, trimmed, color added, etc...

Archive
03-26-2007, 12:03 PM
Posted By: <b>Cobby33</b><p>The operative words in those phrases ar "may be" and "usually." There seems to be very little rhyme or reason in using the "Authentic" grade, as well as "OC," "MK," "MC," etc.- not to mention the number grades from one card to another. The uncertainty gets even worse when trying to compare the standards of one grading company to another.

Archive
03-26-2007, 12:25 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>(double post)

Archive
03-26-2007, 12:27 PM
Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>It can be assumed that a PSA 'authentic' csrd is authentic, but, as noted, there likely is an issue with it.<br /><br />Exceptions to the 'likely an issue with it' include things like handcut proofs, where there is nothing wrong with the card, but PSA doesn't give a number grade to such an unusual item. Also autographed cards may not receive a number grade, as the card owner only asked for the autograph to be authenticated. For many 'authentic'/no grade autographed card, the card itself is fine.<br />

Archive
03-26-2007, 01:20 PM
Posted By: <b>Mike</b><p>I realize there is no definate book, but as a general rule, how much does real minor trimming affect the price of a card? For example, if a card would normally grade as a PSA 3 and have a market value of $500, but has very minor trimming and is labeled "Authentic" by SGC or PSA, what would the card expect to sell for?

Archive
03-26-2007, 02:28 PM
Posted By: <b>Lee</b><p>A PSA 3 T206 Matty Portrait goes for around $500. I saw a PSA Authentic encapsulated Matty Port go for $150 that looked like it would grade a 2 without the problems that gave it the authentic designation. I would say 1/5 - 1/4 of the price of an untrimmed card.